Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Post processing freeware software? new
      #5634788 - 01/21/13 11:53 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for image post-processing software that can handle your basic png, tiff,bmp, jpg like files. Don't yet feel like i want to subject myself to the cost nor learning curve of photoshop...

Al

P.S. Free/shareware preferred. Don't have a lot of time for this, so just want to see what is possible...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5634958 - 01/21/13 01:17 PM

try GIMP!, it has levels and curves same as photoshop. http://www.gimp.org/

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Post processing freeware software? [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #5635426 - 01/21/13 05:42 PM

GIMP! And. If you shoot Canon DSLR, try their software Photo digital professional. It has some very nice features like noise reduction

Ed

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Richmond VA
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5636394 - 01/22/13 08:41 AM

I would not use Gimp since is shreads your photos, cant handle the 16 bit photo yet. I would just use the free Photoshop CS2 and use the numerous tutorials out there on how to process your images.

bob71741
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/16/08

Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: D_talley]
      #5636812 - 01/22/13 12:37 PM

I have not had problems w/GIMP; not having a stable 16bit solution may be a problem to some, but not to the other 99%.

Better yet is IrfanView for simple imaging tasks; free and found here: http://www.irfanview.com/

daev
Technically Enlightened

Reged: 03/10/04

Loc: On the edge of the desert
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: bob71741]
      #5636937 - 01/22/13 01:43 PM

I've never seen GIMP shred a photo. 16bit processing is here for GIMP already, but you need to compile the source code to get it working until the next major release. The interface is very similar to Photoshop, to the point that you can do PS tutorials in GIMP without too much effort. It's an outstanding free editor/processor, but I think it's lacking easily accessible batching abilities.

RawTherapee is a good one as well. Easy to use, if a little unconventional to those of us used to the PS/GIMP interface. It plays well with RAW files, and is fully-functional in 16bit color space with a wide array of useful tools.

Irfanview is the app I missed the most after moving to linux. It's quick, lightweight and has an amazing collection of useful, basic tools and batch functions. If you're running Windows, this one is a must... IMO it's the best all-around image viewer/converter available.

dave

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5637770 - 01/22/13 09:07 PM

I don't know if Christian Buil's Iris would be useful, it is basically designed for astronomical image processing. Christian Buil was one of the first amateur astronomers to move to digital, making the switch about 1980.

Iris

Jon

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: D_talley]
      #5639137 - 01/23/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

I would not use Gimp since is shreads your photos, cant handle the 16 bit photo yet. I would just use the free Photoshop CS2 and use the numerous tutorials out there on how to process your images.

Cloudy Nights doesn't endorse the "Free" CS2 download, because its not really intended for general download. Unless you're a previous purchaser, downloading that application is technically a copyright violation.

Also, I don't know what GIMP "shedding" your photos means. It makes no changes to the original, and it has a zillion layers of undo if you mess something up.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5639353 - 01/23/13 06:14 PM

Whether Cloudy Nights endorses it or not, it's out there, and is far better than something like Gimp. Adobe has _released the Key Code_ for this product, so I rather doubt they have any trouble with _anybody_ downloading it, and doubt they will come after you for "piracy," matey.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5639944 - 01/24/13 02:01 AM

I'm pretty confident Adobe isn't going to be going after anybody for this, but Cloudy Nights is not going to be hosting discussions about it or allowing links to it.

Here's the official Adobe position on the matter:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-acrobat-7-acti...

Quote:

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. ...

The serial numbers provided as a part of the download may only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Promoting those downloads on Cloudy Nights and linking to the site for individuals who are not actual owners of the products is considered a TOS violation.

Edited by llanitedave (01/24/13 02:05 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5640211 - 01/24/13 08:56 AM

Quote:

Promoting those downloads on Cloudy Nights and linking to the site for individuals who are not actual owners of the products is considered a TOS violation.

I DIDN'T PROMOTE ANYTHING. I simply stated the "what is." SHEESH!

If Gimp is your favorite program, by all means have at it.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5640291 - 01/24/13 09:53 AM

When you mention something that is out there you leave an implied promotion if not an explicit one and there in is the rub.

Not free but you can get reasonable prices on Amazon; Adobe Photoshop Elements. 90%+ functionality of the full bore Photoshop and you at a current version which is always nice. Especially if you have a newer camera; they don't seem to add RAW support for newer cameras in the old versions. Certainly for unsupported older versions.

Mike Phillips
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78...
Re: Post processing freeware software? new [Re: rboe]
      #5648095 - 01/28/13 12:52 PM

I use both Gimp and PS and they both have a special place in my tool box. Another good one is Iris, which does everything from stacking to wavelets and lots in between!

Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1031

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics