Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jobryant
sage

Reged: 01/13/09

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5679755 - 02/14/13 03:33 PM

Thanks t.r. The guy was asking $1300 so I'm pretty sure he must have bought his new and not on sale.

Does anyone know if the 92L will ever go back on sale anytime soon or why they went on sale the first time? I hate to spend anymore than $1000 on a used one just in case they go on sale again and I can get a new one for $1200.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: Jobryant]
      #5679767 - 02/14/13 03:41 PM

Can't recall for sure, but I think I got mine new for $1295 on sale and they have put these on sale several times now. If you can wait a while they will probably do it again. You might call Astronomics and see if they will just sell it to you for the sale price anyway. I have negotiated with the local scope dealer on several items over the last few years and got the items for less than an online sale price. So I know it can be done with some dealers.

Jobryant
sage

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: Lane]
      #5680062 - 02/14/13 07:07 PM

Thanks Lane that's good to know. Normally I wouldn't care too much if I didn't get a good deal on a scope that I want but I'm buying the TMB 92L to compare it to my Vixen ED114SS. Which ever one I like better I'll keep so there's a good chance I will need to resale the 92L. This is why I'm looking to buy used so if I happen to sell the 92L I can get what I paid for it.

Edited by Jobryant (02/14/13 08:39 PM)

Lane
Post Laureate

#5680586 - 02/15/13 02:28 AM

I am not sure why you are buying a 92L to compare to your 114mm, but I can tell you that if your reason is anything but portability then you should probably consider buying something else. The short focal length means you will see curvature when using most long focal length eyepieces. I had to experiment with a lot of eyepieces to figure out which ones could handle that curvature well and as you can probably guess the ones that worked best were definitely not the cheap ones.

I already had a very nice AT106mm apo before I got the 92L. The 106mm has optics just as good at the 92L and no curvature issues at all. So the only reason I got the 92L was because I could not carry the 106mm and its mount plus my C11 and its mount in my car along with my camping gear and cloths. I wanted to have a wide field refractor with me to complement the C11 when I traveled to dark sites and traveled on vacation. The 92L was much smaller and could use a simple Stellarvue M2 mount on a small photo tripod. So it takes up very little space in the car. There is also the bonus that this little scope makes the ultimate daytime spotting scope.

Jobryant
sage

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: Lane]
      #5682703 - 02/16/13 01:15 AM

Portability is one reason but I do a lot of afocal photography/videos and while the 114 works really well for this I feel that a triplet might give me noticeably better results. A color free sharper view is more what I'm hoping to find in the 92L. This comparison is strictly for daytime use as well. All my afocal photos and videos are of birds and wildlife. I sometimes get the feeling that a 114mm scope is a bit overkill for a daytime spotter.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5682739 - 02/16/13 01:50 AM

Well the 92L is a great spotting scope, I have never taken a picture through it but Astronomics sells a .8x reducer/field flattener for this scope for photography that you might want in addition to the scope.

To keep it steady for taking pictures you will need a sturdy tripod. I use an old Bogen 3036 which is perfect. Camera mounts that could handle this scope are going to be very expensive, like one of the bigger manfrotto geared heads, so I suggest a simple alt-az scope mount instead. I use the Stellarvue M2, but there is also the Giro and several others which would all work with a small scope like this.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2529

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics