Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

Orion's Sword
      #5636852 - 01/22/13 12:55 PM

Last night when I saw the proximity of the moon and Jupiter I thought I'd take out my SV102ED and do some quick observing. The two were framed nicely in my ES20/100 and it was a beautiful sight. Then I took a quick look at Rigel at varying powers. Then I went to M42 and looked to see if I could see E and F in the trapezium (I could make out E, but no F).

But then I popped the ES20/100 back in to look at the nebula, not really considering the tfov I'd have with that eyepiece/scope combination. The entire sword of Orion filled the view and it took me aback. It was really beautiful. I realized I hadn't done that type of wide angle viewing in the vicinity of M42 before. I then tried my ES30/82 to get even a bit wider tfov. To my surprise the view lost its grandeur. The smaller afov and the reduced magnification really took the wind out of the sails. Perhaps the brighter sky in the view as a result of the larger exit pupil also had a negative affect.

But the view in the ES20 was great.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Orion's Sword new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5638145 - 01/23/13 01:09 AM

I know what you mean. In my home-made right angle bino in the 60mm configuration with 13mm Ethoi, the exit pupil is a tad under 3mm, the magnification is 20.8X and the TFoV is 4.7 degrees. For larger objects and structures, the view is grand indeed! Especially with two eyes on the job.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Orion's Sword new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5639848 - 01/24/13 12:24 AM

I think I have tried every single EP in my sig on The Sword and love all the views but like you said especially those that get the sky background dark along with a super wide AFOV and decent power.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics