Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)
Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6102613 - 09/26/13 04:16 PM

dr.who,

Have you swapped out the mounting bracket any, or are you using the original larger mounting bracket? I swapped the larger one out for the smaller mounting bracket to match the brackets I have already installed on my C8 and C5. Worked fine the first three days, but wondering if that affected anything.

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakafell

Reged: 09/28/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6102998 - 09/26/13 08:24 PM

Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is very long.

Does Starsense only do its magic during the initial alignment or does it also help with gotos? Meaning if I goto an object and it ends up not being there will Starsense do its plate solving and find the object automatically?

Thanks.

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: shakafell]
      #6103041 - 09/26/13 08:56 PM

Hi Shakafell,

It does most of its work at align time, but yes, as well as the align-time processes, if you do a goto and it isn't as close as you'd like, the manual says you can then press the help button on the new starsense hand controller and it will do a quick one off image/solve and then redo the just done goto with what should be a better result.

I haven't seen anyone report they have tried that yet, and I haven't tried it myself because of problems with my initial aligns stopping me getting that far yet (Celestron are working on firmware fixes for some teething problems some people are having), but it is in the manual.

I think you can also at any time ask it to do a calibration/adjustment solve of any area of sky you are wanting to explore to get better gotos in that area of sky. Some have reported that that worsens gotos in other sreas of the sky though, but it is early days and we are all still learners with these new units.

You can download the manual for the new starsense camera and hand controller from Celestron's website. Go to their page for the new accessory then go to the support tab and the manual is there as a pdf which you can download.

Cheers,
Chris

shakafell

Reged: 09/28/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6103419 - 09/27/13 01:41 AM

Thanks Chris! As with any new product it looks like its best to take a wait and see approach for the kinks to be worked out.

But this is the kind of technology I've been expecting for years so I'm excited. It looks like the manufacturers are finally giving us built in capabilities that up until now only came with do it yourself solutions involving a bunch of devices, a rats nest of cabling and a computer with a dozen different software programs.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6103755 - 09/27/13 09:41 AM

Hi,
I'm curious if something was changed in the design at the last minute After beta testing was done. There are too many problems coming out. There is the GPS problem, the CGE line problem, the lock up problem, and the Moon lite problem. Some are trying to say that it's normal for a new product to have problems. Maybe if it was released without beta testing. But these things are what beta testing is supposed to prevent. This is not new technology for Celestron. They have been using this technology in the SkyProdigy line of telescopes for several years now. This is just a different application. They might as well have released this 6 months ago since were doing the beta testing. And I thought it was customary for beta testers to get the product free. They kept postponing and postponing the release of this and now that it's out we have to worry if were going to get one that doesn't work. Or is it going to work for a while then stop working. This isn't the quality I expected for $329. Come on Celestron, you can do better than this.

Neilson

JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6103788 - 09/27/13 09:57 AM

Neilson, good points.

I have the CGE Pro and have downloaded the patch/update. But I won't be able to install or test it until this weekend - maybe tonight. Got too busy with other priorities and, frankly, got a bit disenchanted. But I will give Celestron the benefit of the doubt that this patch will solve my issues - and those of other CGE users. We shall see...

Jeff

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6103873 - 09/27/13 10:31 AM

""They kept postponing and postponing the release of this and now that it's out we have to worry if were going to get one that doesn't work. Or is it going to work for a while then stop working. This isn't the quality I expected for $329. Come on Celestron, you can do better than this.""

Just don't buy it, let them know, and move on, switch to a different brand, Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6103929 - 09/27/13 11:01 AM

Hi,
There is no other brand of Starsense. And because of pattons it's going to be that way for a while. I have been writing letters to both Meade and Celestron to come up with something like this for several years. I doubt they will care if they lost a few customers, there is too much demand for higher technology in astronomy devices. And I'm sure they will sell plenty of these no matter what the price or quality is. I just want to keep the demand for high quality up. These companies will do anything to cut costs even if it means cutting quality. If we let them.
If we let them get away with a unit that is not very accurate or only works some of the time they will leave it that way. Then they can come out with a new improved unit that is accurate and reliable and charge twice the price. And we will buy it too because that's what we wanted in the first place.
As long as we insist that this unit is accurate and reliable they will be pressured to make sure it is.

Neilson

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6104040 - 09/27/13 11:59 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I'm curious if something was changed in the design at the last minute After beta testing was done. There are too many problems coming out. There is the GPS problem, the CGE line problem, the lock up problem, and the Moon lite problem. Some are trying to say that it's normal for a new product to have problems. Maybe if it was released without beta testing.

Oh, so you think beta testing precludes problems? May I present...Microsoft WINDOWS!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6104048 - 09/27/13 12:02 PM

Quote:

""They kept postponing and postponing the release of this and now that it's out we have to worry if were going to get one that doesn't work. Or is it going to work for a while then stop working. This isn't the quality I expected for $329. Come on Celestron, you can do better than this.""

Just don't buy it, let them know, and move on, switch to a different brand, Kasey

Dry them bitter tears.

The solution is not to have a hissy, just give 'em some time. Yeah, I know you want the new play-purty...I do too...but not enough to experience the CURSE OF THE EARLY ADOPTER.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6104298 - 09/27/13 01:52 PM

Not all early releases have the curse. I got one of the earliest Edge and have not regreted it yet.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6104301 - 09/27/13 01:56 PM

Unk is right. Best to wait. Let them get the kinks and flaws out and then buy it for $100 less in 6-9 months. Then again at that time they will probably include SS with their higher end telescope/mount packages so even better incentive to wait especially if you might be in the market for a new scope...

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#6104797 - 09/27/13 07:15 PM

Hi Jim,

I am using the original mounting bracket on an ADM Vixen detachable mount point since I am using it on my Tak not my Edge's. The mounting shouldn't make a difference though...

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6104862 - 09/27/13 08:02 PM

Nice one Unk! I have one (with problems here in the southern hemisphere on two mounts) and I'm certainly getting some early adopter grief from it, which doesn't please me but wasn't totally unexpected after the long delays in release dates indicated some sort of difficulties.

After a too long communication delay at first Celestron are now communicating well and putting out test firmware versions with fixes to try, and seem to be doing their best to try and fix the various teething problems people are having as quickly as they can. And of course not everyone has problems, so people with some mount models have the SS units working perfectly out of the box, even as early adopters.

For others who have problems with their new units and haven't joined up there yet I'd urge you to join up at Team Celestron where the test firmwares are being made available, and where it seems the main communication from/to Celestron on these issues is happening, several times a day at the moment, via a very helpful engineer there.

Cheers,
Chris

Dry them bitter tears.

The solution is not to have a hissy, just give 'em some time. Yeah, I know you want the new play-purty...I do too...but not enough to experience the CURSE OF THE EARLY ADOPTER.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6106833 - 09/29/13 01:05 AM

No moon up for me from 1935 PDT to 2000 PDT today so after I updated to 01.06.13246 HC firmware and 01.01.13246 Camera software, did a factory reset, tried two auto, and tried one manual...

... All three failed. Except this time no error code after failure.

What is interesting to me is that it goes to near Zenith for each location and only goes a few degrees from due East/West for each of the 4 auto align locations. What is also interesting is that it goes to an alignment location, shoots a image, moves itself a small amount, starts a move to the next alignment point and as it is in motion does the solve.

So it is for sure not the moon and for sure not fixed by the new BETA. What also is a commonality I share with a few others is that my unit stopped working after doing a calibration. Not saying that correlation means causation by the way.

What is also interesting to me is that this is a common problem among a small sampling of the units in the field and reporting here. Which makes me question of this being caused by a software bug alone or is it a possible hardware and software failure unique to a small subset of the run produced?

hrgreen

Reged: 02/02/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6106914 - 09/29/13 03:38 AM

One problem causing SS's originally working to quit may be coming to light. The "calibrate center" function may sometimes put out of range centering numbers into the camera register for reasons unknown.

If either of your camera cal values exceed 1000 by much, try calibrating on a star near the celestial equator and follow up with additional cal stars. This should bring your cal numbers down and maybe re-enable Auto and Manual Align. I can't try it until the sky gets better, but there has been at least one fix.

Hal

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: hrgreen]
      #6107075 - 09/29/13 08:59 AM

How does one return the calibration offset back to factory settings? He said he did a factory reset.

kianjin
journeyman

Reged: 06/06/12

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Stew57]
      #6107241 - 09/29/13 11:10 AM

Hi all, newcomer here, first posting etc. so I'll keep it short and just get to the point. My experience with it so far has been a comedy of errors.

However after wading through all 28(!) pages of this thread I don't feel so bad anymore about my new Starsense still not working as intended.

Last week, the first time I operated it, on my AVX mount, I did all the steps to auto-align and it completed without problem, but I wasn't able to get go-to working. I remembered that I had to calibrate the center. After slewing to a bright star it offered this option to me and I did it but I believe I forgot to hit ENTER and the pause in tracking may have been an issue.

So then after a power cycle and auto-align again etc. (I hate the 30s wait) and having to reset to index mark, I couldn't get it to Calibrate Center any more. Would it have propagated this error into subsequent alignments?

Last night was the second night I tried to get SSA working again. This time the go-tos were more or less accurate, but now the tracking was off, badly off. So I did an ASPA, power cycled, auto-aligned again etc. but it still didn't cure the tracking problem. I couldn't seem to find the Calibrate Center option even after I went to a named star. Should I have tried Reset Alignment? Probably will have to do a factory reset and start from scratch again tonight. This means having to baby-sit the entire process. So much for the "press a button, go away, make some coffee and come back to find everything ready to go" claim.

This is a wonderful product if it works but I think it's not ready for prime time yet. Dumbing it down for everybody is fine if you can do it without ignoring the 10% who want the more advanced features. I miss the old 2+4 alignment, among others, and Celestron should just put these old features back in a new firmware release.

I'm not trying to diss Celestron. It's a great idea for a product and making something easy is very HARD to do. I just feel they shouldn't have shipped it and turn us early adopters into beta-testers without our consent or knowledge.

JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: kianjin]
      #6107477 - 09/29/13 01:10 PM

I installed the beta update provided on Team Celestron. I was pleased that my CGE Pro no longer exhibited below the horizon pointing or wild slewing. The mount did auto align successfully, but for some reason all of the alignment pointing was just above the horizon - it never pointed up into some very clear star fields. And gotos were in the general vicinity of the target but I could never get the object into the FOV. I was unable to perform a centering operation that might have improved the goto due to clouds moving in.

I have not attempted to try it again. But pleased so far with Celestron's attempts to fix for CGE users. I hope that they are also monitoring this thread since there are a lot of issues being posted here - they have been pretty responsive lately on TeamCelestron so I would recommend that you join in that conversation if you haven't already. I've heard there is another beta coming.

Jeff

Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: dr.who]
      #6108373 - 09/29/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

I am using the original mounting bracket on an ADM Vixen detachable mount point since I am using it on my Tak not my Edge's. The mounting shouldn't make a difference though...

I agree ... I was just checking to see if perhaps swapping out mounts was a common link. I thought maybe I bumped the internal shroud and altered the pointing somehow. I rechecked it and it seems to be very secure, and since you didn't swap anything then I am sure that's not an issue.

By the way, I also upgraded to the new beta and it still gives the same alignment error message. If I can figure out how to reset the centering I may see if that makes a difference.

Jim

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 57662

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics