Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5647974 - 01/28/13 12:06 PM

Quote:

Well, I have joined Guylain and placed an order with Jim at Icodome to support this project. We will see what this camera is able achieve compared to Canons.

Cool

Which model are you having MONOfied Sedat?

Guylain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier new [Re: guyroch]
      #5648072 - 01/28/13 12:43 PM

D5100

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5649179 - 01/28/13 08:23 PM

I second everything Tim has said.
Doesnt matter, NOWADAYS! Go with whatever camera you like as it will most likely be wonderful at AP.
It is a great time we live in with so many cameras with so much potential, and things only looking better for the future..
So just be happy with what we have and leave the hair splitting to the DxO guys(IMHO, SEVERELY OVER-rated and not worth ANYthing..not only my opinion either. check some photography related forums and you will see that DxO is laughed at a LOT! just sayin'..it's only numbers. and they dont count for much when there is no empirical data that actually backs it up(like real field tests)

Steve,
I am not sure why you have such an aversion to the modification because you are a "pro" photog.
I am also a "pro" photog/videographer and all I use is modified cameras, currently D800 and a D5200 (in the mail) as a backup/second shooter(and also a Full Spectrum Sony NEX-C3, LOVE this thing now that it is FS too!). Before that was: 1D Mark IV and 60D. THen 5D Mark II and 7D...and on and on..ALL modified.
NEVER had an issue. NEVER had an unhappy customer...and NEVER an "issue" to deal with in post processing..Really, there is maybe one or two clicks added to my processing routines for daytime pics with the modified cameras...
Use a CWB for your imaging(daytime) and you will never even notice a difference between a modified camera and a stock one..scratch that..you WILL notice that the modified camera has MORE sharpness, and BETTER color rendition/saturation!!(better images!)
Not trying to single you out or say anything negative, just trying to stress that people do NOT have to give up ANYthing(of important value to most) just because their camera is modified...

UNLESS that one thing you DO give up is needed, which is the ability to shoot in FULL AUTO, then modification is not for you. Get a 60Da and you will be set.
But no pro would ever use any Auto mode anyways..
(however the wife and some friends have used my cameras and cannot comprehend how to use a camera, let alone when NOT in auto LOL! )

Okay..done with my rant/rambling..
Back to your regularly scheduled program!

Edited by nofxrx (01/29/13 01:09 AM)

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5649630 - 01/29/13 02:01 AM

no disrespect to anna, she is a great astrophotographer, but her paper kinda says "hey this looks pretty good!" there's no quantitative analysis of the sensor.

someone needs to do what craig stark has done over and over again for the different canon cameras. analyze the read noise, the dark current at different ISO, compute the unity gain, etc. etc. and someone needs to do what roger clark and christian buil have done; find the well depths, dynamic range and quantum efficiency of the various (new) nikon sensors.

only then are you going to be able to say this or that sensor blows the doors off of another sensor.

fishonkevinModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/29/07

Loc: Michigan
Re: Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5649631 - 01/29/13 02:01 AM

This thread is over. There hasn't been any On Topic info lately. If any definitive tests on performance comes out, please start a new thread.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3815

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics