Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)
nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5619892 - 01/12/13 10:05 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

And finally M1 as well taken with the Nexstar 8se. I hope you enjoy these images . I really like my Nexstar it has been completely problem free and a joy to use.
John

Edited by nomosnow (01/12/13 10:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5620716 - 01/13/13 12:44 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Hi Nomosnow,

Again, some great imaging; particularly from the original mount, although why, for this type of discipline, didn't you use your CG5 mount ?

Nevertheless, there's some beautiful filaments captured in your M1 (see attached).

Also, I'd be interested to know what exposure time you used, particularly with respect to your M1, because I tried imaging it the other night, (was thwarted by fog ) but my preview "pics" indicated I needed 5 minutes/frame using my nexstar 8i at f/6.3 with my Atik 314L which I would never be able to achieve from my Nexstar 8i mount. (As you know, I now use a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro exclusively).

In any event, many congratulations !

Best regards,
Tel

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5621003 - 01/13/13 02:59 PM

Hi Tel
Thanks for your kind comments. I use my CG-5 for planetary imaging but I don't do any alignment for planetary work (just position my scope buggy in the same spot each time and do a solar system align) .But due to the more accurate polar alignment required for deepsky imaging and when it gets to -20 deg C it is just too cold too for me to use the CG-5 due to its long!!! alignment procedure.
So I have chosen the quick and easy Nexstar 8SE for my cold weather scope.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5625666 - 01/16/13 05:47 AM

Wow, simply amazing images for an alt/az.

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5633659 - 01/20/13 05:53 PM

Taken with a 102SLT and DSLR, something like 30 exposures of 30 seconds each.

Edited by Mgauthier (01/20/13 05:54 PM)

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5633782 - 01/20/13 06:58 PM

Simply stunning.

Thanks for posting.

Art

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5634220 - 01/21/13 12:33 AM

Well done Mgauthier, excellent balance, color, all that.

Awesome shot.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5634389 - 01/21/13 06:37 AM

Great imaging, Mgauthier.

Best regards,
Tel

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

#5635282 - 01/21/13 04:13 PM

Thanks all! And to think, people give the SLT a bad rep like the annoying sleazy cousin in the Nexstar family always showing up to parties uninvited and sleeping on your couch.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5635805 - 01/21/13 10:01 PM

You forgot...and eating all your food and flirting with your wife! oops

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5647030 - 01/27/13 09:56 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Here's my first attempt at Jupiter using the original nextimage camera. It was an extreamely windy and partly cloudy night. I caught a clearing when Jupiter was high in the sky. I proccessed in Registax 6 and Gimp. Thanks for looking and feel free to comment and reproccess.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5647306 - 01/28/13 01:22 AM

Excellent M 42 Mgauthier.

James, your Jupiter is very good, try with a barlow next time now that you would have grasped gamma / contrast / shutter etc.,

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5648338 - 01/28/13 02:25 PM

I used a 2x TV powermate. How much more power is possible. I was thinking either the 4x or 5x or should I goto 3x?

TmaninTn
sage

#5664570 - 02/06/13 01:51 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Recent shot of Jupiter, about 600 frames 3X barlow with the Neximage cam (the old one). Seeing was kinda meh, but it was tracking well so I snapped this one. I plan on messing about with some of the m42 shots I took, there could be some worthy of processing.

Joe Turner

Reged: 07/01/12

Loc: Louisiana
      #5689928 - 02/19/13 11:04 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

My first post to CN forums! (Apologize in advance for its length.)
When I was 12, I spent 6 months grinding my own mirror to make an 8" Newtonian. About that same time, Celestron came out with their distinctive orange 8" SCT and I said "one day I'm going to get one of those!” Fast forward over 40 years and I am the proud owner of a new Nexstar 8SE.
I have learned so much from CloudyNights on setup, alignment, tracking, astrophoto techniques. Many posters have commented that M42 is probably not the best first target for an amateur, but how can you resist during winter? Here is my first astrophoto attempt. Prime focus, 6.3FR, 20 sec exposures, ISO 1600, about 140 frames, DSS, then Photoshop.
My question (if this is the wrong thread for it, please forgive me and point me in the right direction) has to do with not being able to photograph anything above 50 deg altitude because the camera hits the base. I have modified my scope with “Ron’s rail” and added extra weight to the back end by putting on my camera flash unit and still cannot balance the scope far enough forward for the camera to miss the base. Numerous posts speak of the best seeing for photography is near the zenith, but I am severely limited in what I can image. How do most of you solve this problem?
Joe Turner

TmaninTn
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Joe Turner]
      #5690004 - 02/20/13 12:03 AM

Welcome to the Nexstar loony bin Joe, great group of folks here. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with and answer to your question about the clearance, I haven't had that issue yet but I know what you mean.

And that is one great shot of M42! Congrats!

Tel
Postmaster

#5690216 - 02/20/13 05:42 AM

Hi Joe,

A very warm welcome to CN and to this particular, Nexstar forum ! Also, many congratulations on an excellent image of M42.

Talking of mirror grinding, I did exactly the same at the same time; (i.e. 40 years ago);with an 8" blank. I've still got it and have it on good authority that, probably more by luck than judgement, I managed to figure it well !

I'll bet though you got further with yours than I did with mine. I never ever did get around to polishing it !

But to your question.

Assuming the addition of "Ron's Rail" indeed allows you, in theory to clear the mount base with your camera assembly if you push the OTA forward enough to achieve this, I further assume that your concern is with front end heaviness produced which, in turn, is likely to cause the OTA to drop. (?)

If this is the case, then if the weight of the added flash unit is insufficient to counter balance, there is a counterweight system available from JMI which might prove more successful. (Link below). This indicates the counterweight placement forward on the rail, but presumably it can also be placed aft; with or without some ingenuity or improvisation.

Also, by the same token, don't be reluctant to make small, tightening adjustments to the altitude axis clutch in order to help support the extra foreward distribution of weight.

As to imaging at the Zenith, and of course this position is likely to be the clearest on any given night, it is however certainly not a good idea to attempt imaging here where Alt.Az. mounts are concerned. Couple the idiosyncrasies of the spur gear drive with the azimuth axis "algorithmic contortions" it needs to perform to keep track of the target directly above this axis, and one can imagine the anomalies which inevitably will arise.

http://www.jmitelescopes.com/buy_mounting_brackets.htm

Hoping this helps,
Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5690336 - 02/20/13 08:12 AM

More great images by the A.P lads (Those who are able to get out that is). Please, keep them coming, there so good to look at.
Well done on your first attempt James. I'm sure the guys will keep you on the straight and narrow as far as A.P goes.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Joe Turner

Reged: 07/01/12

Loc: Louisiana
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5691636 - 02/20/13 07:54 PM

Thanks Tel,

I actually keep a bookmark to a 2011 post you made detailing the alignment process (slight front end heavy, up and right movement etc) that helped me tremendously. I was worried about making it TOO front end heavy. If I go to the full extent of my very short "Ron's rail", I can just clear the base and I am about 1 inch forward of what I had marked as "slightly" front end heavy. (no room for JMI weight) Should I put it that far forward then re-adjust my Anti-backlash settings? Is that what you mean by tightening the altitude axis clutch? Thanks again.
Joe

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Joe Turner]
      #5692193 - 02/21/13 05:05 AM

Hi Joe,

I'm pleased and flattered to learn that particular list of instructions of mine helped !

In terms of your above question though:---

No, adjustment of the altitude clutch doesn't refer to backlash adjustment although it's always wise to double check after such.

In this case however, it relates to the amount of friction one imparts to the altitude axis so that its elevation is not causing the altitude motor to labour while, at the same time, the OTA is prevented from slipping or falling under its own weight.

It's a very simple operation which has been detailed by our CN and Nexstar forum colleague, Art Dent, and is featured in the above "Sticky" on this forum page entitled;

"Links and Best of Celestron nexstar Forum".

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4057680/page...

From this, go into the subtitle; "Useful Forum Threads" and then to "Altitude Nut Adjustment".

Footnote: Don't be too faint-hearted about making the adjustment. Place your OTA as far forward on the dovetail as is necessary to give your camera a minimum but safe amount of mount base clearance and then, with everything secure, elevate the OTA to the Zenith, ensuring that there is no slippage, (i.e. the altitude motor elevates it "tooth for tooth" cleanly).

Next, as Art describes: from the Zenith position, bring the OTA back down under "full steam" (Slew Rate 9) to the horizontal, keeping that other hand hovering, but not touching, beneath it, purely as a safeguard.

At the horizontal, remove your finger smartly from the control button. If the OTA stops dead or almost dead, (and I believe there is a safeguard mechanism in these later 'scopes, as opposed to my older Nexstar 8i, whereby the OTA is not so abruptly [immediately] arrested in order to place less load on the motor/bearings); then that's fine: no adjustment should be necessary.

Any tendency however, to drop under its own weight, i.e. continue downwards towards the base of the mount after the button has been released, will require a little more tightening of the adjustment nut.

Any doubts or problems with this and/or other matters, please let us know. We're all here to help.

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (02/21/13 05:57 AM)

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56170

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics