Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6072098 - 09/09/13 08:50 PM

Yes the firmware I am trying out did fix the freeze ups I was having. Sending the firmware out to their beta testers wouldn't help if they themselves do not have any issues. One thing I would like to mention. If you register on TeamCelestron and fill out your equipment profile to include the StarSense and post mentioning that you have issues and you would be willing to test new firmware, my understanding is that the purpose of that site is to allow people to beta test firmware under a controlled environment and by signing up you are essentially signing an agreement not to distribute the firmware to others. This may be the fastest way to get it I would think. Something to consider anyways.

Quote:

Thanks for the videos Michael. Good to see you now have the thing working. I presume the firmware fix they sent you for the lockups did work in the end?

Watching your videos I have suddenly wondered if Celestron thought of coding this thing to ask us how many autoalign areas we want in total, anything from 3-13 for altaz mounts, and from 4-14 for Eq mounts, then we could have left the unit to choose, goto, and automatically solve all of the areas, not just automatically do the first 3-4 only and leave us to manually slew it and choose where to point for the up to 10 calibration areas.

It could have worked out a pattern so all the calibration areas were well spaced over most of the sky probbaly better than we can manually.

You would still need an option to choose and slew to extra manual areas of interest to be solved later but I'm sure that could have been managed.

Cheers,
Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #6072125 - 09/09/13 09:05 PM

Pease keep us informed Brandon... thank you
Kasey

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6072256 - 09/09/13 10:35 PM

Good luck Brandon. I hope it goes well.

I have major goto problems on my 8SE with the unit, after what it reports as successful aligns, but I am in the southern hemipshere and that may be the cause of all my problems with the unit. I am talking with Celestron about my problems.

Do let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers,
Chris
Quote:

Adorama is delivering my Starsense this Wednesday. Looking forward to testing it with the 8SE and CGEM DX! Fingers crossed

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #6073662 - 09/10/13 06:03 PM

My Starsense from Woodland Hills is on my doorstep, according to UPS. But, of course, we are in the midst of a very cloudy, rainy week in Colorado.

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6073873 - 09/10/13 08:29 PM

Just received this from Celestron:

"There is a bug with the CGE series mount and my engineers having begun working on a resolution for it. There will likely be an update released for CGE and CGE Pro users, and we will keep you updated when it becomes available."

In other words, if you have a CGE r CGE PRO don't bother.

ChubbyNinja

Reged: 12/07/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Carrera991]
      #6073980 - 09/10/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

Just received this from Celestron:

"There is a bug with the CGE series mount and my engineers having begun working on a resolution for it. There will likely be an update released for CGE and CGE Pro users, and we will keep you updated when it becomes available."

In other words, if you have a CGE r CGE PRO don't bother.

Great. I just spent a couple hours trying mine for the first time and it was slewing everywhere but up at the sky. I tried a manual alignment and it stated it was successful. Afterwards when I tried to do a sky tour it began to point the scope at China. You'd think they would test these things before shipping them.

Thanks for the update. It's encouraging to hear that they've acknowledged a problem after this evening of frustration.

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: ChubbyNinja]
      #6074162 - 09/10/13 11:37 PM

My problem is that the wild slews caused a severe cord wrap and now my scope cannot find the switch position. Total cluster on Celestron's part.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #6075374 - 09/11/13 03:25 PM

UPS just delivered the Starsense, and the skies have been clearing all afternoon. If this holds out I will test with the 8SE tonight. Fingers still crossed.

C8er

#6075451 - 09/11/13 04:06 PM

I'll wait to hear your results with keen interest after my post-align goto problems here in the southern hemisphere on the 8SE mount.

Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for you too.

Cheers,
Chris

Quote:

UPS just delivered the Starsense, and the skies have been clearing all afternoon. If this holds out I will test with the 8SE tonight. Fingers still crossed.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#6075528 - 09/11/13 04:55 PM

Well I am jumping in. I just ordered mine from Adorama. Their last one in stock. What sold me was the added polar alignment feature ala ASPA plus WWN's video's. I didn't think it would do that initially. It looks like it takes the same amount of time as if I am doing a manual align, gives me about the same accuracy, and doubles up as a nice tool for the outreach stuff I do.[1]

My plan is to mount the shoe to an ADM Vixen VA quick release adapter so I can move it between my three scopes. My thought is that if I have the unit aligned for my SCT's then it should do ok on my Tak... Any thoughts on that plan? (possible responses) We love you but please put the crack pipe down since it's making you say loopy things! Or possible with tweaking... Or by God man you're a bloody genius!

Dr.Who

[1] It *REALLY* grind's the Dobbie crew's gears when I roll up with the AVX/Edge 1100 and do more than just the moon and planets when asked without having to star hop in urban mall LP. Small and bitter person much? Yep. But I have to take my fun where I can and if you are that serious about it you need to relax. It's about having fun not warring over which platform/technique is superior. I mean we have indoor plumbing, flush toilets, antibiotics, and cook our food after all...

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#6075531 - 09/11/13 04:58 PM

Mounted the Starsense, set up location (manual lat/long), time and date. Initial indoor testing in Starsense Auto mode is promising in that all slews are above the horizon, nothing crazy.

C8er

#6075596 - 09/11/13 05:48 PM

So far so good Brandon. My unit is fine on my SE mount until after the initial autoalign is complete, which happens just fine. Then all the gotos after the align go bad.

Fingers crossed you don't have that same problem.

Chris

Quote:

Mounted the Starsense, set up location (manual lat/long), time and date. Initial indoor testing in Starsense Auto mode is promising in that all slews are above the horizon, nothing crazy.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6075943 - 09/11/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

[1] It *REALLY* grind's the Dobbie crew's gears when I roll up with the AVX/Edge 1100 and do more than just the moon and planets when asked without having to star hop in urban mall LP. Small and bitter person much? Yep. But I have to take my fun where I can and if you are that serious about it you need to relax. It's about having fun not warring over which platform/technique is superior. I mean we have indoor plumbing, flush toilets, antibiotics, and cook our food after all...

love it!

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#6076047 - 09/11/13 10:58 PM

I am happy to report that the Starsense has been working pretty well tonight with the 8SE. The only issue encountered was what appeared to be a lockup when the mount was slewing to a new position during auto. I hit the back button and then it kept on slewing and finished the alignment.

After calibrating, realigning and adding a few reference calibrations, the Starsense put targets in the the f.o.v. of the Leica zoom at the lowest magnification setting.

So far it gets a thumbs up from me. The alignment is just as good as my manual alignments but much more convenient. Next tests will be attempting alignments with a more restricted horizon, and hopefully testing with the CGEM DX this weekend.

Chris, I hope you get the issue with yours sorted out soon!

C8er

#6076073 - 09/11/13 11:18 PM

That's great news Brandon. Celestron have said they have a firmware fix for those occasional lockups during aligns in the works, which seem to affect more than one mount model.

I think your result makes it even more likely that my problems on the SE mount are probably southern hemisphere related. Hopefully they can (and have the will to) fix them reasonably quickly.

I say hopefully because they haven't yet fixed an I think 20 month old bug in the Nextstar+ hand controls that means ASPA doesn't work on those HCs in the southern hemisphere, so I'm a bit nervous as to what priority they will give any possible southern hemisphere bugs in the firmware of these units. Anyway they have had me do some test runs and send them the results, so they are onto it so far.

What version of motor control firmware does your SE mount have? I'd be interested to see if it's the same as mine which is Azm Ver: 5.14, Alt Ver: 5.14. If yours is different I might update mine to the same and see if that might fix my starsense problems on the mount.

Chris .

Quote:

I am happy to report that the Starsense has been working pretty well tonight with the 8SE. The only issue encountered was what appeared to be a lockup when the mount was slewing to a new position during auto. I hit the back button and then it kept on slewing and finished the alignment.

After calibrating, realigning and adding a few reference calibrations, the Starsense put targets in the the f.o.v. of the Leica zoom at the lowest magnification setting.

So far it gets a thumbs up from me. The alignment is just as good as my manual alignments but much more convenient. Next tests will be attempting alignments with a more restricted horizon, and hopefully testing with the CGEM DX this weekend.

Chris, I hope you get the issue with yours sorted out soon!

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#6076140 - 09/12/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

What version of motor control firmware does your SE mount have? I'd be interested to see if it's the same as mine which is Azm Ver: 5.14, Alt Ver: 5.14.

Chris, I have the same version.

C8er

#6076237 - 09/12/13 01:09 AM

Thanks for that on the version Brandon. Enjoy.

Hopefully I will be up and running too in a week or three if they can make my unit work in the southern hemisphere on the SE mount.

Cheers,
Chris

Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: C8er]
      #6077354 - 09/12/13 04:12 PM

I received my StarSense yesterday and was fortunate that last night was good for viewing. I have a C5 on my original C8se Alt-Az mount for a grab and go scope with a dovetail finder mount that is compatible with the small StarSense mount. So I put the supplied small mount onto the StarSense, slipped it onto my C5, swapped the HC for the SS HC, and plugged the SS into the aux port and headed outside. I am pleased to report that it worked pretty much as advertised for me. I did an auto align followed by the Camera center function on a star, power cycled and performed another auto align. I noticed it positioned a test star to the same off center point like before my prior centering process, so I went back to the center function and saw that the adjusted value had not been saved. Not sure what I did wrong, but I performed the center function again, made sure I followed the process and powered down when prompted. This time when powering backup and performing the auto align all went well, and when slewing to objects they were now centered. I double checked the camera center value and saw that it had been updated this time OK.

The auto align took about 2 min, including skipping its first stopping point since it was pointed at trees :-) I added 6 more calibration areas and spent some time slewing to various objects. My first impression is it was centering my GoTos much better than the old 2 star align did. So I am pleased so far.

By the way, I also tried plugging in my GPS to the Alt-Az aux port and the camera into the pass through port on the GPS and it all worked fine. I was able to select the GPS as my location and time source, and the StarSense worked OK too.

My next step is to try it out with my C8 on the Alt-Az mount. I also plan to try it out on my C8 on my CG-5 GEM and am eager to see how well the polar align works, but had to order the port splitter since the CG-5 does not have an aux port.

I'll post follow up results as weather permits.

Jim

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6077633 - 09/12/13 07:45 PM

Last night I moved the 8SE to my pack patio with a limited horizon. After two tries the Starsense failed to obtain an Auto Align. I tried a manual align and was extremely pleased! Without adding Cal Reference alignments, I was able to put all targets directly in the center of the f.o.v.

I am very impressed!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #6077967 - 09/12/13 11:12 PM

Used the SS with the CGEM tonight. Pointing accuracy afert auto align and 1 calibration point is +-4 arcminutes. Adding more points did not seem to make a difference. I can not get the ASPA to be very accurate. Must be missing something. I tried with doing a calibration point n near the star chosen and it made no difference.

The really weird thing; I aligned the mount and added 1 calibration point. I thought I would take a quick peak at the Dumbell since I was using the mallincam to check pointing accuracy. I went to deepsky named and found the dumbbell. Pressed enter and the mount slewed but was off. I added a calibration point for that area. Went to go back to deepsky, named, dumbbell, but it was gone. I went to deepsky, messier and entered 027. It wouldn't slew there it would change to 028. The Dumbell disappeared! Vega is nonexistent no matter where in the sky it is. Anyone else have trouble with the database on the SS hand controller?

I timed the SS at aligning (note I had already performed the camera align).It takes 25 seconds to boot and be ready to align. It takes on average 5 minutes after that to be ready. To get good pointing one would need to add a calibration point about a minute more. Then you need to add aspa.

I have been using a mallincam with cross box for aligning. I would think that contributes to an accurate alignment. The SS will be easier and much more accurate than using an eyepiece.

Has anyone checked the database on their SS after aligning for missing objects or objects that are below the horizon being listed?

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58578

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics