Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)
will1384

Reged: 02/22/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6116227 - 10/03/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

Cheers dve1. Good luck!

To the group-

Anyone get this to work with SkyQ and if so how? Would be nice to use this wirelessly with sky safari... Or is there an alternative to SkyQ that will work with Sky Safari?

I have a two Android tablets, Android phone, and a netbook that I hope to use with the AVX mount and Celestron Starsense, and I hope to use bluetooth with the Android devices, and I will be using SkySafari, and other software on Android, from what I read that cheap $16 adapter should work.

This is what I hope to do:

(1) Use the StarSense to do an alignment good enough for photography.

(2) Find my targets and move the telescope to them with my phone or tablet, using the RS-232 to bluetooth adapter, and a Celestron RS-232 cable.

(3) Use a netbook and a StarShoot AutoGuider stay locked onto the target.

(4) Take some pictures.

Wish me luck LOL

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6116340 - 10/03/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

). I can not get ASPA to work. It puts me off at least a 5 degrees in alt and a couple in az or more off. If anyone has ASPA working let me know.

Hi Mark

In my thread on TeamC Derik told me not to use ASPA right now which was next on my list to test because they know there is an issue and they are working on it.

In regards to accuracy over 2+4 ... Last night I found the opposite with gotos in all areas and elevations I went to darn near spot on and much better than I get with 2+4 unless I spend a good bit of time honing it in so this is a big win in my book. Obviously your skill and patience are better than mine though. No harm no foul.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6116345 - 10/03/13 11:38 PM

Thanks
If you align using an eyepiece then the SSA will be more accurate for sure.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

#6116346 - 10/03/13 11:38 PM

good luck Will! Would you happen to have a link to that serial to Bluetooth adapter you have working? Also how are you getting the photo data and guiding command/control and telemetry back to your Android?

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

#6116352 - 10/03/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks
If you align using an eyepiece then the SSA will be more accurate for sure.

Cheers. Dumb question but what do you use to align?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6116368 - 10/03/13 11:44 PM

I use a small chip camera (mallincam) with a cross box in the center of the FOV of whatever main scope I am using. My pointing accuracy with a 2+4 runs about +-3 arcminutes or better.

Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
      #6117777 - 10/04/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

To the group-

Anyone get this to work with SkyQ and if so how? Would be nice to use this wirelessly with sky safari... Or is there an alternative to SkyQ that will work with Sky Safari?

Dr.Who,

I have successfully used the StarSense setup with my iPhone5 attached to the SS HC using SkyWire and am able use SkySafari to slew to selected objects OK. This is on my SE alt-az mount which is now working great with the StarSense (after resolving the center calibration issue). As soon as I get clear skies I plan to test it again with my SkyFi for wireless control using SkySafari.

I will also try it on my CG-5 once I get StarSense working on it (still having some issues with my equatorial mount).

Jim

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6118166 - 10/04/13 11:25 PM

Have you tried it with the SkyFi unit or just the Skywire? I ask because the whole wireless part is a big plus.

will1384

#6118237 - 10/05/13 12:06 AM

Quote:

good luck Will! Would you happen to have a link to that serial to Bluetooth adapter you have working? Also how are you getting the photo data and guiding command/control and telemetry back to your Android?

Here are the links:

Inexpensive BT serial adapter for Sky Safari

and

CHEAP… Bluetooth Wireless Interface for Meade LX-80 Mount

I have not tried the Bluetooth adapter yet, its still in the mail, but just got my StarSense today, had to cobble together a bracket to fit the StarSense to my Sky-Watcher 80ED, as the only place it would fit is were my StarShoot AutoGuider goes, and I had to ditch my Telrad to make room for the StarSense, and now bad weather LOL.

I just want to use the Android device to help me find objects and point the telescope to them, I will still use the StarShoot AutoGuider with a netbook, and the Panasonic G3 camera and Timer / Shutter Remote does the rest, I have in the past used the RCA video out from the camera and a video capture device to display live video from the camera on the netbook, and with software generated cross hairs that makes it easy to center an object, but lately I just use the camera's LCD and center the object the best I can.

I should have the Bluetooth adapter Monday, I will report back if it all works together.

Jim Meadows

Reged: 09/12/13

Loc: MS
      #6118318 - 10/05/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

Have you tried it with the SkyFi unit or just the Skywire? I ask because the whole wireless part is a big plus.

Dr.Who,

I just tried this out tonight with my SkyFi connected to the StarSense HC, and my iPhone running SkySafari to wirelessly slew the scope to objects using SkySafari.

SkyFi can be configured to talk directly to your iPhone wirelessly, or configured to work through your home wifi for greater range.

I have used the direct wifi connection with SkyFi from my iPhone/iPad in the past (which works anywhere), and I am currently using iPhone to SkyFi via my home Wifi to give me greater range, and I can easily control the mount from inside my home.

Jim

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Jim Meadows]
      #6118557 - 10/05/13 07:00 AM

Thank you Jim that's great news!

UBobW

Reged: 06/27/13

#6118893 - 10/05/13 11:37 AM

I received my starsense yesterday and tried it. Im having similar problems as the rest of you, plus more.

I was going to try to do a comparison of go to accuracy comparing go tos between the NexStar + and the StarSense so i first did a 2/4 with aspa on the NexStar+ and did some test gotos and even a 1 min exposure on M8 to verify i was pointing and tracking ok. I then switched to the StarSense.

The instructions state that itll ask you to set up location and time after it boots up. It does not even ask. It defaults to a time that is 1 hour off from utc and a location a few degrees away from me (im in So-Cal so maybe its the hq in Torrance).

If after a factory reset i just let it do an auto align with the default time and location the auto align will work, then i can do the star centering. However if i power off then reset index power on and try to perform another auto align, it just hangs on the second or third area.

If i factory reset then power back on and first go into the menu and set the correct time and longitude/latitude then try the first auto align it fails in the second or third location, just hanging on acquiring image.

Tried this multiple times after multiple factory resets.

Gave up on auto align and tried the manual align, pointing to several different locations in the sky and letting it align on them. I did that and added multiple calibration areas. Note again the instructions say add cal reference/reference point but the menu says cal star.

I did a go to to vega and it was so so. I added that area as a calibration reference, then Vega dropped from the list of stars that i could go to. If i went to anything else the go tos were not accurate and the tracking was horrible.

By that point i had enough and went to bed.

This is with Celestron Adv vx with 6" Newt and Mallincam VSS.

I guess ill check out team Celestron.

Bob

UBobW

Reged: 06/27/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: UBobW]
      #6120473 - 10/06/13 11:53 AM

I tried this again last night. Looking at my setup from Friday, it looks like my guide scope/camera may have been partially obstructing the StarSense. I moved the StarSense on the Ota and had better but not good results.

Auto alignment, adding the centering star, power off, power on, auto alignment worked without locking up this time. I added some calibration areas around M8 and used the help button to improve accuracy in that area so i could view more accurately, that seemed to work ok.

Some slews seemed to want to go down through the earth to go to, but if i manually moved the scope close to the location it seemed to work ok. I later found a cord wrap menu setting but didnt try it. I didnt see anything about this in the manual.

Later i went to work in the area of the Pleadies and the whirlpool and couldnt get accurate tracking or go tos no matter what i did using the help button to improve pointing or adding additional calibration stars / calibration areas.

When Orion came up it didnt even list M42 in the database as a possible destination. I manually pointed the scope to M42 and added that as a calibration area and it still didnt list M42.

Current issues:
Inconsistent accuracy/tracking in different areas of the sky and the tools to improve this, the help button and addind that area as a calibration dont always help.

Several issues with the manual:
After a factory reset or the first time it is powered on the manual states that were prompted for the time and location, this does not happen, you have to go into the menu and change these values. M

Cord wrap is a menu option in the hc but is not mentioned in the manual.

Are we adding calibration stars or calibration areas? The manual and the hc seem to call these differently.

Understand that this is a brand new product but it still seems to be in beta / pre-release than a customer launched product. Taking a unit out of the box, having it not work properly then having to join a beta testers group to possibly do firmware upgrades that might fix the problems doesnt seem appropriate for a customer release.

Bob

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: UBobW]
      #6120517 - 10/06/13 12:25 PM

You found a cord wrap menu with the VX? I take it this SSA has the original firmware? Many of your problems have been alleviated with the firmware update.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6120630 - 10/06/13 01:42 PM

Beta versions of products shouldn't be released for sale. You would think that Celestron and the vendors selling this would ensure that a reasonably newer firmware was installed prior to letting this out the door to sell. This could have been a 10 page thread with many reports of happy users with only some problems being reported from those finding the learning curve slow.
Bulletin: There is a new manual out dated Oct. 6th, which has much different info form the first manual.
http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownlo...

I will wait for this to become a non-beta product before buying one. I went thru this with the LX80. I also have a CGEM that I would like to use Starsense with. Great concept that looks very promising.

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6121124 - 10/06/13 06:55 PM

I don't think there is a new manual at the link mentioned. Watch the date were it says: "Modified". That will always be the current date from day to day, without any changes to the file. I compared the linked document page by page with the one released in 8-13. No difference.
The manual that comes with the product is dated the same 8-13 and contains identical information.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: scopenitout]
      #6121447 - 10/06/13 10:45 PM

The only other manual I had seen was for Celeston scopes that came with SSA, (lower end prodigy models?)

will1384

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: brokenwave]
      #6121600 - 10/07/13 12:51 AM

Tonight was the first time I tried the Celestron StarSense, it does not seem to be encouraging.

First problem: My battery was low, and went low even when attached to a battery maintainer, and battery was only a few months old, this is not related to the Celestron StarSense, but set the tone for the rest of the night.

The second problem: StarSense auto alignment is never able to do a successful alignment, even when it gets three images with 100 stars, and often during the auto alignment to just keeps pointing to the same area of the tree that is blocking it view,
Quote:

"If you have obstructions like buildings or trees, StarSense will skip them during the auto alignment procedure."

LOL not very well.

The third problem: StarSense manual alignment is never able to do a successful alignment, even when it gets many images with 100 stars.

To me it seems like it needs to see stars in very specific areas, not just any three open areas of the sky, if that is true, it may be useless to me, as I have a very limited view of the sky,
Quote:

"Equatorial mounts should be roughly polar aligned, but precise polar alignment is not required"

I cant even see Polaris except one little spot in my yard with a poor view of the sky, I did not use that spot tonight, and I just aimed the tripod and scope north.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: will1384]
      #6121970 - 10/07/13 09:36 AM

Quote:

The second problem: StarSense auto alignment is never able to do a successful alignment, even when it gets three images with 100 stars, and often during the auto alignment to just keeps pointing to the same area of the tree that is blocking it view,

Every time my StarSense has failed, it was operator error (e.g., my fault). I have just returned from the Staunton River Star Party and used the StarSense extensively to build pointing models and all-sky polar alignment. On Thursday evening, it was cloudy with only a few holes where the stars were seen. It took a little longer, but the StarSense solved successfully. I was using a SV115T20 with an Orion Starshoot III monochrome camera. I went from the extreme east to the west with the target within the image. For me, the StarSense works as advertised and well worth the price.

Caveat: It took me a while to understand and properly use the new hand controller. The scrolling and information provided was especially difficult after 3 years with a one-line hand controller. Also, I kept hiting enter instead of align when directed.

Regards,

Charlie B

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: will1384]
      #6122073 - 10/07/13 10:30 AM

Quote:

Tonight was the first time I tried the Celestron StarSense, it does not seem to be encouraging.

First problem: My battery was low, and went low even when attached to a battery maintainer, and battery was only a few months old, this is not related to the Celestron StarSense...

Maybe, but trying to run on a dying battery didn't help the StarSense, and because of that your results really don't say much. As for the battery? The secret to keeping one alive is charging for 12-hours after each use, and charging once a month if it is not used over the course of a month.

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics