Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Julio
sage

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: tomharri]
      #5644362 - 01/26/13 12:54 PM

Whos to say the HD series scopes are not just diffraction limited as well. I keep reading that perhaps Celestron hand picks their HD scopes ensuring perhaps a 1/6 PV. I really hope these rumors are correct.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: Julio]
      #5646336 - 01/27/13 04:12 PM

When these rumors are correct, why isn't Celestron make this part of their marketing?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: bcolenj]
      #5647115 - 01/27/13 10:44 PM

Why Edge?

Why not either a standard C8 OTA ($799 brand spanking new) or a standard C9.25 (about the same price as an 8" Edge, new)?

If you're not imaging, I'd save the dough and get a standard SCT unit.

- Jim

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5647198 - 01/27/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

Why Edge?

Why not either a standard C8 OTA ($799 brand spanking new) or a standard C9.25 (about the same price as an 8" Edge, new)?

I used to have that opinion too, before I began observing with my EdgeHD. If you keep your object centered in a standard SCT, the view will be very similar between the scopes, but the point is that with the Edge you don't have to keep the object centered in the scope. I realized after using the EdgeHD how often I would fiddle with the object placement in other scopes. With the Edge, I don't have to fiddle anymore because the image looks good just about anywhere in the eyepiece.

Between the two scopes listed, the C8 Edge is a clear winner, imo...more aperture, f/10 vs f/15, flat field and well corrected.

Patrick

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5647582 - 01/28/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

Why Edge?

Why not either a standard C8 OTA ($799 brand spanking new) or a standard C9.25 (about the same price as an 8" Edge

- Jim

Good idea but what about pin point stars and tight double stars? Is it good? If good then it should be good for planets and moon.

Edited by Illinois (01/28/13 08:35 AM)

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: Illinois]
      #5652767 - 01/30/13 04:57 PM

patrick, just wondering if you considered the 9.25 edge before you decided on the 8". im still considering another sct. i have a 8" meade. i would go for the 11" in a heart beat if i was sure the cg5 would handle it to my satisfaction.thanks, donnie

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: Patrick]
      #5653193 - 01/30/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why Edge?

I used to have that opinion too, before I began observing with my EdgeHD. If you keep your object centered in a standard SCT, the view will be very similar between the scopes, but the point is that with the Edge you don't have to keep the object centered in the scope. I realized after using the EdgeHD how often I would fiddle with the object placement in other scopes. With the Edge, I don't have to fiddle anymore because the image looks good just about anywhere in the eyepiece.

Between the two scopes listed, the C8 Edge is a clear winner, imo...more aperture, f/10 vs f/15, flat field and well corrected.

Patrick

Yep. Helps to actually look through a scope before offering an opinion on it.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: donnie3]
      #5653287 - 01/30/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

patrick, just wondering if you considered the 9.25 edge before you decided on the 8". im still considering another sct. i have a 8" meade. i would go for the 11" in a heart beat if i was sure the cg5 would handle it to my satisfaction.thanks, donnie

Yes I did. I was kind of back and forth between the 9.25" and the 8". I went with the 8" for several reasons...

1) Cost. The 9.25" is $1000 more than the 8"...that's a lot of money for an extra inch and a quarter. I could not justify it in my mind.

2) I already have a CPC1100.

3) I want to use this scope to image with and an 8" has a little less focal length to deal with.

4) The 8" focal reducer will be the next one released by Celestron, hopefully very soon (I've got one on order). The 9.25" focal reducer release well be a while yet.

5) The 8" EdgeHD is more portable than the 9.25". Celestron makes a nice padded carry case for their Nexstar 4/5/6" scopes and the 8" OTA.

6) The 8" EdgeHD rides on my CGEM mount with no problem. My AT66ED sits on the 8" OTA and the CGEM can be balanced with only (1) 17 lb counterweight and (1) 11 lb counterweight.

7) It's very nice looking scope!

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: ensign]
      #5653297 - 01/30/13 09:59 PM

Quote:

Yep. Helps to actually look through a scope before offering an opinion on it.

True.

Patrick

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: Patrick]
      #5653346 - 01/30/13 10:30 PM

thanks patrick,for explaining your reasons. donnie

jsrj98

Reged: 02/21/08

Re: Orion 180 Mak-Cas vs Celestron C8 EdgeHD new [Re: skyjim]
      #5654015 - 01/31/13 10:22 AM

Quote:

I have been for many years pro MCT's over SCT's, the flater FOV and contrast just seemed to always be better plus the detail on lunar was always great. My last MCT was a Intes Micro M703 with close to 1/8th wave optics and was an excellent scope (I always wanted an M703 for years and finally got a good one) but I had a chance to look threw a C8HD and everything changed. The C8HD had a nice flat FOV, no coma could be detected, stars were sharp and the focus was the same regardless of were the object was in the FOV, contrast even on lunar and planetary was better than anything that I have seen on for an SCT and IMO spanked the MCT (the Intes Micro MCT's are very well baffled), detail was even sharper on every target plus on DSO's it was soo much better. Both scopes are F10's and some say the F15 MCT's would be better, I am sorry I fail to agree that its gonna make that much difference cause the F15 scopes seem not to perform all that well on DSO's compared to F10's. My call would be with the C8HD, I have owned way too many MCT/SCT's in the past and the HD scope has done everything I would expect from the scope, its easy to mount and very portable too, the optics are spot on, celestron has done a real excellent job.

I've owned my Edge8 for one week now, and this has been my experience. In the past I've owned 1 MCT, 2 Mak-Newts, 1 highly tuned 'planetary' Newt and 4 ED or APO refractors. I've imaged with 6 of them. After just one week, I've concluded that the Edge8 fits my visual needs better than any of them. When I get the dedicated focal reducer from Celestron, then I'll know how well it does imaging for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3643

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics