Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5663680 - 02/05/13 02:30 PM

Eye of the beholder and all that, eh? Clyde Tombaugh had the ugliest collection I've ever seen, so we were definitely inspired. Anybody got a lawnmower?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1EV0TJJxmTE/S452Th_YmaI/AAAAAAAACFw/sReOKxtMC_s/s40...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5663690 - 02/05/13 02:38 PM

they're meant to be used, not the queen of the garage...

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5663748 - 02/05/13 03:13 PM

I like yer dragon, Danny. Are you familiar with Chen Rong's "Nine Dragons?"

http://scrolls.uchicago.edu/view.php?env=STD_PUB&_scroll_id=54&lang=en

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
      #5663890 - 02/05/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Since the talk has turned to ugly scopes, I feel i can post a pic of ours in the basement where it was built. Do we win anything?

I just hope you didn't make the same mistake as the guy who built a boat in his basement and then found he couldn't get it through the door! I would kill to get a look through that thing.

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5663971 - 02/05/13 05:12 PM Attachment (179 downloads)

Whatever you have, the Quinnipiac Monster is uglier.

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: idp]
      #5663972 - 02/05/13 05:14 PM Attachment (138 downloads)

But it can definitely make it through the door of my garage

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5664026 - 02/05/13 05:35 PM

Awesome binoscope...all aluminum?

droid
rocketman

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: idp]
      #5664035 - 02/05/13 05:38 PM

Awe but how does it work? if it works well, then thats all that matters.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
      #5664227 - 02/05/13 07:39 PM

Quote:

... I just hope you didn't make the same mistake as the guy who built a boat in his basement and then found he couldn't get it through the door! I would kill to get a look through that thing.

Just a quick aside... I built a bookshelf in my basement and guess, just guess...

Ed

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5664596 - 02/06/13 02:34 AM

Yes droid,

The deck is a sectioned 55-gallon drum that glides as a liner bearing I suppose, but the rest is aluminum skin around aluminum struts that prop up 4 lazy susan swivel bearings to provide rotation for IPD adjustment and also allow 2-person one-eyed viewing if desired. That works well for outreach too. Had to hog these out and drill them full of holes to reduce their weight. Got the cage, with focusers and star diagonals mounted, down to 12 pounds. As for the basement, I was relieved to find that we cleared the ceiling by 2 inches for the final assembly (had 2 get it vertical to get everything squared to drill the pole holes in place). Better to be lucky than good.

Ed, you crack me up. Glad yer still with us, even tho I can't follow most of what you do or discuss.

IDP, that is brilliant. Could it be any more user-friendly? Now thatsa unique design. Can honestly say I've never seen such an altitude control. Brake drums or tire rims? But what are the small adjustments for? Tensioners?

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

#5664886 - 02/06/13 09:49 AM

Quote:

but the rest is aluminum skin around aluminum struts that prop up 4 lazy susan swivel bearings to provide rotation for IPD adjustment and also allow 2-person one-eyed viewing if desired.

Brilliant use of Lazy Susans! You've eclipsed my record, I used three in the 14-inch scope shown on page 5 of this topic.

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

#5664995 - 02/06/13 11:04 AM

Yeah Dick,

Back when we were still plannin the build and puttin together the parts list, we came across yer use of these and learned from you that the lazy susan bearings were offered by different suppliers, tho we thought that they were the same. You pointed out that one maker's was thicker, and so heavier, than another, allowing us to opt for the lighter ones, so we thank you.

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665289 - 02/06/13 01:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah Dick,

Back when we were still plannin the build and puttin together the parts list, we came across yer use of these and learned from you that the lazy susan bearings were offered by different suppliers, tho we thought that they were the same. You pointed out that one maker's was thicker, and so heavier, than another, allowing us to opt for the lighter ones, so we thank you.

I haven't tried the lighter VXB bearings. Are you satisfied with their performance?

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

#5665308 - 02/06/13 01:49 PM

Very much so, but would say that for your application the heavier gauge is of course the way to go. My only concern was that by hogging and drilling them out, the powder and filings would get into the bearings and foul them, so we packed them with grease beforehand.

droid
rocketman

#5666712 - 02/07/13 09:40 AM

You all are way ahead of me in building telescopes....well done

droid
rocketman

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: droid]
      #5668864 - 02/08/13 12:09 PM

killdabuddha: any photos of those giant binos in the field???

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post your home made scope [Re: droid]
      #5669648 - 02/08/13 07:27 PM Attachment (134 downloads)

Yes droid,

But they're on a camera whose pixel count seems too high for here. Here's one from the back yard (taken with the phone camera) where we use it at home. Sorry for the poor angle, quality, etc. And yeah, I actually cut the grass right afterward. We've also since flocked it, put in light shields, and painted the poles with chalkboard paint.

Norm Folkers

Reged: 03/26/08

Re: Post your home made scope [Re: ed_turco]
      #5669741 - 02/08/13 08:45 PM Attachment (174 downloads)

Hi Ed,
Great to see that your still able to enjoy observing. I too have used the Springfield idea and come up with a design that uses a refractor objective rather than a mirror to get a fixed eyepiece position in an equatorial mount. It's almost completely made from 4' standard ABS pipe fittings. The bearing surfaces are the threaded parts of the RA and Dec axis. The eyepiece position is at the North end of the RA axis. One can observe any part of the sky without having to get up. The focal plan does change when moving to a new target that is not at the same Dec. But only 1/2 the thread pitch of the 4" pipe. It would be very convenient for someone like you why has increasing mobility issues (again, I hope that's a long way off). The upper end of the Dec "t" fitting is threaded so as to allow different Objectives with different FL to be used. To accommodate this a correctly cut-to-length ABS pipe is used to hold the objective cell and the male threaded other end that screws into the "T". The picture shows a 5" 900 mm FL objective. The design requires the use of two diagonals, The lager one is inside the "T" fitting at the intersection of the OTA and the Dec axis while a smaller one is at the intersection of the Dec and RA axis. It operated quite well. My alternative to a finder scope is a green laser used to "get close" to the object I'm intending to observe. It avoids the need to get up. I use it sparingly ;-)
I've made three of these. The prototype was made using 3" ABS pipe. It eventually got a 4" to 3" adapter enhancement to allow objectives up to 100mm to be screwed into the upper OTA (above the "T" fitting). This is a mark II. the third I made for a friend who was unable to complete it due to time constraints. I've also added guy wires from the ends of the three legs to the top of the "y" fitting. It helped A LOT!
I also live at just South of 45 deg North latitude, so the adjustable feet, made from "C" clamps allow close polar alignment, certainly good enough for visual observing.
Clear skies.
Norm

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Post your home made scope [Re: Norm Folkers]
      #5670216 - 02/09/13 07:06 AM

Very creative!

JimC

droid
rocketman

Re: Post your home made scope [Re: Norm Folkers]
      #5673507 - 02/11/13 05:40 AM

Been looking at this for days now, still scratching my head, lol.
Awesome idea, wish I could wrap my poor brain cells around the principles.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 44381

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics