Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6231911 - 12/03/13 06:18 PM

Quote:

My CGE classic is having good goto's when pointing towards the north but when I try goto's towards the south half of the sky they are poor. About 24 arc minutes off, just outside my 40mm eyepiece on an Edge 9.25. I have been doing testing given to me by Team Celestron who's working on
the problem. A few of the CGE classics (not Pro) have different chips and are having some problems and they are working on them. If you have this problem let me or Team Celestron know about it.

Neilson

Jeez...what a mess.
Sometimes it works on some mounts in some parts of the sky.
Sometimes it doesn't work on some mounts in any part of the sky.

I mean...only an astronomy product could be so utterly, so pathetically unreliable out of its box.

Imagine if a car worked like this, or a lawnmower, or a computer, or a microwave oven, or a zipper on a coat, or a pressurised water hose...or any product you care to mention...

Go on.....some bright spark ...name me one product that is as unpredictable as this chinese made disappointment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6231957 - 12/03/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Go on.....some bright spark ...name me one product that is as unpredictable as this chinese made disappointment.

Windows ME.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6232138 - 12/03/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

I have mounted my SSA on the mount itself to avoid that problem.

Any chance you either posted a photo of this and would be up for providing a link (boy am I lazy! ) or would be willing to post a photo? I ask because that's a damn skippy idea and I would love to blatantly steal it from you but want to see how you did it first...

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6232253 - 12/03/13 09:30 PM

Here are some pics. Just done as a quick prototype. If the SSA gets updated with better reliability and ASPA I will do a better job.

http://s906.photobucket.com/user/mstew57/library/SSA%20mounter%20to%20CGEM?so...

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6244463 - 12/10/13 10:38 AM

I don't know if anyone has read that they are going to be working on the southern hemisphere issue before they fix the ASPA. I think the reason why is obvious.
They have so many things backlogged in that dept. I think they should hire some help to get caught up. I'm sure these problems are costing them in sales.

In the mean time I recommend using the NexStar controller and doing an ASPA. Then carefully mark the ground so next time you know where to put the tripod legs. This should start you out polar aligned pretty good if you do it right. Once you do this you wont have to start out with the Nexstar controller anymore. And it will make the wait for the ASPA fix easier.

neilson

pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

#6245413 - 12/10/13 06:16 PM

bought the star sense a few weeks ago. While at the oPT parking lot, I updated the firmware of everythins using a laptop and a MiFi.I wanted to make sure that everything was functional before I drove back home. That night I mounted the ssa on my scope with the rail facing backwards. I did this to improve balancing on my scope because I was afraid that the diagonal would crash into the base when doing an auto alignment.the back edge of the rail is right up against the edge of the mounting arm where the rail slide through.

I did notice issues with just using the internal batteries of the 8SE. the rechargeables were running very low, some of them were completely dead, and the star sense started doing eratic things. I plug in my goal zero into the days and its behaved normally after that.

I took it outside and. Mounted everything without doing any of the dreaded levelling. the first alignment failed. I only have a 45 degree view of the sky in each direction. The obstructions are buildings.

it failed because two of the plate matches we're when the telescope was pointed directly at the building. When the telescope did another autoalign, at the open sky, the alignment worked great.

some of the miss you objects we're missing from selections in the controller. It would just skip over that number.

I haven't had a chance to use it again. I will report in next time I use it to see if there are more issues. sorry for the funny looking sentences, the mobile device editing isn't working very well.

pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Pak]
      #6250013 - 12/12/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

Starsense isn't for helping people find things they otherwise couldn't find. Starsense is simply an alignment aid with a lot of room to grow.

I agree. I learned the freeways and roads by driving them. I also have a gps, and I always get the stupid comment of "don't you know your way around"? Yeah, I just like billion dollar google hardware planning the fastest route to get somewhere. Same thing with starsense and android astronomy app. I learned so much more by being able to see the object in the phone, then looking through the eyepiece and really realizing what I was looking at.

Finding Saturn, and having your scope stay put on it so that you don't have to readjust your scope every 2 people that look through makes it more enjoyable. Having starsense and not having some idiot kick your tripod and having to spend 30 minute realigning and leveling is worth it.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: pcguru2000]
      #6250561 - 12/13/13 09:55 AM

My SS just arrived last night (to be used on my CGEM)... I had been trying out an R/C 6 on my CG-5 ASGT, and just upgraded handsets I had to the new V 1.7.3. I wanted to see what the new SS handset was and when plugged it could see it was totally different, turned mount off and that was that...
I set the SS camera on my CGEM and had instruction manual with me and powered it up,,, heres the ??? After it went thru initial start-up it showed me an ASGT and I think 2 unkwn mounts and was this my only mount or something like that.. I could find nothing like that prompt in either manual that came with it or one just downloaded from the web page... so kind of blew past that. After testing it out no matter how many times I powered it up and down I never saw the prompt for selection which mount I am using.... I never did see the prompt again for ASGT and 2 slots for UNKNOWN that I had on that initial start up. Does it think its on a CG-5 ASGT now instead of a CGEM? I have not tried it back in the CG-5 to see if get any mount prompt, but am curious if some of the other SS handsets started out with that prompt?? Thank you, Kasey
PS, has anyone tried a dew heater on the camera?

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6250926 - 12/13/13 01:27 PM

Quote:

PS, has anyone tried a dew heater on the camera?

Before and after calibration, you can put the lens cap on. No need for a dew heater.

Regarding the other question, I don't recall seeing the a prompt for the mount, though I may have also forgotten. Plese post back if you encounter issues with lockup during auto-calibration after second or third acquisition. It seems to be a common issue with SSA and CGEMs.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #6252428 - 12/14/13 10:47 AM

Two questions (am away from mount and camera)
1) Has anyone tried to use Sky Safari with SS yet?
2) Has anyone tried a Restore Defaults to start fresh? And if so, does it take it back to where you have to reenter everything, like just out of the box?
Thank you, Kasey

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6253020 - 12/14/13 04:57 PM

Hi Kasey,

Great to hear your SSA has arrived. Enjoy. Mine works very well on one of my mounts, not so well on the other two yet, but they are fixing glitches all the time and will I'm sure get things working.

A recentish SSA firmware change means that you can save SSA's settings for multiple mounts and then it detects when you move to a different mount and asks if you want to load the saved profile for that mount. I suspect they had tested your SSA in QC on a different mount model than yours so it sensed the change of mount, and was asking if you wanted to set up a profile for your mount within the SSA HC, or something along those lines anyway. Somewhere in the HC menus you can access all the saved profiles, load them, and edit, delete and save them. Have a good browse through all the menu branches and youll find it and probably other features that aren't in the manual too.

Skysafari works on my mounts with the SSA, initiating gotos correctly and locking to the alignment of the SSA/mount. It doesn't seem yet to pass dt, tm and locn to the SSA at align time as it does with my Nexstar and Nexstar+ HCs, but once connected and ligneed the gotos from Skysafari work fine for me with SSA. I'm using the android version of sky safari with a bluetooth interface to the SSA HC.

I've done a reset of my SSA and it resets a lot of settings, but only for the mount profile you have it on at the time. So saved settings for other mounts/profiles (you might as an example want two saved profiles for the same mount with 2 different OTAS) aren't reset. There is a way to do a full "back to factory settings" reset of all the profiles in your SSA, using certain button pushes. You can find that info in threads in team celestron or ask Derik there about how to do it.

Cheers,
Chris M

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6253431 - 12/14/13 09:05 PM

Hey Chris,
I was able to check some stuff on it for a bit today and it says is on a CGEM. I never did find tracking like EQ North or South like the N/S + handset. Tracking rate said disabled and RA ONLY..... Guees this is a whole new breed... Can't wait to really get to try it, but is like when you get a new toy, weather and free time just don't cooperate. thank you for your time and brain trust. Kasey

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6253491 - 12/14/13 09:37 PM

Hi Kasey.

Yep, the menus are very different in the hand control, and some menu items aren't documented in the manual yet, and there is no menu tree diagram in the manual either, so there's a bit of detective work for users to do on their own to work it all out so far. I imagine they will at some stage catch the manual up with the changes in the firmware releases.

It doesn't need the old Eq North etc options if you have an Eq mount as it knows the mount type and knows which hemisphere you are in, so just needs to ask you what tracking speed you want once the align is done.

Good luck with it. As I say mine works very well on my AVX (although not ASPA yet I don't think) with the latest released firmwares, but not well yet on my CG-5 or SE here in the southern hemisphere. I think northern SE mount users mostly have the SSA aligning well though.

I'm working pretty closely with the Celestron engineers to help them get some of the outstanding problems that affect my mounts solved.

Cheers,
Chris M

Chris M

drbruce1
journeyman

Reged: 12/09/12

Loc: AZ
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6254144 - 12/15/13 10:23 AM

I just purchased the StarSense and I have had the same problems you had. I called Celestron, they made suggestions but so far this has not corrected the problem. The device does not work as stated by Celestron.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: drbruce1]
      #6257319 - 12/16/13 11:37 PM

I'm still having a lot of problems with mine. Besides the poor goto's in the south half of the sky, My alignments are very inconsistent. Each night I have to do a number of alignments just to get a usable one. I hooked up to Starry Nights and it connects good and the goto's work but I want to image and I need to get my object on the DSLR chip and hopefully near the center but the up, down, left, right keys on Starry nights dont work correctly. left might go left, then hit it again and it goes right then hit it again and it moves left then moves right back where it started. I'm not the only one reporting that problem and on other programs. So Starsense needs to be getting more accurate consistent goto's like the Nexstar does.

I'm having another problem. During alignments the first alignment point images, gets 100 stars but the second one images but doesn't say too few stars or 100 stars or solved or anything it just says imaging, then pauses then says acquiring another point or something like that, and goes to the east side, images, gets 100 stars, solved then goes back to the west side and images 100 stars, solved then back to the east side to image 100 stars. Then sometimes it fails the alignment and sometimes it passes the alignment. In fact it rarely does the normal 2 points on the west then 2 points on the east side type alignment. Too many alignments fail or are not so good. This has happened dozens of times. I don't know if anyone is having these back and forth type alignment problems. part of them fail and some pass.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6257398 - 12/17/13 12:55 AM

I saw the data you posted on TC. It looks like a manual align is getting a pointing accuracy of +-2 arc minutes which is really as good as one can expect. For a lot of us GEM users an auto align does not work. I know you don't want to hear this but the only solution at this time is to use manual align, or return the unit and use your original HC. It seems southern hemisphere fix is first in line. Next is ASPA, with auto align falling somewhere after that. The SSA is not for unattended nor remote operation at this time. A lucky few (counted on one hand) report success in this area with a GEM, but evidently you and I are not among them. I have decided to wait it out awhile as I am quite curious about what makes it work one time and fail the next.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6257675 - 12/17/13 08:50 AM

I agree with you and your correct about this is not what I want to hear. And that 2 arcminutes takes about 20 to 30 minutes of doing the alignment over and over and recalibrating the camera a couple times. I have been waiting it out for a while I just don't like Celestron's policy concerning their priorities. Their interested in getting the southern hemisphere working first so they can start selling them there and benefit from another boost in sales instead of getting everything working correctly first. I know it's not the engineers fault because they are given priorities from the upper management. But I kind of think the upper management is in the dark on all the problems going on. I also notice they are always busy on other projects, What other projects? If their too busy maybe they should hire another person, even if it's temporary.
My Starsense is unusable to me like this. I expected to be using this last March when it was supposed to come out, my unit is even one of those March units, but they had problems. They have been trying to get it fixed since then. Am I going to have to wait another 9 months or longer?

I'm happy for those who got one that works great. You are very fortunate that your not having to go through all these problems. And don't expect to get any help from Team Celestron. I have done over 100 alignments in the past month testing my mount. I was under the impression they were going to do something to help me several times. But besides all the wear and tear on my mount they have done absolutely nothing to help me except tell me to put what is needed to fix the southern goto problem on the Feature Requests list. What about all the other problems it's having. I'm glad to see more people are reporting their problems instead of waiting quietly. And there's even some with worse problems than I'm having. Come on Celestron, you have a responsibility to those of us who already paid you $329. first.

I got my wireless imaging setup up and working great except The SSA is unusable unless I'm at the mount redoing alignments and adding cal. points re calibrating the camera and recentering goto's. so I'll have to stick with Nexstar for now. 5 minutes doing a 2+4 alignment and pretty much dead on goto's all over the sky.

Neilson

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
      #6257888 - 12/17/13 10:49 AM

Even though my SSA was returned for a refund weeks ago, I still like to visit this thread to monitor what is being done to fix it. Not much it seems.
In the meantime, I have started to experiment with Astrotortilla. So far this looks to answer the call for fast and very accurate alignments. Something my SSA could not deliver. Looking back, I question why I ever wasted my time with SSA, especially considering I already had a dslr camera connected for imaging. Integrated with BYEos (Premium Ed.), Astrotortilla is proving to be a very useful and reliable tool.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: scopenitout]
      #6257987 - 12/17/13 11:50 AM

are you always tied to a computer with astrotila? I have seen some stuff on it and people seem to like it. Kasey

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
      #6258238 - 12/17/13 02:10 PM

Kasey,
Yes, you need a computer (laptop in my case). The index (image) files that Astrotortilla uses for blind plate solving are stored on the hard drive. I need a computer to image anyway, so why not use AT to get the alignments over and done with? Especially nice for those of us who have to set up and take down every session.

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58616

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics