Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Stuck CPC hand controller plug
      #5633930 - 01/20/13 09:07 PM

OK a couple of weeks ago I was observing and noticed one two occasions I got a No Response 17 message, which was cleared by hitting undo. At the end of the session the hand controller plug would not come out of the socket. It appeared to have sunk in further than normal. So I brought the scope home and set up in the garage but no luck getting the plug out of the socket . . . I did not want to pry or force it. Just left it in there, with the hand controller velcroed to the base to keep it from getting damaged by damgling or getting crushed when I put the scope in its travel case.

Tonight I was out for the first time and got a couple more No Response 16 messages, again corrected by undoing. Otherwise alignment and go tos were fine. I suspect the stuck plug is not making perfect ocntact, as the no response 16 and 17 messages related to communcation with the motor boards in both axes. Short of trying to pry the plug out with a small screwdriver, which I worry would do fatal damage, I am not sure what to do. I know that if I can get the plug out intact I ca n use it in an auxilliary port. But getting it out is the problem. Rather that send the whole thing back to Celestron for months, I am tempted to defork the scope and plunk it on a CGEM. Has anyone dealt with this most annoying problem?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Stuck CPC hand controller plug new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5633995 - 01/20/13 09:56 PM

My 8SE had the same issue......a small piece of debris had fallen into the HC socket(I use the one on the base) and caused a MC fault and I couldn't remove the HC plug from the socket. Keep wiggling it and if it's the same problem the debris will beak down releasing the plug. A reset to factory settings took care of the rest.

It's a poor design by someone with no real-world experience.

snowcrow
sage

Reged: 10/21/12

Loc: Vermont
      #5634016 - 01/20/13 10:07 PM

I had that problem, but with a modem not my scope. The small tab for releasing the plug cracked part way down, causing it not to release. I did have to use a small screwdriver to get it out. A long needle may work as well.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Stuck CPC hand controller plug new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5634299 - 01/21/13 02:04 AM

Bright light, magnifying glass, jewelers screwdriver and a steady hand. It's probably a bit of debris that was wandering around in the travel case and became lodged in the connector. Never store/transport them in a way that bits of foam, lint etc can find their way in. Ziplock bags with desiccant work well to keep out moisture and debris.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Stuck CPC hand controller plug new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5634945 - 01/21/13 01:09 PM

OK I got a small screwdriver and by inserting it behind the plug head I was able to pop the plug loose. It is the plug head rather than any debris in the socket . . . multiple insertions into the HC port and the AUX port have the same result. Probably the snap-in connector is just a bit bent. I am a little concerned over the No Response 16 and 17 messages, though they were intermittent. That indicates an occasional loss of connectivity with the motor boards from the plug I suspect. I will watch this next time out and may just replace the hand controller to see if that will solve it. One aspect was that on both occasions I was out in fairly chilly weather -- below freezing, in the 20s. Has anyone experienced NR messages from a cold operating environment?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5635060 - 01/21/13 02:16 PM

Mike,

I'd find a friend with an RJ crimping tool and then cut and re crimp a new RJ11/12 connector on that hand controller before I'd consider doing anything like replacing it.

Cold doesn't usually affect the electronics like that but it certainly has an effect on connectors and such so it's not unusual to have intermittent NR errors and the like occur more frequently in the real cold if you have already compromised connections.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Stuck CPC hand controller plug new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5639534 - 01/23/13 08:33 PM

Quote:

Mike,

I'd find a friend with an RJ crimping tool and then cut and re crimp a new RJ11/12 connector on that hand controller before I'd consider doing anything like replacing it.

Cold doesn't usually affect the electronics like that but it certainly has an effect on connectors and such so it's not unusual to have intermittent NR errors and the like occur more frequently in the real cold if you have already compromised connections.

+1

Stan

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics