Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)
idunno

Reged: 08/28/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #6062969 - 09/04/13 04:17 PM

I just called Adoroma and they had just released the last one....I am not having any luck finding one in stock anywhere. I am on a wait list though, but there are 34 peeps in front of me and Celestron says they are releasing 500 or so mid month and another 500 at the end of the month, looks like I won't be able to get one until Oct.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6063014 - 09/04/13 04:40 PM

I agree with the new owner who said the manual is odd and isn't comprehensive. Other Cel;estron hand control/mount manuals have always included in recent years, a "site map" type tree diagram showing a tree of all menus and their options. Nothing of that sort is in this manual and some options on some menus are I think not mentioned at all in the manual, leaving us new owners to muddle our way through as we explore. It is more like a "quick start" manual with its glossy cover than a comprehensive manual discussing all menus and options available. Hopefully Celestron will later put a more comprehesive and up to date with latest firmware manual online for downloading.

I say more up to date because I suspect the manual might have been written before the final released versions of firmware were finished, and has not been fully updated to match the released formware. For instance the manual says for date entry that the year is entered and displayed on the new HC in YYYY four digit form when in fact the year is entered and displays in YY two digit form, at least that is how it is on my newly unboxed unit.

Cheers.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6063015 - 09/04/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

I was actually pleased with those postponements hoping that they were beta testing and updating the unit so that it would be truly ready for the public. Oh, and in regard to some of the comments I've seen regarding the price of this, as an IT professor at a university I can really appreciate the programming required to make this unit do what it does. Programming takes time and money. Product design also takes time and money. So I do NOT begrudge Celestron in any way for the pricing on this unit. I want them to make a profit and stay in business to continue to provide us with the tools we want for this hobby. So those who think it's overpriced, shut up!

I agree !! Just ordered from Adorama. Looking forward to trying this on my 8SE!

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6063029 - 09/04/13 04:52 PM

I agree the price is just fine, remembering we I hope want Celestron to make enough profit to stay viable.

With this unit one gets a camera with the same sensor as the QHY5 camera, two choices of robust and solid seeming attachment brackets, a brand new hand control that works on both Eq and Alt-Az mounts with the same firmware (a first I think for celestron), and then all the clever software/firmware and a possibly massive improvement to ease of alignment and setup for goto mounts for many less skilled astronomers.

I think all that well and truly justifies the price ... if this product has been released in good working order!

No doubt there will be the odd dud unit as with all new techincal products, but hopefully all but a few work as described. the next few months of first light reports will give us all an idea of that.

Cheers

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: idunno]
      #6063247 - 09/04/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

I just called Adoroma and they had just released the last one....I am not having any luck finding one in stock anywhere. I am on a wait list though, but there are 34 peeps in front of me and Celestron says they are releasing 500 or so mid month and another 500 at the end of the month, looks like I won't be able to get one until Oct

Try Hands on Optics. They had 3 left after I ordered mine.

Charlie B

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Charlie B]
      #6063297 - 09/04/13 07:52 PM

Try Woodland Hills Camera. I walked in there at lunch time yesterday and they just received a shipment. They still have them online per their website.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Carrera991]
      #6063304 - 09/04/13 07:55 PM

I have not had a chance to try mine out yet but I did install the HC to set the parameters. I notice that the GPS cannot be used and there is no option to do a 2+4 alignment that I saw. Am I missing something? The HC is quite a bit different than my non+ HC so maybe I just missed it.

BTW is there anyway to view the camera image? Perhaps take a real wide field image?

Well I tried fooling around with it (indoors due to rain), and I can find no way to do a 2+4 with the SS controller. I even tried unplugging the camera and the unit will not give you that option. I guess if the camera borks in the field for some reason you better have your original HC with you.

http://www.celestron.com/portal/articles/ask-team-celestron-starsense-accessory/
"To clarify, the StarSense controller replaces the NexStar controller. It retains all of the same functions, but with the addition of StarSense Technology automatic alignment, as well as multi-star calibration mount modeling."

Well that certainly needs to be edited!

Edited by Stew57 (09/04/13 08:18 PM)

TennDon

Reged: 07/10/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6063313 - 09/04/13 08:05 PM

Has anyone tried using the SS accessory to align (e.g., an AVX or CG5) and use an iPad and SkySafari (via the SkyFi wireless acessory) to then goto objects in SkySafari's database.

If so, how did it work?

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: TennDon]
      #6063328 - 09/04/13 08:23 PM

On my list to try but first I need to sneak my iPad outside before my kids notice.

Tonight I have some testing to do for Celestron and then I a going to work on testing polar alignment and finally pointing abilities as was requested earlier in the thread. I will not have enough time to do even this much so testing Sky Safari will have to wait until maybe tomorrow or Friday if weather holds out.

jw54

Reged: 11/22/05

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: TennDon]
      #6063361 - 09/04/13 08:45 PM

I don't have the mounts you mentioned but SkySafari on both my Mac and iPad via SkiFi worked like they did with my NexStar controller. I was using a SE6 and a wedge mounted NS11.

John

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6063374 - 09/04/13 08:54 PM

Having all sorts of alignment problems with mine on both SE and CG-5 mounts (southern hemisphere) so far, which I won't go into at the moment, but I did get it working enough to see that it responds to skysafari pro android with bluetooth link, and it was doing gotos sent from the app and could lock app to what seemed to be position of scope, I think that waas on my CG-5 mount that I tried Skysafari with it, but it wouldn't seem to take the time and gps location from the app as the old nextstar and nexstar+ hcs did so I have had to enter location and date/tm manually into the hc.

I have played with it on both my SE and CG-5 mounts.

Definitely no 2+4, 1 star, or skyalign 3 star alignments etc. You have I think from memory auto starsense align, manual starsense align (both with up to 10 added calibration positions - not calibration stars but calibration sky areas for an added image/solve of an area of sky different from the three[alt-az mount]/four [Eq mount] initial sky areas solved), quick align as it was on the old hcs I think, and manual solar system align not using the camera (1 object but can add multiple calibration objects to that). Also you still have all star polar align or something very like it which looks to work in much the sme way as before, to be done after other alignment methods.

There is also a new thing called save and load alignments. I think up to ten alignments can be saved, but the very lacking in content manual has absolutely no detail on what that means and what it gives you, how you use it in detail. Does it mean you can save an alignment and reload it if the mount hasn't been moved since switch off, instead of using hibernate (which is still there as an option) or what?

My understanding is that the camera cannot be used as a camera for guding or imaging, at least not with the released firmware so far, that it is just for aligning alone at this stage. Certainly i can't see any menu options for using it for anything but manual or auto starsense aligns and adding associated calibration positions etc.

As well as set hc to default settings (instead of set to factory settings on old hcs) there is also an option called Reset AIS Camera under the Starsense Camera Menu, but I havent yet seen anything in the manual about what that does either. That is different from something called reset alignment which is elsewhere in the menus.

The menu options not mentioned at all in the manual are several, as far as I can see, and that is a little disappointing. The manual is more like a glossy covered quick start manual than a fully featured user manual exploring and explaining all options in all menus. But that isn't unusual in this day and age. The basic set up and alignment steps do seem to be covered in it at least.

Cheers,
Chris

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6063399 - 09/04/13 09:09 PM

Thanks Chris

That is what I am finding out just perusing the HC. There is no way to operate the scope from this HC without the camera. Celestron was a bit dishonest about maintaining all the functionality of the original controller, just adding auto aligning to it. If the pointing accuracy is quite a bit better than it may be a good trade off. I am going to go through the menu tree of the original controller just to compare the two. Without a SS edition of nexremote I am a little suspect of the SS.

C8er

#6063401 - 09/04/13 09:11 PM

One thing I can't see in any of the menus is calibrate RA and Calibrate Goto which were in the nexstar and nexstar+ hc menus and which I used after alignments or rebalancing my CG-5 mount but never totally understood. I know the calibrate goto was something to do with letting the mount adjust best goto approach for how well or badly balanced the mount was but that is all. Calibrate RA I never understood at all but did anyway. Anyway, both seem to have disappeared from the new starsense hc menus.

Cheers,
Chris

C8er

#6063413 - 09/04/13 09:27 PM

Hi Stew. As far as I can see you cannot do any type of align, not even a non camera solar system 1 object one without the camera plugged in to the mount and initialised, but then we all will have our old nexstar or nexstar+ hcs as well to plug in and use for the old style aligns if we have to use them.

The whole idea is I think that this camera is intended to find and solve stars/sky positions and align the mount better and more accurately than (or at minimum as well as) we could do it through it an EP, so we shouldn't, if it works as intended, need the old methods. I have no problem with that so long as it does wor as well as intended.

That is the big question we will all see answered over the coming months/weeks, hopefully postively. Mine is so far having multiple align problems, or rather goto problem after the iniital align, which may or may not be be southern hemisphere only problems somewhat like the still unfixed ASPA Nexstar+ HC problem. I will find out more about the cause of my starsense troubles over the coming days no doubt.

While I have had major problems at a later stage in the process I was impressed how quickly and easily it found stars and solved the position for an initial autoalign in a very much not yet dark sky, about 40 minutes before "amateur dark" time. And on another occasion how it quickly did a successful autoalign with a lot of moving scattered cloud about and areas obscured by trees and a house. That is on My SE mount. On my CG-5 I havent been able to get it to find stars and solve/align at all yet, but that could be me entering things wrong in my exitiement of playing with a new toy, or any number of reasons yet.

Cheers,
Chris

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6063420 - 09/04/13 09:30 PM

I found the following in the manual;

"Some telescopes, like the Advanced VX, have a Real
Time Clock (RTC), others like the CPC/CPC DX
have a Global Positioning System (GPS), which
saves and keeps track of time. If your telescope
has neither of these, you will need to enter the time
manually when setting up your telescope."

I must be missing something.

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6063429 - 09/04/13 09:46 PM

Hi Stew,

Go to the Time/Location menu, then Time/Loc Source submenu option, then you can choose from one of three options. GPS accessory, Internal real time clock, and Saved Site. Hopefully that will get your gps talking to the unit.

Cheers,
Chris

TennDon

Reged: 07/10/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: jw54]
      #6063432 - 09/04/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

I don't have the mounts you mentioned but SkySafari on both my Mac and iPad via SkiFi worked like they did with my NexStar controller. I was using a SE6 and a wedge mounted NS11.

John

Thanks. So it would probably work in the EQ mode as well.
When the clouds vanish (fat chance) I'll see how it works on the CG 5.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6063444 - 09/04/13 09:54 PM

I found that but no options showed up. The couple of time I tried it I thought the unit locked up. I left it on there once and went to use the rest room. Came back and lo and behold it is there! Now itt has been stuck on updating time from source for a couple of minutes now. Maybe time for another bathroom break!

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Stew57]
      #6063453 - 09/04/13 10:00 PM

Lol. Good luck with the GPS acquriing a fix and comunicating it ot the hc during the extra bathroom break.

Cheers,
Chris

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: C8er]
      #6063480 - 09/04/13 10:22 PM

OK after further testing the Celestron CN16 GPS locks the SS HC up. The set The reason I got to the menu the one time is I had unplugged the CN16. Without the CN16 the time/loc source choices show up right away. So no to the CN16 if you have one. The RTC will take care of the time but there are a few locations I travel between. I will have to get back in the habit of inputting the location data again when I travel.

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51545

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics