Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
Hap Griffin
Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Sumter, SC
New Astrodon Full Spectrum DSLR Modification new
      #5617466 - 01/11/13 03:30 PM

There has been much interest in the "full spectrum" modification of DSLR's recently. In this modification, a clear filter with no UV or IR filtering characteristics replaces the two filters in a stock Canon DSLR, opening up the camera's sensitivity far into the IR and UV ranges. External filters are used to customize the camera's response for the user's application...astronomical, IR or daylight. To that end, I have been working with renowned filter manufacturer Don Goldman at Astrodon to produce a fully anti-reflection coated clear filter of the proper thickness to accurately retain auto-focus without having to re-shim or move the sensor position as with other clear filter alternatives available when replacing both of the stock filters in a Canon DSLR. In-house testing has proven very positive and is moving to the Beta test stage before full production is begun. If you would like to become a Beta tester for this project, please contact me via email. I only have a few filters available at this time so quantities are very limited until we go into full production within a few weeks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hap Griffin

Re: New Astrodon Full Spectrum DSLR Modification new [Re: Hap Griffin]
      #5633457 - 01/20/13 03:55 PM

Here are some images I took today using an Astrodon full spectrum modified Canon 40D along with an Astronomik OWB (Original White Balance) clip-in filter. The camera was in the fully automatic mode showing that the full spectrum modfified camera can easily be used for normal daylight photography using the fully automatic settings with the OWB filter.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102160416620563323234/AD40ClearTests#

Hap Griffin

#5634676 - 01/21/13 10:36 AM

I have posted a new page on my web site that contains the details of the new Astrodon Full Spectrum modification and the new AD40Clear filter.

http://www.imaginginfinity.com/fullspectrum.html

Edited by Hap Griffin (01/21/13 12:01 PM)

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

#5635103 - 01/21/13 02:36 PM

Hap,

Any plans for the 5D Mark II, for the full spectrum modification.

Tony

Hap Griffin

Re: New Astrodon Full Spectrum DSLR Modification new [Re: ahopp]
      #5637293 - 01/22/13 04:34 PM

Possibly, after we see how much interest there is in the modification for the other models. I plan to expand into the non-astro IR market and expect that there will be s significant demand for full-spectrum full-sized sensor cameras from those folks.

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: New Astrodon Full Spectrum DSLR Modification [Re: Hap Griffin]
      #5637577 - 01/22/13 07:18 PM

Count me in, I use my 5D Mark II, un-altered, for astrophotography. But, would love to go full spectrum.

Tony

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1190

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics