Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
walt99

Reged: 08/23/08

Loc: Kentucky
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: GeneT]
      #5635293 - 01/21/13 04:20 PM

I have a similar dilemma . I am lucky to have a Pentax 5.1 XO , a 5mm Supermono and a Nagler 3 to 6 mm zoom. In my FS 128 the Supermono seems to give the best color and definition , followed by the Pentax and the Nagler which is sharp but quite monochrome .

The NAgler is the most convienient and has the widest field for my undriven mount . The field of the Supermono is only 30 degrees and the Pentax is in the middle .

It's nice to have different flavors to choose from, but the most memorable view I've had of Jupiter was with the 5mm Supermono when the planet was laced with shades of pastel colors I'd never seen before . . .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: walt99]
      #5635306 - 01/21/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

...the most memorable view I've had of Jupiter was with the 5mm Supermono when the planet was laced with shades of pastel colors I'd never seen before . . .

Most people look for more details or better contrast with these premium eyepieces, and forget completely about the unparalleled color renditions they provide!! Glad you caught the colors...beautiful!!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: RAKing]
      #5635461 - 01/21/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have compared my 6mm ZAO-II against the 5mm XO.

Ron,
I would be interested in what you noticed while comparing these two fine eyepieces.
Gene

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
      #5635473 - 01/21/13 06:13 PM

Inappropriate content deleted by moderator

Edited by ausastronomer (01/21/13 06:44 PM)

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: Kon Dealer]
      #5635483 - 01/21/13 06:18 PM

People who are curious about the answer and know they will never have the goods to compare!

Mike

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5635511 - 01/21/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I have compared my 6mm ZAO-II against the 5mm XO.

Ron,
I would be interested in what you noticed while comparing these two fine eyepieces.
Gene

Gene,

As I mentioned, both of these are superb eyepieces. But I have to be honest - I enjoyed the 6mm ZAO-II more than the 5mm XO.

I have a TEC 140 refractor and 5mm can be a stretch sometimes in our Northern Virginia humidity. The 6mm hits at 163x with just under 1mm exit pupil and this focal length hits the sweet spot for much of my double star viewing.

Both eyepieces showed great color on Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune when I had them at Sky Meadows SP last fall.

The main reason I finally let the XO go was comfort. The XO's eye lens is recessed slightly. Pentax has what seems like a thin rubber cap on top and my eyelash dragged across it when I blinked. I didn't have this problem with my other orthos (or the SPL series) and just left the XO in the display case for a year or so. After Pentax stopped production, I felt like someone who could enjoy the XO should have it.

BTW - I picked up an 8mm Delos last fall and was amazed at how clean and crisp it was, so I also picked up a 6mm Delos, too. Now I have a ZAO-II, A-P SPL, Radian, and Delos in the 6mm focal length and I'm quite happy with all these choices.

Cheers,

Ron

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5635892 - 01/21/13 10:55 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed the 6mm ZAO-II more than the 5mm XO.

Ron,
Following several PM's and a lot of research, many people whose judgement I respect rated the 5XO and the ZAO about equal. They are both the top of the line, with a few others close behind. I was very happy that I landed a 5XO. I received a PM offering to sell me a ZAO. I will pass because I only need one premimum eyepiece. I will probably view with my 6 Delos much more than with my 5XO. However, for special situations, I will have it in the line up. I thought about buying a 4.5 or 3.5 Delos. I decided not to. I rarely need a 4. I already have a 4mm Radian for those rare situations.

Thanks for your input!
Gene

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5636267 - 01/22/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I enjoyed the 6mm ZAO-II more than the 5mm XO.

Ron,
Following several PM's and a lot of research, many people whose judgement I respect rated the 5XO and the ZAO about equal. They are both the top of the line, with a few others close behind. I was very happy that I landed a 5XO. I received a PM offering to sell me a ZAO. I will pass because I only need one premimum eyepiece. I will probably view with my 6 Delos much more than with my 5XO. However, for special situations, I will have it in the line up. I thought about buying a 4.5 or 3.5 Delos. I decided not to. I rarely need a 4. I already have a 4mm Radian for those rare situations.

Thanks for your input!
Gene

Gene,

After my experience with the 8 and 6mm Delos, I also toyed with the idea of trying the 4.5. I'm still thinking..............

Enjoy your XO - it's a great eyepiece. I have to use Lumigan eye drops to prevent glaucoma and one of the side effects is longer eyelashes. (They also market this stuff as "Latisse" on the cosmetic side.) The longer eyelashes just didn't work for me with the XO, but the optics are still wonderful!

Cheers,

Ron

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO [Re: RAKing]
      #5636282 - 01/22/13 06:23 AM

The amount of space devoted to discussion of high end/premium- read "expensive" kit never ceases to amaze me.

Just how many of you can afford this stuff?
I certainly can't

Can we have some discussions on kit that is accessible to most- i.e in the $50-$150 range?
And it would be nice if such a discussion was not promptly "highjacked" by someone saying "but of course what you really want is a blah, blah, blah- the last 1% of the F.O.V. really makes a difference and it is a snip at $350!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5636305 - 01/22/13 06:59 AM

Yes, indeed. You can start your own thread. This one, though, is concerned with a comparison of the 6mm Delos and the 5mm XO.

Mike

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5637137 - 01/22/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

And it would be nice if such a discussion was not promptly "highjacked" by someone...

Aha... so this would then be a reverse-hijack?... or maybe a "lowjack"?

Quote:

You can start your own thread.

And indeed, he has. I s'pose if one wanted to hear *NO* input from the deep end of the pond, one could initiate such a thread with specific parameters accordingly.

Yet in actuality, these discussions tend to be rather fluid, and as such can be quite helpful. Aspects outside any ONE person's considerations can, many times, be very illuminating... and can open doors that might otherwise have remained closed.

Not just on price, either! This could pertain to wideness of field, amount of glass / number of "elements", tone of transmission, copy of design, market availability, etc., etc.

As a recent example, in the past i've owned & used both FLs of Pentax 'XF' design, and was generally pleased with their performance... but they had always been fairly costly, which tended to dissuade me from attempting a binoviewer pair of them. Then, just recently, it was mentioned in a thread discussing the newer Paradigm Dual ED eyepieces that their design was apparently near-identical to the highly regarded Pentax XF's!

Had some poster not mentioned this, due to the rather large price differential & not wanting to "hijack" anything, i NEVER would've learned of this aspect, and might miss out on the opportunity to even consider the Paradigm EPs!

Personally, i would NOT wish to sculpt these forum discussions too close to the bone. Yes, blatant hijacking can be annoying, but honest discussion i find almost always helpful. And besides, i suspect most folks posting are really trying to be helpful; the true hijackers are few & far between... and tend to eventually leave CN because they get "moderated", which takes the fun out of their fun.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: Mike B]
      #5637353 - 01/22/13 05:07 PM

I welcome contrary opinions, fresh insights, striking analogies, useful comparisons, and even somewhat OT discussions. But when someone makes a point to complain about the topic of a thread by posting within that thread, and asks why there are not more threads with an opposing vewpoint ... well, the obvious solution is to get out of that thread and start your own! Eh ... Go figure.

Mike

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5637384 - 01/22/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

I wish you would have gone into more detail in this comparison of the two eyepieces on Sirius. So you did see the Pup through both the Delos 6 and the XO 5? How did the view look in each eyepiece?

That comparison will be made, but for another day (night. ) Jupiter was high up and clear of roof tops, but Sirus was a little low on the horizon. The seeing conditions were 'good.' I did not see the pup. My bet is that the 5XO will show the companion star a little better. We'll see.

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5637396 - 01/22/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

Probably not. There is the Instajust eyeguard - or whatever TeleVue is calling it now - on the Delos. Judging from recent experience with my used Radian 4, I don't think I'd like that feature on the Delos.

I owned both Radians and Delos eyepieces. The 'adjustable height' system is totally different than the Radian 'instant adjust.' The Delos works quite nicely.I recommend that you try out a Delos for your self to see if you agree.

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5637407 - 01/22/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Gene,

Televue still makes a 13mm Nagler - it's one of the little Type 6 eyepieces and works very well if you need to save weight or money.

You are correct. I missed them on these web sites that I checked. You too will one day be old.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=21

http://www.astronomics.com/tele-vue-nagler-eyepieces_c86.aspx

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: turtle86]
      #5637411 - 01/22/13 05:33 PM

Quote:

I've come to find that I want comfortable eyepieces for long observing sessions. I suspect that a lot of folks would also find something like the Pentax 5XW a lot easier on the eyes than the XO as well. The 5XO is a great, great eyepiece, just not my cup of tea.

Also excellent points! That is why a lot of people bought Radians, Pentax XW's and now Delos eyepieces.

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5637444 - 01/22/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

The amount of space devoted to discussion of high end/premium- read "expensive" kit never ceases to amaze me.
Just how many of you can afford this stuff? I certainly can't Can we have some discussions on kit that is accessible to most- i.e in the $50-$150 range?
And it would be nice if such a discussion was not promptly "highjacked" by someone saying "but of course what you really want is a blah, blah, blah- the last 1% of the F.O.V. really makes a difference and it is a snip at $350!

A lot of people are interested in this topic; more than 1,600 posts as of Jan. 22; a lot are not. I am not offended that you are not. Why don't you start a new post on the topic(s) you are interested in, or want covered? Believe, me people will join in.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: A 6mm Delos Compared to A 5mm Pentax XO new [Re: Mike B]
      #5637453 - 01/22/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Personally, i would NOT wish to sculpt these forum discussions too close to the bone. Yes, blatant hijacking can be annoying, but honest discussion i find almost always helpful. And besides, i suspect most folks posting are really trying to be helpful; the true hijackers are few & far between... and tend to eventually leave CN because they get "moderated", which takes the fun out of their fun.

My thoughts exactly!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5637460 - 01/22/13 05:57 PM

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5637976 - 01/22/13 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've come to find that I want comfortable eyepieces for long observing sessions. I suspect that a lot of folks would also find something like the Pentax 5XW a lot easier on the eyes than the XO as well. The 5XO is a great, great eyepiece, just not my cup of tea.

Also excellent points! That is why a lot of people bought Radians, Pentax XW's and now Delos eyepieces.

Thanks, Gene! I must say that I'm very intrigued by the 6mm Delos after reading your review. I have a 6mm Ethos and someday hope to compare it to the Delos. Some of the comments I'd read suggest that the Delos has slightly better light transmission than the Ethos, which would help with really faint fuzzies. I have seen the Pup with the 6mm Ethos in my scope so I bet you'll have no trouble bagging it with either your XO or Delos when the time comes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4000

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics