Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Full mono DSLR.
      #5635667 - 01/21/13 08:34 PM

Before you get your DSLR modified for astro, you might want to read a thread in the vendor forum about a small start-up that is modding Nikons to full mono. He's testing Nikons because they seem to be easier than Canons at the moment. And, he says he can do it at a very competitive price. We should all hope he succeeds. It could be a game changer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5635691 - 01/21/13 08:53 PM

I've been watching that with interest!!

There is another company that does Canon's but for the price they charge I could get a "really" nice CCD.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: zerro1]
      #5635732 - 01/21/13 09:15 PM

my biggest concern with this is that they(ANY person/company doing this) are removing the micro-lenses along with the CFA...(on 99% of models)
Wouldnt that have a massive impact on the performance of the sensor..?
I understand that you gain now having a mono sensor, but you have just physically altered how many photons are able to reach each photo-receptor...and that means LESS photons per pixel..right?

Dont get me wrong, a mono DSLR would be great.....for AP!! (I see absolutely zero market for this in any other form of photography..)...but I know one thing, I would definitely not pay the prices wanted by one company that does this..
Like Robert said, I would much rather get a REALLY nice CCD for that kind of $

Now, if they could make a 5D Mark II Mono...for less than ~$1500-1800, I would probably jump on that in a heartbeat...
AFTER I saw a bit more images and data about these cameras/mods..

Dangit...now I am going to go and try to make my own mono DSLR with an old 1000D!
Stinking CN...always making me want to go out and spend more money on this hobby

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5635865 - 01/21/13 10:35 PM

Let me chime in with my point of view.

12 years ago laptops were over $5000 each, today you can get a good laptop for less than $500 and a good netbook for less than $300.

10 years ago 17" flat lcd monitors were over $2000, today larger monitors are less than $200.

4 years ago I bought my Canon 40D for $2000 + a few hundreds buckaroos to get it modified.

Last week I bought a brand new Nikon D5100 for $429. As soon as I get it later this week I'm sending to Jim to get it MONOfied for a nominal fee of $250. My MONOfied D5100 will have cost me a whooping $679.

I'm willing to bet by MONOfied D5100 will outperform my 40D for less than 30% for its original cost. Where can I buy a 16 megapixels mono CCD for $679?

An affordable monosensor DSLR right from the front gate, not having to wait 10 years for them to be at a reasonable price point... I'm all in, if anything else to support the pure R&D.

Just my 2 cents... + $679 for a total of $679.02 I guess

Guylain

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: guyroch]
      #5635966 - 01/21/13 11:33 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

I'm glad somebody started this thread because I finally have imaging results that back up my claims for improved sensitivity. I feel a monochrome sensored DSLR will be most useful for the urban narrowband nebula imager, check out all the Ha cloud detail in only one hour of integration. Image was shrunk 50% to satisfy CN size constraints and to hide my crummy unguided star shapes!

This is from a noncurrent Nikon D90. I expect a D5100 with the newer CMOS sensor to perform even better, at least as well as the competing Canon model.

fishonkevinModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/29/07

Loc: Michigan
Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #5636001 - 01/21/13 11:52 PM

I've also been following Jimmy's announcement thread in Vendors Forum. The straight mono results are impresive.
BTW, here is the link to Jimmy's Vendor Thread.

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: fishonkevin]
      #5646137 - 01/27/13 02:09 PM

Just wanted to let folks know that I just converted a Nikon D5100 which is emerging as the favourite Nikon AP body. Excellent noise control and under $400 for a brand new body while they make room for the D5200.

canukLX90
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/25/08

Loc: B.C. Canada
      #5646611 - 01/27/13 06:24 PM

BackyardEOS / NIK and a mono DSLR - a dream come true.
That would be the perfect imaging setup for me. Thanks
for your efforts and waiting for the combo package for
purchase!

PJ

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: canukLX90]
      #5646728 - 01/27/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

BackyardEOS / NIK and a mono DSLR - a dream come true.
That would be the perfect imaging setup for me. Thanks
for your efforts and waiting for the combo package for
purchase!

PJ

Really... it's me dream setup too

Thank you for the vote of confidence, BackyardNIK is in the works.

Guylain

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
      #5646756 - 01/27/13 07:26 PM

I've been looking for a D5100 body, have yet to see one for under $400. Can I ask where you've seen that sub $400 price? -Tim

Quote:

Just wanted to let folks know that I just converted a Nikon D5100 which is emerging as the favourite Nikon AP body. Excellent noise control and under $400 for a brand new body while they make room for the D5200.

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: zawijava]
      #5646889 - 01/27/13 08:37 PM

on Ebay, offering factory refurbished brand new D5100 with 1 year warranty for $369!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-16-2-MP-1080p-HD-...

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
      #5646999 - 01/27/13 09:40 PM

What size is the sensor in the 5100? What size filters would you have to shoot through to eliminate vignetting?

I have a really thin filter wheel, only 17 mm, but it is only 1.25". Thought I guess at the price those nikons are going at it doesn't matter, you could afford to crop out the image.

I had been looking at an atik 314l camera but the Nikon would have almost ten times the pixel count, at one third the cost!

Mike

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Full mono DSLR. new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5647009 - 01/27/13 09:47 PM

Mike,

It also depends on your scope... but expect some vignetting with 1.25" filters for sure.

Guylain

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1225

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics