Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)
PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5633886 - 01/20/13 08:23 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

5 new mirrors added. Changes from the 12/24/2012 edition are highlighted in yellow.

A significant addition is M651204, which is now the earliest 6 digit number known.

A higher resolution version is here:

Cave Mirror Registry 1/20/2013

A total of 141 mirrors are now in the registry.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5634241 - 01/21/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks Dan. Looking forward to some pics of the whole scope.

I think it's time for another Registry update.

You know me - there will be one with lots of pics!

Thanks for keeping up your list!

Meanwhile, I'm listening to my new favorite guitarist - Ewan Dobson (no relation).

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Cave Mirror Registry [Re: PiSigma]
      #5634400 - 01/21/13 06:42 AM

Great list and growing fast.

Rich (RLTYS)

eheiny

Reged: 09/27/08

Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #5638918 - 01/23/13 01:12 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

I just pulled the 10" mirror out of my scope to send it out for recoating and I found some markings scribed on the back of the mirror I hadn't noticed previously. I purchased the homemade scope ~ 20 years ago but apparently he used a Cave mirror. Now I know why it works well...
The markings aren't obvious on the ground glass back. Feel free to add it to the Cave registry
M-1705
MADE BY CAVE OPTICAL CO
67 3/4" F/L F/7
JUNE 1960

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: eheiny]
      #5641404 - 01/24/13 08:21 PM

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the addition. That is obviously an early one.

The engraving is different from the other early, back engraved mirrors I've seen in that it is all block lettering.

Aleko

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Georgia
      #5663725 - 02/05/13 02:57 PM

Rescued from nearby pawn shop...

M-783668-F/6-48 1/16" F.L.-SEPT-20-1978

Not sure of the model, as the pawn shop was way off base on the model. Would guess it is the most basic version. Scope in pretty good condition, primary mirror in excellent shape.

-Alex Langoussis
Acworth GA

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: Aleko]
      #5664205 - 02/05/13 07:24 PM

Thanks Alex. Sounds like a great rescue.

We'd love to see pictures of the scope and mirror engraving when you have a chance. 8" f/6 - most likely a Lightweight Deluxe.

Aleko

#5672409 - 02/10/13 02:00 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Jon, Here's a picture of the scope. Forgot to take a picture of the mirror when I had it out for cleaning, will do so next time.

The mirror is incredibly in like-new condition. I can't tell if it's a recoat or not; no stickers. I think the finder is not original, since there are a couple of covered holes under the bracket. Don't know yet if the drive works. The power cord is starting to fray and needs to be replaced. Hoping for a clear night to test the optics and drive.

Does the picture confirm the model? Has the cheap "rings" but does have setting circles. Mount seems as robust as my 10f8 mount.

Alex

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5672648 - 02/10/13 04:32 PM

Thanks Alex. That is not a Lightweight Deluxe as I had speculated. It has the heavy duty mount with 1.5" shafts. It would actually be a Model B Standard with 6" setting circles and clock drive added as options.

Aleko

#5673300 - 02/10/13 11:35 PM

Thanks for the model ID Jon!

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5769539 - 03/31/13 07:29 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Time for an update. If anyone has a Cave mirror that I do not have in the registry please contact me. I would love to add it.

It still astounds me that we have mirrors from every year of production except 1963 and 1964, which are right at the change from four digit to six digit serial numbers. Incredible!

3 new mirrors added. Changes from the 1/20/2013 edition are highlighted in yellow.

A higher resolution version is here:

Cave Mirror Registry 3/31/2013

A total of 144 mirrors are now in the registry.

Greg Eckes

Reged: 03/23/10

#5811345 - 04/20/13 04:24 PM

I just bought a 12.5" Cave Astrola Telescope. I believe that it is the Deluxe Model and an f/6 mirror. The tube is about 74.5" long. It has everything. Drives on both axis and a control box, finder and 2" eyepiece focuser. The mirror has no markings on it. The only thing that is has is a label that says " Aluminized by Panrco Mirrors. inc. #8564. I used to take my home made mirrors to Cave to be aluminized and they all had the Pancro Lable on them but never a number. Any idea about this mirror? It is ground on the back like Cave did and has no chips on it.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: Greg Eckes]
      #5811398 - 04/20/13 05:05 PM

Hi Greg and Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope forum!

Yes, Pancro did coat all of Cave's mirrors so the Pancro sticker is a good sign.

With historical claims that Cave made many more mirrors than the range in the Mirror Registry covers it seems there must be a lot of mirrors out there that were produced by Cave with no engraving.

It seems odd to me that Cave would produce a complete scope without an engraved mirror but I believe there was one post earlier in this thread where the owner was the original owner with the original mirror and it was not engraved. However, we haven't had a huge number of owners with complete scopes chime in saying they bought their scopes new from Cave and later discovered their mirrors were not engraved.

Do you have any idea what the age of your Cave is? A picture would help narrow this down. The earlier mirrors are engraved on the back not the edge and the engraving can be very faint. My 1958 mirror was very hard to see the engraving on until I got it in the sun. Sometimes the Pancro stickers also have a hand written date in pencil on them.

We'd love to see some pictures of your new Cave!

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #5812245 - 04/21/13 02:38 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Hi Jon. Your CMR is really coming along. I'm delighted to have another one for you. I bought this from the original owner here in NJ. He ordered just the OTA from Tom Cave in 1976. He also had it fitted with the legendary Sky-Micro Giant - simply wonderful focuser.

This one's a fast f/5, 10".

The pics aren't that great but the mirror reads as follows;

M762370
50 5/16 F.L.
CAVE OPTICAL CO.
DEC. 9, 1976

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: albert1]
      #5812246 - 04/21/13 02:39 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Pic 2

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

#5812247 - 04/21/13 02:48 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

The seller had a usable cradle made for it and I was easily able to adapt it to fit onto one of my RV6 mounts. Needed just a touch more counterweight :^). The OTA is not nearly as heavy as the 12.5" f/6 or f/8, this scope is a 10" f/5, so in a pinch the RV6 mount does actually support this scope as long as it's well balanced.

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

#5812250 - 04/21/13 02:50 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

My new grab-n-go.

Greg Eckes

Reged: 03/23/10

#5812254 - 04/21/13 02:54 AM

Jon, thanks for the info. It was a big help. You are right. I looked on the back and found that it was signed! It was extremely light. Because the mirror was ground on the back it was almost invisible. It looked like scratches to the unsuspecting eye. I traced over it in pencil so that I could read it. I had to use a flashlight and magnifying glasses to see it. I had to shine the light through the side of the mirror. I will take some pictures and send them in. Anyway, it is signed in three lines "Cave Optical, July 1964, F/6, 74-1/2" F/L. (I added the comas and hyphen) One thing I found interesting about the secondary mirror. It has no adjusting screws to adjust the tilt and the mirror is glued to the secondary holder. The only adjustment to the secondary is the center threaded rod that lets you center the secondary in the focuser. It this common?
Thanks again for the tip. Now I can sleep tonight.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5812997 - 04/21/13 12:42 PM

Hi Albert,

Thank you much for the addition. Those Sky Micro Giant focusers are excellent. I have the 1.25" version on my Model B Deluxe and love it.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cave Mirror Registry new [Re: Greg Eckes]
      #5813008 - 04/21/13 12:51 PM

Greg,

That is great that you found the engraving!

Is there no mirror number? With a date of July 1964 it would be very significant to have the serial number of this mirror.

If you read through this thread a recurring topic is the big gap we have from the last four digit mirror - currently 2141, and the first six digit mirror - M651204. I have no mirrors recorded from 1963 or 1964. Your scope would close up the big gap we have in the registry at the change from four digit numbers to six digit numbers. Since yours is engraved on the back I'm going to speculate it will be a four digit number, probably with the "M" in front but maybe not.

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30237

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics