Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)
king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: jag767]
      #6315560 - 01/15/14 10:38 PM

Thanks for the tip! It wont let me download the beta becuase I am not a member of the group and need an invite. Also i cant seem to fin it on celestrons site. The firmware manager says I'm up to date though

That's strange. I just went to the website and registered. No problems. I intend to download the latest update tomorrow. I didn't need an invite. I suggest looking at the website again and see if you can find where to register.

Don

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: king1522]
      #6315663 - 01/15/14 11:47 PM

To be a "beta tester" you need an invite but to be a "public beta tester" you just need to register and there's somewhere you select to request to be a public beta tester. Then you have to wait to be approved, It just takes a day or so.

Neilson

jag767
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6315872 - 01/16/14 05:27 AM

Ok i did all that just waiting to be approved. I am assuming the file for alt az will work with the skyprodigy as well? I mean if it works for the se mount i dont see why not but just checking.

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6315875 - 01/16/14 05:47 AM

Hi jag,

Are you looking for firmware for a Skyprodigy or a Starsense Accessory? I think Neilson and others here might have assumed you were after the Starsense Accessory firmware, which is different from the Skyprodigy firmware, hence some people talking of not having the ability to adjust for different moon brigntness levels etc, as that isn't in the Starsense Accessory firmware, only in the SkyProdigy firmware.

My understanding is that since release there have been no new Skyprodigy firmware releases as yet, but I think we have recently been told there is a new version of the Skyprodigy firmware due to come out soon in beta in team celestron. It isn't there just yet though, so there may be no urgency in you getting approved there if it is Skyprodigy firmware you are after. All the recent Starsense firmware releases in team celestron have been for the Starsense Accessory, not for the Skyprodigy mounts as far as I know, and the two products have their own separate and different firmwares.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Ok i did all that just waiting to be approved. I am assuming the file for alt az will work with the skyprodigy as well? I mean if it works for the se mount i dont see why not but just checking.

jag767
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6315892 - 01/16/14 06:18 AM

Quote:

Hi jag,

Are you looking for firmware for a Skyprodigy or a Starsense Accessory? I think Neilson and others here might have assumed you were after the Starsense Accessory firmware, which is different from the Skyprodigy firmware, hence some people talking of not having the ability to adjust for different moon brigntness levels etc, as that isn't in the Starsense Accessory firmware, only in the SkyProdigy firmware.

My understanding is that since release there have been no new Skyprodigy firmware releases as yet, but I think we have recently been told there is a new version of the Skyprodigy firmware due to come out soon in beta in team celestron. It isn't there just yet though, so there may be no urgency in you getting approved there if it is Skyprodigy firmware you are after. All the recent Starsense firmware releases in team celestron have been for the Starsense Accessory, not for the Skyprodigy mounts as far as I know, and the two products have their own separate and different firmwares.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Thanks Chris, and yes it is a skyprodigy not starsense. I think i mentioned it but yes i chose to go that route especially since i paid almost a third of the starsense pricetag for the skyprodigy in excellent condition. Besides, this is being used for my 65mm triplet grab and go, theres really no need for the higher payload of my cg5, and the cg5 tripod married to this head is really outstanding. I had dabbled with another skyprodigy about a year ago which worked perfectly, and i am fairly certain the light sources are what troubled my alignment. Tonight looks to be promising so i will dabble a little further. And suggestions on what to set the gain and exposure time to manually would be helpful, as the moon setting did not do it. I will wait patiently for the correct update for my setup.

Thanks!

pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

#6317466 - 01/16/14 09:40 PM

Quote:

I'm still having a lot of problems with mine. Besides the poor goto's in the south half of the sky, My alignments are very inconsistent. Each night I have to do a number of alignments just to get a usable one. I hooked up to Starry Nights and it connects good and the goto's work but I want to image and I need to get my object on the DSLR chip and hopefully near the center but the up, down, left, right keys on Starry nights dont work correctly. left might go left, then hit it again and it goes right then hit it again and it moves left then moves right back where it started. I'm not the only one reporting that problem and on other programs. So Starsense needs to be getting more accurate consistent goto's like the Nexstar does.

I'm having another problem. During alignments the first alignment point images, gets 100 stars but the second one images but doesn't say too few stars or 100 stars or solved or anything it just says imaging, then pauses then says acquiring another point or something like that, and goes to the east side, images, gets 100 stars, solved then goes back to the west side and images 100 stars, solved then back to the east side to image 100 stars. Then sometimes it fails the alignment and sometimes it passes the alignment. In fact it rarely does the normal 2 points on the west then 2 points on the east side type alignment. Too many alignments fail or are not so good. This has happened dozens of times. I don't know if anyone is having these back and forth type alignment problems. part of them fail and some pass.

Neilson

When it says 100 stars, in my experience, that's a false detection. My says that when it points at the house wall, or a tree, or a street light.

Also, the planet modeling is slightly off. My star goto's are spot on, but planets are a little off (as far as jupiter and venus).

One thing that helps is to rotate my mount 90 degrees if it keeps trying alignment snapshots at walls or trees over and over. Rotating the mount 90 degrees, and shutting off-on the power, then retrying the alignment helps.

I've not had this issue in a completely unobstructed field. Good luck with this!

Be sure to go to team celestron, and download the latest firmware for the hand controller and the camera. That might help you.

pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6317491 - 01/16/14 09:57 PM

Quote:

Just a heads up to anyone using latest upgrade. The year will fault to 2012 everytime you power it up and will need to be reset to 2013. Its a glitch they are aware of, Kasey

It's been fixed.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: pcguru2000]
      #6317605 - 01/16/14 11:00 PM

PCguru2000,
I live in a dark unobstructed area and have a GEM mount that's polar aligned, balanced and level. If I had walls and trees blocking or lots of light pollution or was placing my mount wrong I would expect some difficulty but that's not the case. I do have the latest beta firmware and my mounts problems are documented well on Team Celestron. Derik has been trying to help me the past few days with my problem of the second alignment point. I thought he had it fixed yesterday, but the problem came back tonight.

I have most of my CGE mounts problems posted on Team Celestron Starsense thread called "Poor goto's in the Southern Half of the sky". I have done alot of tests they gave me and I hope they will give me some kind of fix for all these problems soon. It sure would pick up my spirits.
And make me feel better about all the money I have spent this past year switching to a Celestron setup just so I could use the new Starsense they announced last January.

Neilson

jag767
professor emeritus

#6321741 - 01/19/14 07:54 AM

So last night we tried a skyprodigy mount a friend has which works just fine, then tried to align mine under the same conditions. No good. I considered a few different ways to handle this, but ultimately found a solution which lands me a brand new mount and controller. I should get it no later than wednesday,fingers crossed this one works

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
      #6326012 - 01/21/14 12:11 PM

Did they fix the ASPA for CGEM mounts yet. Its hard to do an alignment with my setup because the dome gets in the way but I can do ASPA just fine.

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Magellan]
      #6326636 - 01/21/14 05:45 PM

Hi Magellan.

ASPA on the SSA is apparently not working on any Eq mounts (nor on any alt-az mounts with wedges), not just the CGEM, and no they haven't fixed it yet.

Celestron have though said that ASPA is the next major item on their SSA fix list once they have finished fixing the Southern hemisphere problems they are currently working on, so hopefully it won't be too far away now.

Cheers,
Chris M.

Quote:

Did they fix the ASPA for CGEM mounts yet. Its hard to do an alignment with my setup because the dome gets in the way but I can do ASPA just fine.

Tim S

Reged: 11/23/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6365818 - 02/09/14 11:01 AM

Isn't it supposed to be capable of a firmware update?

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Tim S]
      #6366150 - 02/09/14 01:43 PM

Hi Tim,

I'm not quite sure what post here you are replying to as you didn't quote another post, but assuming you mean the SSA, yes it is capable of having the firmware for the HC and separately the firmware for the camera updated. I have successfully updated both firmwares on my SSA a number of times.

You can download the latest public release of the firmwares from the main Celestron website, or at some times you might be able to get a more recent public beta release version from the "Team Celestron" beta testing website.

Cheers,
Chris M

Quote:

Isn't it supposed to be capable of a firmware update?

CHAPSKINS

Reged: 11/27/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Pak]
      #6366403 - 02/09/14 03:46 PM

Quote:

Not really sure what Celestron is doing. You would think this would be a top priority and they would dedicate the resources to squash the bugs. More than that though, what the heck happened that force them to send them off to retail stores before they were ready? What was with the early beta testers that let these things slip by?

Two interesting accessories that makes their mounts fun and easy to use are the SkyQ link and the Starsense camera. If you have an AVX, which I assume is their biggest selling mount, the SkyQ accessory doesn't even work.

I am so disappointed in Celestron right now.

Hell knows what Celestron are up to with SkyQ. It's just been ditched so it seems to me. The reason they give about iTunes being at fault seems highly suspicious to me. The were problems with the App Store some time back corrupting uploaded Apps, but that's been ages ago. The problems with SkyQ happened as soon as Celestron released the last update, it makes the Application unusable as the align buttons become unresponsive.

I remember reading a post where one of the guys at Celestron said the bloke working on SkyQ is in a bad place at the backend of last year; whatever that means - slightly cryptic. I've contacted Celestron many times about updates for their application, all I get back is the same response,"we're working on it"...6 months on...

It would be nice to have SkyQ working as the idea is very forward thinking. I absolutely loathe using a hand controller, being wireless is so much better.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: CHAPSKINS]
      #6366573 - 02/09/14 04:50 PM

Chapskins....or anyone

Do you know if the skyq dongle plugged into a cge pro mount will work fine with nexremote?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: CHAPSKINS]
      #6366656 - 02/09/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

Hell knows what Celestron are up to with SkyQ. It's just been ditched so it seems to me. The reason they give about iTunes being at fault seems highly suspicious to me. The were problems with the App Store some time back corrupting uploaded Apps, but that's been ages ago. The problems with SkyQ happened as soon as Celestron released the last update, it makes the Application unusable as the align buttons become unresponsive.

I remember reading a post where one of the guys at Celestron said the bloke working on SkyQ is in a bad place at the backend of last year; whatever that means - slightly cryptic. I've contacted Celestron many times about updates for their application, all I get back is the same response,"we're working on it"...6 months on...

It would be nice to have SkyQ working as the idea is very forward thinking. I absolutely loathe using a hand controller, being wireless is so much better.

I purchased a SkyQ Link. I was pretty sure the app wouldn't work with my VX, since I'd heard it had problems with GEMs. No, I bought it to use with NexRemote. Since the VX was listed as compatible with the Link, I figured that at least would work. I wanted to do this since I don't like to run NexRemote through the hardware HC. That's just one more piece of gear to lug around. Celestron in their wisdom did not put a PC Port on their new Aux Port Accessory, and the old one will not work with the VX.

Nope. The laptop will connect to the SkyQ Link, but NexRemote just won't recognize it. This does work with the CG5.

So...the thing doesn't work in any shape, form, or fashion with my VX. I got a couple of emails from Celestron indicating they were working on the problems...but alas, I have my doubts. Though I will be happy to be proven wrong.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6366848 - 02/09/14 06:37 PM

Rod

Any idea if the above works with a cge pro?

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6367455 - 02/10/14 12:00 AM

I was also considering a SkyQ link but I don't think it's worth the risk to see if it's going to works for me. I have a Meade LX200GPS10" and bought a wireless controller for it several years ago, and it works great. I think all these telescope companies should advance into the modern times and go wireless. Everything else you buy has had wireless remotes for many years. The Starsense HC should have been wireless, even it's camera could have been wireless.

I'm not buying anything else from them that requires me to be a beta tester. I have been waiting for 6 months for them to fix my Starsense for my CGE mount. They are so far behind getting things working correctly for everyone, Celestron I think it would be smart if you hired another experienced programmer to help out because the ones you have seem overwhelmed.
When Celestron's next item comes out, I'm worried that the Starsense updates will be put on the back burner, if they haven't been already.

Neilson

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6367564 - 02/10/14 01:55 AM

Very poor.

Releasing product that plainly does not work.

Only in the astro world.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6368008 - 02/10/14 10:25 AM

Quote:

Rod

Any idea if the above works with a cge pro?

Bit off topic but...

Rod

Hope your lip is healing nicely..sounded like a nasty fall.

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58961

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics