Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
highkamp

Reged: 12/16/11

ASCOM / PHD with Celestar compatability
      #5637081 - 01/22/13 02:52 PM

Does anyone know if ASCOM / PHD will work with the older style Celestron bases that have the handcontrol HDX ports?
I am trying to use a serial to USB connection between laptop and Celestar base and PHD issues an ASCOM error about not supporting pulseguide. I also loaded the Celestron Unified drivers package (although that seems to be only for Ultima 2000 and later versions). I also have drivers for the USB/Serial connection loaded but cant confirm they work since I get the ASCOM error. Thanks for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: ASCOM / PHD with Celestar compatability new [Re: highkamp]
      #5637105 - 01/22/13 03:03 PM

The ASCOM driver does not support the Celestar mount, in fact I've no idea what the control protocol for the Celestar mounts is.

The early mounts don't have the ability to control guiding in any case so you will be better going through the guide port - if it has one.

Chris

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: ASCOM / PHD with Celestar compatability new [Re: highkamp]
      #5637113 - 01/22/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if ASCOM / PHD will work with the older style Celestron bases that have the handcontrol HDX ports?

No, the ASCOM platform is used to facilitate serial communications. The Celestar had no internal computer and thus nothing to communicate with, so ASCOM has no relevance. You can probably use a GPUSB to guide via the HBX port, though. In that era the handboxes were usually wired to emulate a standard autoguide port.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics