Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
Just joined the Nexstar 11 GPS family new
      #5634194 - 01/21/13 12:06 AM

I finally took the plunge and moved up from my Nexstar 8SE this weekend and purchased a barely used Nexstar 11. I got extremely lucky and thanks to the hand controller not working (a reseat of the cables to the circuitboard cleared it up), I got it for $650. That's including an assortment of eyepieces from 7.5mm to a really nice 40mm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: Just joined the Nexstar 11 GPS family [Re: Thanatos78621]
      #5634507 - 01/21/13 08:52 AM

Richard, Nice find. The difference from the 8" to the 11" is huge for DSO's IMO. Also, I feel the 11" Fork Mounts are the perfect blend of Aperture, portability and comfort!
Enjoy!

Mike

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Just joined the Nexstar 11 GPS family new [Re: junomike]
      #5636904 - 01/22/13 01:20 PM

Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the 8. At some point the thought of setting up the beast will give you pause where as the 8 won't. You'll be glad you have a smaler scope around. The two compliment each other rather well.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Just joined the Nexstar 11 GPS family new [Re: rboe]
      #5637387 - 01/22/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the 8. At some point the thought of setting up the beast will give you pause where as the 8 won't. You'll be glad you have a smaler scope around. The two compliment each other rather well.

That's why I have a 10" dob. I can carry that outside on the cold nights when Jupiter and the moon are a few degrees apart. No way I was setting my CPC1100 up in -15 windchill.

Jim

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Just joined the Nexstar 11 GPS family new [Re: rboe]
      #5639235 - 01/23/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

True enough. I have my Meade LT8 up for sale after getting a C11. But I have yet to take my C11 camping with me, but I used to take my LT8 almost every time because it was easy to carry up into the RV tripod and all!

Can't afford to keep both, but it would be nice to have the smaller scope for portability!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1331

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics