Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | >> (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: milby]
      #6172729 - 11/02/13 10:34 PM

My SSA was working fine save the ASPA. It will not auto align tonight. After 6 attempts I did a manual align and calibrate center. Tried auto align still failure. Either it says alignment failed or hangs. Went to the standard 2+4 and am observing. The SSA is frustrating. Celestron needs to get on the ball or I know of one that is going back.

If one has to do a manual align and calibrate center every time just to get the same pointing accuracy as the standard controller, the SSA is rather pointless and expensive.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luismartinez

Reged: 09/17/08

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6172850 - 11/02/13 11:57 PM

I tried my second starsense unit tonight, after one return trip to the dealer. The dealer was helpful as always. Celestron should be ashamed for putting out such a buggy product. Quality control was asleep on this one. Only reason I got it was due to a stroke I have limited mobility and the gymnastics of manual alignment can be too much at times. If this works it will solve my problem, but highly recommend you stay away from it until they clear the bugs. Customers should not be used as beta testers.Don't buy.

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: luismartinez]
      #6173382 - 11/03/13 09:57 AM

Quote:

...Customers should not be used as beta testers....

This has always been my attitude as well. The SSA is a frustrating piece of junk. The problems are not going away with the patches supplied to date. If you must buy one, make sure you can return it for a full refund.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: scopenitout]
      #6173416 - 11/03/13 10:17 AM

I wonder how many are truly working trouble free if any? How long until a total recall? It is certainly a black eye for Celestron.

scopenitout

#6173455 - 11/03/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

I wonder how many are truly working trouble free if any? How long until a total recall? It is certainly a black eye for Celestron.

A very good question. The dealer that I bought mine from, told me they had sold 10 with no reports of problems. Considering what we read here and on Team Celestron, that is very puzzling. I still contend there is an electronically defective batch that escaped the factory. I'm just glad I purchased from a local, reputable dealer that had no problems when I asked for a refund.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6173601 - 11/03/13 11:52 AM

A couple weeks ago I called Celestron about my problems with my Starsense. They acted surprised and got the supervisor. I told them there were others with problems and they are just waiting on updates to fix it. They told me they fixed the only few problems the SS had with the first update when SS first came out, and they said that they knew of no other problems or others having problems.
I feel the telescope companies have been falling behind when it comes to modern technology and I have been writing them for several years to come up with these types of items. So I will keep waiting for them to fix the Starsense. And they will. But I'm under the impression that Celestrons upper management doesn't know there are any problems.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6173616 - 11/03/13 12:02 PM

I don't believe they don't know. Thave posted here on CN, and there is plenty of grumbling on teamcelestron. I can see how the dealers are unaware. I have never contacted my dealer. I will call Celestron to make sure they know there is a problem.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6173769 - 11/03/13 01:40 PM

I'm glad your going to call them, that does help. I believe the engineer is the one who reads our posts when he has spare time.
I wrote what I know then felt that some might think I'm bashing Celestron but I am not, I really do like Celestron products. So I rewrote it saying this. Celestron sold many SSA units all at one time and they collected $329. from each of us. Some units worked some did not. I feel it's their responsibility to have their engineering dept. working on it full time until it's working correctly for everyone. And until it's finished, including the ASPA and IC catalog. Not working on non SS business unable to get to work on SS problems except during spare time.
This is why I'm thinking upper management doesn't know. Their the ones who assign what the engineer works on and when.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6173788 - 11/03/13 01:49 PM

http://www.getresponse.com/archive/khanscope/The-New-Celestron-Starsense-Auto...

"The Star Sense accessory was scheduled to ship at the end of July, however Celestron engineers have determined
it is not quite ready, and some final fine tuning and tweaking is neccessary.

While we know that folks are anxious to get their hands on this accessory, Celestron wants to ensure the product
works 100% when they ship it.

Unlike some other companies, who let you be the beta tester for their products then fix the problem afterwards
(and no, I didn't mention Microsoft®), they want to ensure it's working properly out the door."

Can't stop laughing at this part!

neilson
professor emeritus

#6173845 - 11/03/13 02:22 PM

You got me laughing too.
And to think, Its November and it's still not done.

Neilson

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6174008 - 11/03/13 04:06 PM

It's a sign of the times.

Not nearly enough care and attention paid.
Puts me right off Celestron products....although my CGE PRO works great for 3-4 years now....and I do love my Edge 8".

Won't buy SS .....
Until it works perfect with the CGE PRO and ASPA.

scopenitout

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6174187 - 11/03/13 06:02 PM

It's a **real** stretch for Celestron to say they don't know about any SSA problems. If that is the case, they must also be unaware of what one of their engineers has been doing to earn a paycheck.

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
      #6175316 - 11/04/13 12:04 PM

Starsense seems to work as it should with ALL the Celestron SkyProdigy telescopes (no problems reported AFAIK)...

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: beammeup]
      #6175408 - 11/04/13 12:57 PM

Another good question would be,how many out there are working as advertised?? You count the people on this link that have problems compared to how many have been sold, Then what are there these problems with this "certain number" of users. Are they a group that got a certain batch number off production line?
As to how many have been sold (even an estimate) would be good to know..... Just hope is not top secret like obamacare enrollers and exceeds the stellar numbers of 6 sold LOL.. It would be good to know the percentage that are having issues,, are the cameras serialized?? or a production number on them anywhere? Then again it would be a good thing for Celestron to give some percentage sold vs issues numbers.. Just to be clear, I am not dogging Celestron, just would be good to get some numbers.. Kasey

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6175574 - 11/04/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Another good question would be,how many out there are working as advertised?? You count the people on this link that have problems compared to how many have been sold, Then what are there these problems with this "certain number" of users. Are they a group that got a certain batch number off production line?
As to how many have been sold (even an estimate) would be good to know..... Just hope is not top secret like obamacare enrollers and exceeds the stellar numbers of 6 sold LOL.. It would be good to know the percentage that are having issues,, are the cameras serialized?? or a production number on them anywhere? Then again it would be a good thing for Celestron to give some percentage sold vs issues numbers.. Just to be clear, I am not dogging Celestron, just would be good to get some numbers.. Kasey

I agree with Kasey. Mine works fine on my Nexstar 8SE. Perhaps the numbers of reported problems are low enough that they aren't too concerned, not that that is acceptable. Every customer ought to count but that never seems to be the business philosophy of any company in 2013 !

It would be good to get some numbers since this seems to be the only Starsense thread anywhere. Hate to see potential buyers who could really use it and enjoy it (like me), turned off by the negative comments here. Maybe it is specific mounts?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6175623 - 11/04/13 02:35 PM

The only group that seems well served are the SE. There are a few posting that the SSA will work on the SE but the same unit will not work with a GEM. Seems to be a scramble to fix them on teamcelestron. I would think if the majority worked they would be a little more hesitant with with wholesale updates.

scopenitout

#6175676 - 11/04/13 03:01 PM

I guess I should have tried the SSA (before I returned it) on my C-6se. But then, that little guy is so easy and fast to align why would I need SSA? It seems to be true; the SSA/SE users are not the ones complaining.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #6175763 - 11/04/13 03:52 PM

The issues seem to be with GEMs. It works just fine with alt-az mounts.

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Sorny]
      #6176003 - 11/04/13 06:17 PM

May be worth pointing out that one poster to this thread has posted 56 separate times, and another poster has posted 75 separate times.
At roughly 15 messages per page, that means around 9 or 10 of these 38 pages are basically the same two users saying that StarSense doesn't work on their mount.

Perspective.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: silverking]
      #6176030 - 11/04/13 06:36 PM

Saw the same pattern with the LX80 threads, too much noise from a small number of people.
I am sure Celestron will sort out the problems and make this work.
Derik should be back from vacation, so there should be movement with these issues again.

Pages: << 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | >> (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58634

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics