Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
6" Aluminum Pier for CPC1100
      #5635500 - 01/21/13 06:32 PM

Is this 6”D, .25” wall, 10” flange, aluminum pier at all suitable, for a CPC1100? The 1100 (mount+OTA+stuff) weighs >65lbs. I expect at some point to add a wedge.

Right now, it is mostly visual and video (17-second max exposure) but I am looking at Mallincams too.

The same vendor also sells these locally on CL and says he can supply adapter plates if needed. I have one that might fit, but my basic concern is the tube itself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: 6" Aluminum Pier for CPC1100 new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5636556 - 01/22/13 10:12 AM

Certainly a solid pier, depends on how you attach to your concrete pad or base. You can also fill the tube with sand to give it a lot of mass and no vibration. Is the bottom plate solid to hold any sand?

You might also consider making your own to your specs. Locate a local pipe supplier and spec out the dimensions YOU need. Also price out steel versus Aluminum. I would personally go with a slightly larger diameter base plate. Most steel and pipe suppliers also offer some fabrication and welding services.

tadpoletoo

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: NW Michigan
Re: 6" Aluminum Pier for CPC1100 new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5637544 - 01/22/13 06:54 PM

hi, Is the tubing round or square? Before you buy you may want to check the junkyard. I bought a column from a bowling alley at the junk yard, 10ft long 1/4 in thick steel wall with a half in thick plate welded on one end for scrap price. Bury it 4ft and put a few bags of concrete in the hole and it is very stable.i did not fill mine with sand, but i did drill a hole in it to let the air out when i set it in concrete.
I am trying to find out if the hole spacing on the Meade super wedge will work with the 14 in. lx200 . Apparently Meade says it only works to 12in, just wondering why? if you send me a pm i will send some pics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 516

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics