Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Tasco 11TR Star Test
      #5635993 - 01/21/13 11:46 PM

Well, after a installing a good quality diagonal, modifying the diagonal mount and fixing/ modding the tube I finally got it out for some good viewing. Looked at Jupiter and the moon of course and I was shocked at the crispness of the images.
Did a final collimation on the primary and I was treated to some fine images. Did a couple of star tests and the diffraction disc is nearly perfect in and outside focus. I was really shocked at the quality of the mirror. Jupiter looked about the same as my 4" F15 Jaegers and it is a good lens. Image was actually a little brighter than the Jaegers. Detail was about the same. The scope just snaps to focus. It deserves a better focuser at least.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CharlieB
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/11/07

Loc: Southern NH
Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: bremms]
      #5636333 - 01/22/13 07:32 AM

These little reflectors often surprise me. We often think these are toys. I have a 100mm f/10 Royal Astro that give images I don't get from my 6" refractor. I have read that many of those great mirrors came from Carton Optical, but who knows?

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: CharlieB]
      #5636565 - 01/22/13 10:15 AM

When the weather warms up, I'll be building a new, more stable tripod for my 11-TR (similar to the TE, just a red tube, but still Japan-made). To me, that's their one shortcoming; the unsteady tripods the were put on. Otherwise, the 11-TE / TR's have always tossed up some nice images for me.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: magic612]
      #5636761 - 01/22/13 12:09 PM

I have a second 11TR OTA I picked up for $13 on the bay. That one is going to be modded even more and will be a grab and go type scope. The 11TR with the mount is my son's scope. Is the that one mine daddy?? I like it.. Sure, why not. He's three and made me take his scope out to look at the moon and Jupiter. I'm going to put a little larger diagonal on the other, a 1.25 focuser, and a Vixen dovetail plate. That way I can get a wider field.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: bremms]
      #5636952 - 01/22/13 01:48 PM

Quote:

I have a second 11TR OTA I picked up for $13 on the bay. That one is going to be modded even more and will be a grab and go type scope. The 11TR with the mount is my son's scope. Is the that one mine daddy?? I like it.. Sure, why not. He's three and made me take his scope out to look at the moon and Jupiter. I'm going to put a little larger diagonal on the other, a 1.25 focuser, and a Vixen dovetail plate. That way I can get a wider field.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: magic612]
      #5638345 - 01/23/13 07:45 AM

These little scopes can do a heck of a job. That said, I wouldn't expect a perfect star test--the primary mirrors are spherical.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tasco 11TR Star Test new [Re: rmollise]
      #5638948 - 01/23/13 01:32 PM

That's what I thought. The one I have may be an anomaly but it is parabolic from what I can tell at ~180x on star images. I do have a second OTA maybe I can look at that one at some point. It's certainly better than most of the SCT's I've star tested. Maybe one day I'll find a good SCT..

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 804

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics