Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: gcs111]
      #5659471 - 02/03/13 07:45 AM

And your gonna marry her when, lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5659704 - 02/03/13 10:43 AM Attachment (130 downloads)

I took this C5 with a missing corrector in trade. It was in such nice condition I thought is deserved a second life. I found a Nexstar 5i with a beater tube on eBay for $75 and swapped the optics. This required removing the and exchanging the baffle tube as they were different diameters. Only Starbright OT C5 I know of.

Edited by Geo. (02/03/13 10:47 AM)

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: droid]
      #5659717 - 02/03/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

And your gonna marry her when, lol

I'd hold out till the 20" f3.5 dob with stervorcat goto.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: droid]
      #5660164 - 02/03/13 03:06 PM Attachment (129 downloads)

Quote:

Ed; I remember that article fondly, I still have the magazine, folded open to the article, I was inspired to do something similar, alas life etc got in he way.
Yes a much younger you, do you still have this scope?

Andy, I sure do have that 12". Don't use it as much due to increasing disabilities. I've even shrunk 2.5" in height, but the telescope didn't.

I have a telescope that gets far more usage. Shown below.

Ed

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5660179 - 02/03/13 03:16 PM

Tell you about marrying a girl. My first wife hated astronomy, telescopes and all my friends. And then even me.

She took off and I got a divorce. Five years later I met a special girl who was so different. Not trusting my instincts, I taught her telescope making and insisted that she make one.

She did, and I married her two weeks later! Never regretted it in what now is almost 32 years. We married on Valentines Day, and now I have a granddaughter due on that same day -- our first.

Ed

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
      #5660206 - 02/03/13 03:31 PM

Awesome story Ed.
Congrats on being a Grand-Dad-to-be!

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: NHRob]
      #5660214 - 02/03/13 03:37 PM

I think we have a new telescope testing technique...

The Turco Telescope Testing Technique (for prospective marriages)

Sounds like a great idea to me!

JimC

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
      #5660289 - 02/03/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ed; I remember that article fondly, I still have the magazine, folded open to the article, I was inspired to do something similar, alas life etc got in he way.
Yes a much younger you, do you still have this scope?

Andy, I sure do have that 12". Don't use it as much due to increasing disabilities. I've even shrunk 2.5" in height, but the telescope didn't.

I have a telescope that gets far more usage. Shown below.

Ed

Ed, this is the second time I saw your pic with the reflector and unusual counterweight only this time I got it. You don't have to chase the EP around. Brilliant!

droid
rocketman

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5660574 - 02/03/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

I think we have a new telescope testing technique...

The Turco Telescope Testing Technique (for prospective marriages)

Sounds like a great idea to me!

JimC

I like it......

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5660633 - 02/03/13 07:54 PM

The idea isn't that brilliant; it is a derivative of Porter's Springfield Mount.

For simplicity, I turned the design into an altazimuth Springfield that kept the eyepiece at a constant height. I have to revolve along with the eyepiece but this is far easier to do.

As the situation now stands, when I have to lower the eyepiece level when I am in a wheelchair, I'll cut the tripod legs to get that level!

I think that Porter would approve.

Edited by ed_turco (02/04/13 10:00 AM)

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5660769 - 02/03/13 09:30 PM

Ed doesn't it hurt to have that CW crack you in the head?? Mike

Edited by mikey cee (02/03/13 09:31 PM)

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5660976 - 02/04/13 12:16 AM Attachment (148 downloads)

This is the Maynard Clark 8" f/8. I did not design nor build it, but somebody had it stored in a barn, in the back of an F-150 pickup truck outside of Tucson, AZ for years and years. The OTA was stored inside. I have been restoring it, very slowly for the past couple years - only one part left to be made and it will be finished. It has over 600 pieces to it. Not sure exactly when it was built, but it was pictured in the Oct 77 S&T and also received the RTMC Merit Award for Technical Excellence in 1980. You can read more about its restoration over in the Classics Forum here: Maynard Clark 8" f/8 If anyone knew Mr. Clark or remembers this scope, I sure would like to hear from you!

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5660987 - 02/04/13 12:24 AM Attachment (81 downloads)

Quote:

The idea isn't that brilliant; it is a derivative of Porter's Springfield Mount.

I have something similar in my head but my counter weight hangs and uses the rocker box as a rail to glide on.

alistairsam
journeyman

Reged: 10/03/10

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5661159 - 02/04/13 06:07 AM Attachment (109 downloads)

Hi,
Here's my 10inch F4 Serrurier truss I recently completed.
Mirrors are from Orion Optics in the UK, trusses are carbon fibre, secondary spider is from guitar strings to minimize diffraction spikes, I've used guitar machine heads to adjust tension. Mirror Cell is a 6 point cell made from Aluminium square pipes rocking on a horizontal bolt held with clamps.

droid
rocketman

Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5661162 - 02/04/13 06:09 AM

Gosh Dan; just spent like 2 hours drooling over that restore, and it dead ended,
So how did it turn out? was the mirror as good as you had hoped.???
Absolutely gorgeous, the most beautiful restore Ive ever seen.

alistairsam
journeyman

Reged: 10/03/10

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Post your home made scope new [Re: alistairsam]
      #5661163 - 02/04/13 06:14 AM Attachment (126 downloads)

Here's my home built Wooden Fork Mount.
It has a picaxe microcontroller based stepper controller with timing belt gear reduction to minimize PE.
RA Bearings are 50mm Bearings. Current RA shaft is Delrin with a steel Rod insert, but I'll be changing this to a steel tube.
I've added ST4 autoguiding by using a picaxe to monitor the 4 pins of the guidecam's ST4 output and adjusting the step gap duration in the stepper controller to either speed up RA or slow down RA.

Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
Re: Post your home made scope [Re: Pinbout]
      #5661309 - 02/04/13 08:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have something similar in my head but my counter weight hangs and uses the rocker box as a rail to glide on.

Unfortunately this counterweight device won't work well because as the tube rotates from vertical to horizontal, the amount of torque around the altitude axis increases greatly. The counterweight device in your picture produces a constant torque so it will balance at only one position. Possibly you could make it work by offsetting the center of the counterweight support disk so that the torque increases as the tube rotates to horizontal. But ideally the counterweight should hang from an arm that is parallel to the tube, in which case why not mount it directly on the arm or tube?

It is possible to build spring devices with torque that varies so that the tube is balanced at all positions. I've built one myself and have seen some others posted in this forum. But I think the simplest way to build a Newtonian that is balanced around the eyepiece is to just use a counterweight at the opposite end from the mirror.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Post your home made scope [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5661375 - 02/04/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately this counterweight device won't work well because as the tube rotates from vertical to horizontal, the amount of torque around the altitude axis increases greatly.

i don't make changes in torque for my dobs, when I balance my dobs the torque is constant.

the only thing I see is an twist caused by weight on one side and not the other but that is easily remedied.

Quote:

But I think the simplest way to build a Newtonian that is balanced around the eyepiece is to just use a counterweight at the opposite end from the mirror.

thats not consistent with your first statement.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Post your home made scope [Re: Pinbout]
      #5661493 - 02/04/13 10:46 AM Attachment (123 downloads)

Here's a pic of my Frankenscope. Started life as a Tasco 11TR and has had several mods throughout the years. Mirrors are original as is the tube but I built the dob mount for it and changed the focuser to a 1.25" Orion and the finder to a Daisy Red Dot with and adjustable light. Always planned on building a "proper" looking mount but never got around to it

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Post your home made scope [Re: tag1260]
      #5661562 - 02/04/13 11:20 AM

Earle Dodds used to make Springfield mounts with counterweights on the tube plus a conventional weight in RA. For a dob mount, you'd only need a tube weight, so I think you could easily set it up so that it is less likely to jerk a knot upside your haid in the dark.

But a true Springfield is more better!

Tim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39749

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics