Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Looking for recommendations for a field atlas new [Re: Swamp Fox]
      #5656155 - 02/01/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

In fact, I was afraid they may become unavailable like Rukl's atlas, so I bought 5 copies so I would never run out!

Smart! That's what happens to everything I find useful. It'll be around for years, until I discover it - then it disappears.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Looking for recommendations for a field atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5656166 - 02/01/13 11:19 AM

Rick,

Quote:

Mike, it sounds like you need "Moon Mars and Venus" by Rukl - do you have that already? The complete Rukl atlas, in a book the size of a moderately thick paperback novel? That's the ultimate in large scale but small size.

Yep, I have MMV. Got it for a really nice price, too, shipped from England several years ago. I do like that size and image scale. It is pretty much ideal. But I'm reluctant to bring it out in the field and subject it to the Maryland dew. So it's pretty much a bookshelf queen.

Now if I had something like that, in the same size and format, but laminated, I would throw it in the equipment bag. Of course, I could scan the MMV, print out the pages, and have them laminated or slipped into cover sheets. But that is a lot of time and work. Especially since some of these newer lunar field atlases are coming close to an MMV.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2093

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics