Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
smithers3

Reged: 10/26/07

Loc: Massachusetts
Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new
      #5635773 - 01/21/13 09:38 PM

I have an unmodified Canon t3i. I'm wondering which light pollution filter would be the best. Orion has a skyglow that is specifically designed for astrophotography. However, I'm not sure how different it is from their regular skyglow (other than the fact that it's far more expensive).

But, are there others that would be better? I don't have a lot of light pollution now, but I'm going to be moving in the next year to a place with more, and I'd hate to stop astrophotography just when I'm getting going.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: smithers3]
      #5635799 - 01/21/13 09:58 PM

I use this.... Thx

piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5635845 - 01/21/13 10:26 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

Here is a 50 minute stack using my unmodded T3i with a Astronomik Clip in EOS CLS-CCD on an Orion 80ED scope. This was taken 1 1/2 miles due West from Buffalo NY, in my back yard.
I also have Lumicon Deep Sky Filter. The Astronomik is a new purchase so not much experience with it. It will allow me to use my EF lenses for wide angle stuff as well as on the scopes.

ky1duck

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: paducah,ky
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: piaras]
      #5635874 - 01/21/13 10:40 PM Attachment (161 downloads)

here are two shots 1st on a 60sec without filter and the second one is a 60sec with orion skyglow both taken with my unmoded t3i and orion st 80mm.

Edited by ky1duck (01/21/13 10:45 PM)

ky1duck

Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: ky1duck]
      #5635876 - 01/21/13 10:40 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

2ed also the skyglow takes out some of the purple halo from my cheap 80mm ST i was using.
just my 2 cents worth.

robert

Edited by ky1duck (01/21/13 10:42 PM)

piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
      #5635912 - 01/21/13 11:06 PM

I use a LP filter basically all the time. It helps remove the remaining sky glow that is present even at dark sites.
My back yard is 18-19 on the Unihedron due to Buffalo in the East, so I shoot from zenith to west to avoid the majority. At the observatory the reading is usually 21-21.5 most nights, but like I said I still use a filter and it does make a difference even there.
Pierre

smithers3

Reged: 10/26/07

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: piaras]
      #5636013 - 01/22/13 12:06 AM

Robert, are you using the regular skyglow filter or the special astrophotography one?

ky1duck

#5636024 - 01/22/13 12:22 AM

just the skyglow broadband. looked at the astrophotography one but couldnt see spending the extra money. only thing is the astrophoto one allows 575-590nm(yellow) and 615-630nm(orangish) to pass through.and also blocks 472-480nm part of blue area. The numbers are close going off orions charts. as for what these changes would do to photos i aint sure. but i am sure someone here could tell you that.

robert

Edited by ky1duck (01/22/13 12:24 AM)

Samir Kharusi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/14/05

Loc: Oman
      #5636079 - 01/22/13 01:13 AM

To the original poster. First get the camera modded and only thereafter worry about filters. Spend your $ where it matters. When you are ready for filters study this link carefully.

harbinjer
sage

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Southeastern Minnesota
      #5636086 - 01/22/13 01:17 AM

I have a Astronomik CLS clip filter. It definitely works on reducing light pollution, and natural skyglow. While it reduces all light, it does pass H-alpha light well, so even an unmodified camera can do a bitter better in that realm. It made shooting the north american nebula possible, not great, but possible. I don't know which is best, but I know mine works.

SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? [Re: harbinjer]
      #5636211 - 01/22/13 04:21 AM

My only wish is that they offered them for Nikons. It's cost-prohibitive for me to switch camera brands (that and I don't intend to, as I'm a Nikon-only guy).

astroricardo
sage

Reged: 11/14/11

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: SteveRosenow]
      #5636710 - 01/22/13 11:40 AM

Everyone will have a different opinion on this and here's mine. Modding your camera will enhance *some* of your pictures, a LPF will enhance *all* of your pictures. I'd go with an LPF but that's what I just did. I'm trying out the Celestron UHC/LPR also currently on sale for about $75 and I have to say I'm impressed. I was looking at the Orion because of everyone saying that it doesn't affect the color balance, but I'm doing all kinds of processing anyway.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: astroricardo]
      #5643737 - 01/26/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

Everyone will have a different opinion on this and here's mine. Modding your camera will enhance *some* of your pictures, a LPF will enhance *all* of your pictures.

LP filters are not so good with low contrast subjects like galaxies. They do a good job on H-alpha regions. It's not just opinion. That's what the transmission curves yield.

Samir's article is an excellent reference.

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (01/26/13 02:40 AM)

astroricardo
sage

Reged: 11/14/11

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5644899 - 01/26/13 06:48 PM

My point was that it's a matter of opinion which to do first.

Yes, everyone wants to mod their camera. But will I spend 200-300 now while my camera is under warranty or spend $75 on an LPF? For the stuff I'm taking pictures of, limited time I have and where I have to do it (my driveway) a LPF made a lot more sense.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #5645128 - 01/26/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

a LPF made a lot more sense

Sure it will change the colour of the backgroud sky - but until you mod the camera it will not improve capture of H alpha - so I suggest sticking to globs, open clusters, bright galaxies and such like until you do

This is not an opinion its optical physics

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5646286 - 01/27/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

My point was that it's a matter of opinion which to do first.

Oh, I misunderstood. Yes and it is also a matter of budget.

Ajay

Toxic Coolaid
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/01/11

Loc: NorthEast Tennessee
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5647018 - 01/27/13 09:50 PM

Without my Astronomik CLS filter I could not take subs long enough to image anything that is not pretty bright. I'm in a Red Zone and usually limited to 45 second subs without the CLS. However with the filter I can extend my times to 120 seconds. Obviously the answer get BOTH the mod and the LP filter. But which 1st? IMHO, unless you have very little light pollution, get the filter first. When I drive to a Green Zone where I can have 600+ second exposures, I don't use the LP filter unless I'm imaging west towards Bristol which is 15 miles away. My 1st modded camera was a self modded $150 1000D (only 10MP). I've even shot targets like Orion and the Veil Nebulae mainly with a T2i, then shot some with the 1000D and combined the images in PS later. Either way your images will better

The Veil 120 seconds with Astronomik CLS filter from my Red Zone

The Veil 120 seconds with with no LP filter. And yes there is a picture here.

finial image

Edited by Toxic Coolaid (01/28/13 01:09 AM)

fco_star
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/10

Loc: Texas, Midland
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: Toxic Coolaid]
      #5647227 - 01/28/13 12:15 AM

+1 Toxic
I have the same experience, before I couldn't go over 45sec. same issue (wash out pictures), I first bought the CLS-CCD filter and I could go easy to 5-8 minutes with no issues, then I bought the IDAS LP filter and I get easy 5-8min. Then I decided to buy a Mod camera, it definitely enhance the result of my pictures, I'm in an red zone and I'm very please with the results. I have a friend of mine that could not believe my personal stories related to my success with the filters but I guess it is because he is a genius and he probably will not believe it until he try it by himself.
hope this help you.

Toxic Coolaid
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/01/11

Loc: NorthEast Tennessee
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: fco_star]
      #5647288 - 01/28/13 01:01 AM

I agree the LP filters are amazing. I also have a UHC-E that cuts out more than the CLS. I'll have to it out on the 60Da because it doesn't cut enough IR for the full mod on my T2i. I have to use the CLS-CCD on the full MOD T2i. But from my initial test it is impressive. I think everyone should get the CLS-CCD no matter the mod. I was able to bring out the Horsehed and flame with only 40 x 2 second lights with the Hap Griffin Full Mod with the CLS-CCD and the Moon out yesterday. Its cool to be able to do day time photography with auto focus using the OWB filter, IR photography with the Pro planet 742, and AP photos with the CLS-CCD or L filter. I can control exactly what wavelengths get to the sensor. Hap put up good explanations and examples here. I think he's running a beta special for the full mod with single glass replacement to retain full autofocus.

http://www.imaginginfinity.com/fullspectrum.html

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102160416620563323234/albums/5835624624833...

now I can't wait to get the Pro Planet 742 and do some IR imaging

Edited by Toxic Coolaid (01/28/13 01:04 AM)

Jerry Lodriguss
Vendor

Reged: 07/19/08

Loc: Voorhees, NJ
Re: Light pollution filter for astrophotography? new [Re: Tonk]
      #5647365 - 01/28/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

Sure it will change the colour of the backgroud sky - but until you mod the camera it will not improve capture of H alpha - so I suggest sticking to globs, open clusters, bright galaxies and such like until you do

This is not an opinion its optical physics

Hi Tonk,

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

A light-pollution filter like the CLS, LPS or Deep-Sky will definitely help with recording Ha nebula with an unmodified camera.

Please see:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/DSLR_HA.HTM

scroll down to the section "Secrets Finally Revealed" :-)

Compare the North America nebula shot with an unmodded camera with and without a deeps-sky filter.

The comparison images have the same total exposure time.

The reason these filters help, even with an unmodded camera, is that by filtering out the skyglow and light pollution, they allow longer exposures that record more Ha light for a given sky background brightness.

It is this contrast improvement that makes using a filter on an unmodded camera work with Ha.

Jerry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3100

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics