Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Dream setup on Other Site
      #5635394 - 01/21/13 05:22 PM

Wow. Two complete sets of ZAO-II, a Mk V binoviewer and a Zeiss 2X Abbe Barlow for sale as one kit. Don't see that very often!

Of course I don't consider the 4mm or 6mm to be suitable for binoviewing...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5637667 - 01/22/13 08:22 PM

So what was the price of that set? Not a member on AM...

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: neotesla]
      #5637853 - 01/22/13 10:04 PM

$9500, and it's still available.

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5638840 - 01/23/13 12:32 PM

Ouch!

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: neotesla]
      #5639273 - 01/23/13 05:22 PM

At that price I think I will refrain from bidding. "She who must be obeyed", would never let me loose with that much money.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5640257 - 01/24/13 09:29 AM

Quote:

$9500, and it's still available.

That's why it is still available!!! Even a collector likes to think they got a little bit of a deal.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: t.r.]
      #5641305 - 01/24/13 07:27 PM

Yeah, I'd say it's about 2 grand over what it should be realistically sold for.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5641336 - 01/24/13 07:48 PM

I agree. The MkVs, barlow, and box are worth around $1500 used. That leaves $8K, or $1K for each eyepiece - about $300 over current market value. So the full kit is $2K+ over what they would fetch separately - but there is definitely some added value of finding these all together in one kit. I'm sure the seller could get $8K+.

Again though I don't see using 4mm or even 6mm orthos for binoviewing (Sergio maybe you can share your experiences in this). A more sensible idea is to get one pair of 16mm ZAO-IIs and Glasspath your way to higher power.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5641848 - 01/25/13 01:35 AM

Johnny, I have been able to use the 6mm with good results one time. That night Mars was splendid, big and full of color and detail. As for the 4mm's they are usually too much power for my dob. Also, when you insert them into the Mark Vs, they sit really low against the eyepiece collets. This makes it uncomfortable to get close to them because my nose gets in the way. I have been thinking about getting extensions so that they stick out a bit more. I think that the 4mm's will be really nice with a large refractor. My friend should be getting his 175mm AP next week sometime and I will test it then.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5641851 - 01/25/13 01:38 AM

Hmmm... just thought about that, 175mm AP, Mark Vs and ZAO IIs, me oh me oh my!!!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5641947 - 01/25/13 05:02 AM

Why don't you try it on yer FS102? With the 4mm ZAO-II you'd have 200X and .5 exit pupil.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5641987 - 01/25/13 06:37 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... just thought about that, 175mm AP, Mark Vs and ZAO IIs, me oh me oh my!!!

You shouldn't be disappointed. I've been using that combination on Jupiter since the scope arrived and have been happy with it. I've used the MkV with the 4 and 6 ZAO's and had no problems (assuming the seeing and scope support the magnification), the MkV prisms are accurate enough that there are no obvious aberrations I have noticed. I only use the 1.25 GPC, I'd much rather change eyepieces or add the Barcon than change the GPC to obtain higher magnification. Use the 4's with an inexpensive binoviewer and it is easy to see the aberrations introduced by their prisms.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: Paul G]
      #5641998 - 01/25/13 06:48 AM

Thanks Gus, that's quite a testament to the quality of the Mark Vs. I may have to revise my prejudice against sub-9mm binoviewing. Truthfully though I like a little more eye relief.

I see there is a 4mm ZAO-II on the other site for $570, that seems like a nice deal.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5642077 - 01/25/13 08:18 AM

I remember the same setup, same exact pics, on the other site a few months ago for $11,000. So the price dropped $1500, and some of language in the ad changed I think.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5642357 - 01/25/13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks Gus, that's quite a testament to the quality of the Mark Vs. I may have to revise my prejudice against sub-9mm binoviewing. Truthfully though I like a little more eye relief.

So do I. For that reason I usually use Radians or t6 Naglers in the short focal length range, more comfortable to use.

stevenwav
sage

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: New England
      #5642386 - 01/25/13 11:32 AM

Just a note - the 4mm on the other site is a ZAO I - still a great price and I am surprised it is still available.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5643222 - 01/25/13 07:39 PM

Quote:

Why don't you try it on yer FS102? With the 4mm ZAO-II you'd have 200X and .5 exit pupil.

I don't have the FS-102 on a motorized mount. Keeping it in the FOV manually is a pain in the butt. I ordered one of the new motorized Nova Hitch mounts so when I get that, I will be able to do it comfortably with the FS-102.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: Paul G]
      #5643237 - 01/25/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You shouldn't be disappointed. I've been using that combination on Jupiter since the scope arrived and have been happy with it. I've used the MkV with the 4 and 6 ZAO's and had no problems (assuming the seeing and scope support the magnification), the MkV prisms are accurate enough that there are no obvious aberrations I have noticed. I only use the 1.25 GPC, I'd much rather change eyepieces or add the Barcon than change the GPC to obtain higher magnification. Use the 4's with an inexpensive binoviewer and it is easy to see the aberrations introduced by their prisms.

Not disappointed at all, in actuality, I am really excited and looking forward to it. I purchased the ZAO IIs with the intention of someday getting a large high quality refractor to use them with. While I am not in the position to purchase such a refractor yet, at least I have a friend is getting one but doesn't not have ZAOs or a Mark V. Maybe in the future I will get the 12" bino apo that Markus is selling, that would be the perfect compliment to the ZAO IIs.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5643594 - 01/25/13 11:45 PM

I had extraordinary views of the Moon especially, and Jupiter with my FS102NSV and MkVs at 200X using my DM6, with no problem tracking manually. It actually takes over a minute for Jupiter to drift through the FOV at 200X even with a ZAO-II. I still regularly take my FS152 out in the backyard with the same setup.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: panhard]
      #5644226 - 01/26/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

"She who must be obeyed"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2919

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics