Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6197544 - 11/16/13 01:14 AM

Mark

I was reading on TC that your not the only one with those consistent offsets. Being able to tweak those camera cal. numbers would be nice. My main problem is the further south you go the worse it gets. By the time I get to Fomalhaut it's over half way to the edge in my finderscope.

Oh by the way, you sure were right about that ASPA being bad. Tonight I tested mine better. I did 9 ASPA alignments and this time only 3 were good. I'll stick to drift alignments until it's fixed.

I think things like your SSA hang ups should get priority. To me not being able to use automatic alignment kind of makes it unusable. I would think there will be a fix for it in the next update.

Thanks for your help,
Neilson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sbtampa
journeyman

Reged: 11/07/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
      #6204125 - 11/19/13 04:33 PM

SO...to the people that have used the Celestron StarSense ....is it worth it? Would you recommend buying one?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: sbtampa]
      #6204133 - 11/19/13 04:38 PM

Not at the present. It has a lot of potential however. Some are reporting good success, but from the chatter from Celestron, they are in the minority especially if they are using a GEM. The released update helps some but for the SSA to be worth the price of admission, imho, it should work perfect every time barring user error.

In all fairness if you have trouble aligning or it takes you an inordinate amount of time with the standard HC then the Starsense, even it's present form, could be worth it. I find I mainly only use it to test the SSA. If I am going to observe with my mallincam I just use the standard hc.

Edited by Stew57 (11/19/13 06:17 PM)

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
      #6204274 - 11/19/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

SO...to the people that have used the Celestron StarSense ....is it worth it?

For me it is. I have eyepieces that cost more that I use less.

Regards,

Charlie B

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #6204327 - 11/19/13 06:23 PM

Quote:

SO...to the people that have used the Celestron StarSense ....is it worth it? Would you recommend buying one?

When it works, it's an awesome time saver. Though recent firmwares, may take 3-5 tries to get it past locking up during auto calibration, which pretty much kills the time saving. I just wheel out of my garage, my C14/CGEM DX that's all set up, click the button and in 3 minutes (theoretically) it's good to go. It's got great potential once they get the bugs out. I'd suggest not being too much in a hurry to get one right now.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #6204486 - 11/19/13 07:42 PM

Anyone having trouble with NGC7293? The SSA controller won't let me input the Helix. Slew limits are 90 and 0 though that shouldn't make a difference at my location/time.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#6204563 - 11/19/13 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yes if you have an alt/az mount or put in the updates and don't care about ASPA for AP for now.

Edited by dr.who (11/19/13 08:25 PM)

MadSci

Reged: 09/30/12

Loc: Washington DC Suburbs
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6205903 - 11/20/13 03:06 PM

Well I had the Controller on my NexStar 8se go completely nuts after about 6 months of non-ruamatic use. It needed to be re-flashed to get it working. From my research at the time this isn't an uncommon problem. It seems to be related to power issues, chiefly low voltages, which corrupt the Firmware. Obviously the hardware isn't very resilient to this well-known and common problem. Worth noting if you are going far afield one night...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: MadSci]
      #6206164 - 11/20/13 05:48 PM

I carry a spare HC with me, but I've never had this problem in nearly a dozen years of using the NexStar HC.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6206170 - 11/20/13 05:54 PM

A factory reset at times but never a re-flash.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #6206177 - 11/20/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

For me, unequivocally, yes. I could not wait to get one and I have it installed on my NexStar 8SE, which is an alt az mount. I am up and running in the advertised 3 minutes and don't even have to touch the hand control once it starts. For me, it is well worth the money. I've struggled with the frustrations of polar alignment, crawling around on my hands and knees trying to see through the damned polar alignment scope, getting nowhere. So, I went to the simplicity of an alt az, NexStar and mounted the StarSense as soon as it was available. Now, I'm out there much more often, slewing around and showing off the sky to family and friends. Like they say:

8" Schmidt-Cassegrain: $1200. StarSense Alignment Accessory, $329. Getting the chance to show friends and family Saturn and the Messier Objects... priceless.

Edited by munchmeister (11/20/13 06:01 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6206221 - 11/20/13 06:27 PM

Do you mean finder scope or polar scope? Is the SE on a wedge? I didn't know an SE had to be polar aligned.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #6206675 - 11/20/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

Do you mean finder scope or polar scope? Is the SE on a wedge? I didn't know an SE had to be polar aligned.

My struggles were with a GEM, and it's polar alignment scope. Sorry if I was not clear. The 8SE is very easy to use and, of course, requires no polar alignment. With the StarSense on it, alignment is, in essence, automatic. Traditional alignment with a GEM, on the other hand, is a chore, IMHO.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6206679 - 11/20/13 11:08 PM

OK makes sense. BTW I can't believe how dark your skies are. I stayed at my brother-in-law's in Fort Collins and was jealous of the dark skies there.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6206793 - 11/21/13 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For me, unequivocally, yes. I could not wait to get one and I have it installed on my NexStar 8SE, which is an alt az mount. I am up and running in the advertised 3 minutes and don't even have to touch the hand control once it starts. For me, it is well worth the money. I've struggled with the frustrations of polar alignment, crawling around on my hands and knees trying to see through the damned polar alignment scope, getting nowhere. So, I went to the simplicity of an alt az, NexStar and mounted the StarSense as soon as it was available. Now, I'm out there much more often, slewing around and showing off the sky to family and friends. Like they say:

8" Schmidt-Cassegrain: $1200. StarSense Alignment Accessory, $329. Getting the chance to show friends and family Saturn and the Messier Objects... priceless.

Not to be picky, but you need StarSense to find Saturn???

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #6206879 - 11/21/13 02:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really? It isn't enough that you smear fan boy goo over every thread that Mentions Meade so you have to come into Celestron threads and poke fun at people? Starsense isn't for helping people find things they otherwise couldn't find. Starsense is simply an alignment aid with a lot of room to grow. At least Celestron is actually working on their products and improving them.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Pak]
      #6206882 - 11/21/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really? It isn't enough that you smear fan boy goo over every thread that Mentions Meade so you have to come into Celestron threads and poke fun at people? Starsense isn't for helping people find things they otherwise couldn't find. Starsense is simply an alignment aid with a lot of room to grow. At least Celestron is actually working on their products and improving them.

Pak,

What is your point?

BTW - I like looking at Saturn. And Jupiter. And….

Yes, I agree all telescope manufacturers are working on and improving their products.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#6207032 - 11/21/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheap Shot...

Totally uncalled for....

apology reccomended...

Edited by gaz-in (11/21/13 07:33 AM)

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#6207038 - 11/21/13 07:38 AM

Quote:

I think so...I enjoy using it.....certainly can (and do) align in other ways so IMHO it is not a critical piece of gear...I just find it fun to use...and I do use my telescope more with it....plus, given the color scheme, it looks darn nice on my NS8GPS!

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: gaz-in]
      #6207179 - 11/21/13 09:24 AM

+1 to gaz-in.
Kasey

Pages: << 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | >> (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58616

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics