Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5764835 - 03/29/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Thought I would give a quick update since I have downloaded the 200-series star database files and have been using them to plate solve. In short, they seem to work better for me than the 4000 series files but still are not perfect. If I take at least a 30 second exposure and subtract a dark, then the odds of success are considerably higher.

I find that downloading the 200-series files and then performing plate solving from the Tortilla desktop application has about the same success rate as the online version found at nova.astrometry.net. However, the online version can plate solve quite a bit faster in many cases.

A few times I have had to slew to an area of the sky which had more stars in it in order to finally get a plate solve. For example, I never could seem to get a plate solve in the immediate area surrounding M5. But after slewing to a more star-populated area, I was able to do an accurate plate solve and then sync solidly to M5.

The downloadable Astrotorlilla program works! While Sky6 and most other programs only allow a plate solve somewhere in the immediate area of where it already knows the scope is pointing, Astrotortilla's ability to do a "blind solve" across the entire heavens is quite a valuable tool indeed. Thanks again to the authors who have contributed this program to us all for free!

On Astronomyforum(dot)net, in the Astro Imaging subforum, search for a thread "Need help with Astrotortilla"

This is the best source of information about setting up AT and how to set the parameters. It is 28 pages long and you get to see the history of many of us getting started in AT and what not to do as well as what to do...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4322

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics