Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6094945 - 09/22/13 12:05 PM

Copied from another link I posted earlier
As per Celestron support web site
"The directions can be either positive or negative and are defined as seen from the back of the scope in an equatorial north position. For altitude or declination, positive moves the tube counterclockwise, negative clockwise around the declination axis. For azimuth (RA), positive moves the front of the scope to the right, negative to the left.
Always set the direction of approach in the opposite direction from the load pulling on the scope. This minimizes effects of backlash in the gear train. The load in altitude is usually because of gravity acting on the scope’s imbalance from accessories (eyepieces and the like). The load in azimuth is due to tracking and is opposite (in reaction) to the tracking direction, so the approach direction will be the same direction as tracking.
Whether to set positive or negative in altitude or azimuth depends on your scope, the type of mount, its orientation, southern or northern hemisphere location and load from attached accessories.
Many users stick with the default, which is altitude negative, azimuth positive. For the SCT with a star diagonal, GOTOs will be seen as moving to the up and right with these settings.
For your Advanced GT German equatorial mount, when you flip the scope to the opposite side of the mount when tracking across the meridian, you must change the GOTO DIRECTION in declination (altitude) to maintain minimal backlash.
In the southern hemisphere from behind the scope, the west is to the left, reversing the GOTO APPROACH settings for azimuth (RA)
NOTE: when aligning the mount, use the same approach directions to center your alignment stars as you are using for GOTO APPROACH for the best GOTO performance.
Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dan.ostler

Reged: 10/18/06

#6095078 - 09/22/13 01:33 PM

Many thanks for the replies! The SS is very clear when it says "finish slewing using the UP and RIGHT direction BUTTONS.....this corrects any mechanical backlash in your mount".

The direction buttons reverse at slow slew speeds to make it easier/more logical to center an object in the FOV.

So to properly correct for backlash (forget FOV for now) are the SS instructions meaning that the OT should be moving LEFT and DOWN (when pressing UP and RIGHT at slow slew) in order to have the desired effect on the gears?

And therefore one should never change the default settings for the direction buttons?

Thanks
Dan

dan.ostler

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dan.ostler]
      #6095082 - 09/22/13 01:38 PM

Posted the above before seeing Kasey's reply, although I am still confused....

Dan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6095183 - 09/22/13 02:46 PM

Don't make it more complicated than it is. The instructions mean just what they day: center the star using the up and right buttons. Period.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6095329 - 09/22/13 04:24 PM

Your only centering on one star when doing the calibration.

Neilson

dan.ostler

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6095447 - 09/22/13 05:35 PM

OK, thanks for the clarification. Now all I need is some clear sky!

Dan

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

#6095532 - 09/22/13 06:26 PM

Just to muddy the waters, am sitting in garage with scope and align on venus, and every way I go off target and reselect venus or even saturn the scope finishes in a down and right slew till it stops. It may go other directions to get there but the last moves of the scope are down and right??? I had factory reset it prio to this and settings for go-to are RA positive and DEC positive,
Kasey

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6095557 - 09/22/13 06:43 PM

beating a dead horse, Rod, up and right from back of scope, E/P, or camera screen, diagonal or minus diagonal?
Kasey

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6095590 - 09/22/13 07:07 PM

Upand right from thr HC buttons. Ignore up and right in the scope eyepiece, finder, or camera. If you pass up center use down and left to pass up center so you can END using up and right.

hrgreen

Reged: 02/02/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6096325 - 09/23/13 07:47 AM

Dr. Who et al............

I first tried the SS, as I said earlier, on the 12th, and it was generally working, altho I didn't have the SkySync enabled and was using the wrong date/time. I got to try again on the 19th, and it worked fine until the Moon came up. After that, neither Auto or Manual would work, and I got an error message 6 over 1 at the right of the screen. Tried to use areas away from the Moon, but somewhat limited by trees.

Can lens artifacts be causing this? Would a longer lens hood help?

Hal

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6096355 - 09/23/13 08:15 AM

Quote:

beating a dead horse, Rod, up and right from back of scope, E/P, or camera screen, diagonal or minus diagonal?
Kasey

Hold hand control upright. Up and right buttons are...the...well...up and right buttons.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6096523 - 09/23/13 10:11 AM

Quote:

Upand right from thr HC buttons. Ignore up and right in the scope eyepiece, finder, or camera. If you pass up center use down and left to pass up center so you can END using up and right.

What he ^ said.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6096674 - 09/23/13 11:45 AM

LOL,, well up and right from what perspective, have heard as viewed from back of the scope (OTA moves up and right) then from E/P as viewed, then with diagonal and viewing thru E/P, then thru camera viewer, then up and right as viewed on a monitor via camera output ,,, Never heard before explicitly [put , do not look at anything else... KEYPAD ONLY, UP AND RIGHT BUTTONS, , does not matter what anything else does, LOL, thank=you, Kasey

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #6097236 - 09/23/13 06:12 PM

Perspective is everything, n'est ce pas?

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6097630 - 09/23/13 11:08 PM

Update:

Derik at Celestron has been very responsive at teamcelestron.com which is great! Thank you Derik!

Unfortunately this doesn't look to be a moon glow problem in my case. I attempted again tonight with clear skies and no moon up high enough to cause any more than normal LP effect for me.

Tried 3 auto and 2 manual aligns. 1st one's before resetting the camera. 2nd and 3rd after a camera reset. All failed with error 61.

I had reset the HC to factory default previous to these tests and confirmed RTC was on, date/time/DST/offset were correct as well as Lat/Lon. So no issues there. Also scope was roughly aligned to Polaris via polar scope hole rough centering.

So... Looks like it could be a problem with the unit itself hardware wise or a different more profound issue with the software since it worked once flawlessly and everything since has been rubbish regardless of the moon or not.

hrgreen

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6097846 - 09/24/13 04:00 AM

Dr. Who, I haven't had the sky to try again, but my guess is that I'll get the same result since our symptoms earlier were the same. Maybe my problem isn't the Moon either.

The other things that might be involved are that:
1. My Aligns worked before I had the GPS item turned on
2. They worked before I did the "calibrate center" successfully, tho I had tried it with an incorrect default clock/date setting.
3. None have worked since.

Celestron just advised me to try a "Moon" Align.

Let me know if you make any headway.

Hal

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: hrgreen]
      #6098413 - 09/24/13 12:48 PM

Hi Hal,

I am going to try the firmware update just released per advice of the "might help can't hurt" kind. The downside is depending on the fire that is currently burning in the San Gabriel mountains I may not have an opportunity to test for a while due to smoke.

Carson

Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: dr.who]
      #6099481 - 09/24/13 10:53 PM

Quote:

Update:

Derik at Celestron has been very responsive at teamcelestron.com which is great! Thank you Derik!

Unfortunately this doesn't look to be a moon glow problem in my case. I attempted again tonight with clear skies and no moon up high enough to cause any more than normal LP effect for me.

Tried 3 auto and 2 manual aligns. 1st one's before resetting the camera. 2nd and 3rd after a camera reset. All failed with error 61.

I had reset the HC to factory default previous to these tests and confirmed RTC was on, date/time/DST/offset were correct as well as Lat/Lon. So no issues there. Also scope was roughly aligned to Polaris via polar scope hole rough centering.

So... Looks like it could be a problem with the unit itself hardware wise or a different more profound issue with the software since it worked once flawlessly and everything since has been rubbish regardless of the moon or not.

Ditto about Derik - Thanks.

It seems the moon was not my problem either. I have not been able to get a good align now even with dark skies. Worked well the first three days so I know how good this product can be! I am definitely going to hang in there with them to help get the problem licked.

Jim

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6101197 - 09/25/13 08:06 PM

Hey Jim,

Yeah I tried it again with dark skies and the same problem. Error 61. Per Derkik I am to do the firmware upgrade but I don't hold out much hope since you and I seem to have the same issue...

hrgreen

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: dr.who]
      #6101687 - 09/26/13 03:20 AM

I wonder if a clue is that my failures started after doing "calibrate center". I note that another user had exactly the same sequence, namely that Align Auto worked at the start of a session; we next did the CC operation, and have been unable to do an Align since then.

Maybe a "restore defaults" would remove any glitch the CC operation might have introduced. But bad skies are keeping me grounded.

Hal

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics