Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: LX850 14" setup " Whichwayis north" new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5984933 - 07/22/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

Any LX850 owners have a 365 outdoor cover for it yet? I am in the market and would like to know what fits and what doesn't. I have the 14" Fyi. Also I am going to get some sort of wheeled contraption for it so I can leave it set up and just move it around. Advice in that area would be appreciated.

Hello WhichWay...

I just got the TeleGizmos 365 Cover T3G2 for my 14" LX850. Telegizmos says it will fit (works on 14" CGEPros).

Now here is the rub - I have not tried it out yet with the LX850 fully assembled. Nary a clear sky here except for a few sucker holes last night so I have not bothered to take out the telescope.

For the system, I just carry out the tripod and use a large hand truck/convertible cart to take the LX850 components, then I assemble it. I typically leave it set up with or without the OTA for 7-14 days IF it looks like I will have several clear days (ain't happening right now). With the new cover I will leave the entire system outdoors now for up to 14 days or until I go on my next trip (which is often).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX850 14" setup " Whichwayis north" new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5985192 - 07/22/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any LX850 owners have a 365 outdoor cover for it yet? I am in the market and would like to know what fits and what doesn't. I have the 14" Fyi. Also I am going to get some sort of wheeled contraption for it so I can leave it set up and just move it around. Advice in that area would be appreciated.

Hello WhichWay...

I just got the TeleGizmos 365 Cover T3G2 for my 14" LX850. Telegizmos says it will fit (works on 14" CGEPros).

Now here is the rub - I have not tried it out yet with the LX850 fully assembled. Nary a clear sky here except for a few sucker holes last night so I have not bothered to take out the telescope.

For the system, I just carry out the tripod and use a large hand truck/convertible cart to take the LX850 components, then I assemble it. I typically leave it set up with or without the OTA for 7-14 days IF it looks like I will have several clear days (ain't happening right now). With the new cover I will leave the entire system outdoors now for up to 14 days or until I go on my next trip (which is often).

Ok thanks, I'll check in with you in a week or so and see how it went.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5999472 - 07/31/13 03:04 AM

Just a quick FYI. Posted on the Ascom yahoo group it was mentioned that the ASCOM drivers for the LX850 are in the works and should be available for testing by the first of September.

GlennS

Reged: 06/19/12

#6286649 - 01/01/14 11:11 PM

I just got the Telegizmos Series 365 T3G2, I have a 10" LX850, and the fit is pretty generous (that was made for 12-14" OTAs on GEM).

Loden

Reged: 02/29/12

Loc: Salado, TX, USA
Re: LX850 14" new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #6507447 - 05/05/14 09:57 AM

Jason: Maybe you can answer this. I have an LX850 mount, using the Starlock, with a C1100 Edge HD/SBIG STF8300M w/8 pos filter wheel. I have used the mount with both the 0.7 reducer and straight up at f10. After a Starlock auto-drift align double check with "no turns required" in both Az and El, upon imaging - generally east to overhead, I get definite RA movement causing elongated stars in as little as 3 minutes.
- I followed up with a manual drift check and, given the poor seeing, the star stayed put on the crosshair for times up to five minutes both in the east and south. But as soon as I start imaging I get RA drift! Yes, the scope/camera/etc. are balanced.And, yes, I did PEC training. The only step I left out was running a Star-Lock utility monitor as that takes a second RS 232 cable/USB2 port & Serial Port assignment. All that I have not tried is Automatic Rate Calibration. Could that alone cause such drift?

Loden

Reged: 02/29/12

Loc: Salado, TX, USA
Re: LX850 14" new [Re: Loden]
      #6507457 - 05/05/14 10:02 AM

Just for the record and for anyone looking at the size telescope that one would need the LX850 mount to carry, the anti-vibration pads are not optional, even though the mount has rubber-like pads on the feet. I ruined an image just by walking near the mount after my dog ate the pads and I had it setting on a stone walkway. Even the RA tracking motor vibration shows up without the pads.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: LX850 14" new [Re: Loden]
      #6507518 - 05/05/14 10:39 AM

Quote:

The only step I left out was running a Star-Lock utility monitor as that takes a second RS 232 cable/USB2 port & Serial Port assignment. All that I have not tried is Automatic Rate Calibration. Could that alone cause such drift?

You don't need two connections. If the PC is connected to the Starlock, it can access the mount from there. Just use that connection for everything.

The rate calibration is well worth doing; it adjusts guiding for the seeing conditions being experienced at the time. I don't know what the defaults are but in a pinch you can set both axes to 25 or so if you don't want to use the cal routine.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: LX850 14" new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6511170 - 05/07/14 01:04 AM

Loden,

John has it right (always does!), but let me emphasize some key steps in the set-up. My first few uses I breezed through the manual ignoring valuable sections on set-up and use.

(1) After initial set-up and alignment you want to do the PE training.
(2) Automatic Rate Calibration (ARC): Then, and emphasized in the LX850 manual: "Obtaining best performance from StarLocked telescopes requires that the guiding aggressiveness be optimally set for current viewing/imaging conditions. This is an essential procedure to obtain peak tracking accuracy". Before every imaging session I do this procedure . Also, when the conditions change, such as Moon set and Moon rise I redo the ARC procedure. Otherwise StarLock will use incorrect settings and the results can be bad.

Whenever I change OTAs and redo the balancing and alignment I always do steps (1) and (2).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17989

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics