Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)
JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6554527 - 05/30/14 09:26 PM

Agreed, I don't want to hijack the thread either. Plus, there is a huge price differential between the two systems so it really isn't apples and oranges.

Yes, let me know when your testing is done.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JeffBosworth

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6555069 - 05/31/14 09:07 AM

Quote:

Kasey,

I sure wish my SSA could see stars as early as yours does. I usually can do a 2+4 and ASPA before my SSA can see any stars. I've had 2 units and both of them couldn't see stars until it's dark and I can see hundreds of them myself.

Neilson

My SSA is very sensitive and will pick up stars I cannot see yet. I've been very impressed with that.

On another note, Someone mentioned that the guy who writes Celestron's ASCOM drivers (Chris Hall?) has created an ASPA helper app for the SSA and put it on TeamCelestron. Not sure that's where it is. Has anyone found it who can give us directions to its location?

Thanks!

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6555308 - 05/31/14 11:26 AM

Hi Jeff,
Thanks, I was hoping to see if there were others whose SSA had better cameras and were able to do an alignment before you could even see stars. I'm glad to see there are. I wonder if I sent mine in to Celestron if they could adjust my camera for me. Last night I timed mine and after repeated attempts it finally saw stars at 9:13 and sunset was at 8:26. At that time(9:13) I looked straight up and could see hundreds of stars myself.
Jeff you can find that ASPA helper software you were looking for on Team Celestron beta testers on the thread titled "ASPA helper application". But you should know that you must have your laptop connected to your mount to use it. Otherwise your stuck using your Nexstar HC. Chris didn't intend for it to replace ASPA and hasn't posted it anywhere except there at this time.

Neilson

JeffBosworth

#6555871 - 05/31/14 05:29 PM

Neilson,

I think you'd need to describe the issue pretty thoroughly or they probably would just ship it back to you untouched. They'd say it was simply your opinion and it would be hard to quantify.

I think the first few production runs of this device may have used parts from a variety of different sources such that one unit may have gotten a good quality image chip and another a so-so chip. QA might have been a little slack at the time (really???).

I did find the ASPA helper app and have been corresponding with the author with a couple of specific questions about how to use it. Won't have a chance to try it out for a while but will report my experience with it. I realize it isn't the solution that Celestron owes us but it should be a good crutch for the time being. I commend Chris for making it available...

Thanks!

Jeff

Ed Fortier
sage

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: EFT]
      #6557583 - 06/01/14 05:44 PM

I just set up my Starsense for the first time and noticed that the time doesn't advance . Also to the right, there is an "s" followed by a question mark. Am I wrong in assuming the clock should be keeping time, and what does the "s?" mean? I don't seem to be able to reach it with the cursor. Everything else seems to be in order.

Edited by Ed Fortier (06/01/14 05:45 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6557601 - 06/01/14 05:54 PM

Mine always worked best at dusk (or wispy clouds) when just a few stars became visibly. It would work on auto in those conditions. When it became truly dark it would lock up on auto and I'm would have to use manual mode. If had updated mine (a few versions old now) and loaned it to someone out of state. He reports it works in auto mode at dark. If will ask him if it works at dusk.

Ed Fortier
sage

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6557611 - 06/01/14 05:59 PM

I guess I wasn't too clear about my problem. When I enter the time on the handset, say 17 33 32, it stays frozen at that time. Shouldn't it keep time, with the seconds advancing? Also, there is that "s?" symbol just to the right of the time. I have no idea what it means.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Ed Fortier]
      #6557650 - 06/01/14 06:28 PM

That's normal for Celestron's handsets. None of them show time incrementing. As for the "s" my magic 8 ball says... "seconds."

Ed Fortier
sage

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6557668 - 06/01/14 06:39 PM

Thanks, Rod. I was hoping the handset was operating properly. As for the "s" several spaces to he right of the "seconds" entry, I'm still curious about the question mark after it. Less so now, though, since it doesn't seem to be anything critical to be dealt with.

robertmorefield

Reged: 12/01/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6557705 - 06/01/14 07:01 PM

I am new to this thread. I have the AVX mount and due to the weather I have had it out only two times in all of May. I am thinking of obtaining the Star Sense Camera for easier alignment. This is my introduction to "GoTo's" after over 60 years of observing. My question is simple will the StarSence work with the AVX with or without polar alignment? Is it worth spending the $330+ dollars or just use the AVX alignment which, as I understand it, takes more time.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: robertmorefield]
      #6557818 - 06/01/14 08:01 PM

It will work with the AVX with or without polar alignment. Just get it pointing close to North as you can. As to it being worth it... Only you can really answer that question. It will align the scope so you don't have to but if you know the night sky well and the stars it asks you to point to then you won't have trouble doing the alignment yourself. With practice it gets faster. A decent alignment for me takes about 5-7 minutes all told which is about how long that SSA takes.

robertmorefield

Reged: 12/01/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6558173 - 06/01/14 11:08 PM

Thank you for your response. I have been thinking along the same lines as you described. I believe I will use the AVX more and get well acquainted with it before I decide on the StarSense Camera. Bob Morefield
P.S. I am putting the Sky Watcher Pro 100 ED Apo on the AVX. The only observations I have had with it have been excellent! I have had multiple scopes through my observing years. Again thank you for your comments.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#6558289 - 06/02/14 12:21 AM

You're welcome Robert. I think you hit it on the head. Work with it first then consider it. That Skywatcher is nice!

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6558581 - 06/02/14 07:59 AM

Quote:

I just set up my Starsense for the first time and noticed that the time doesn't advance . Also to the right, there is an "s" followed by a question mark. Am I wrong in assuming the clock should be keeping time, and what does the "s?" mean? I don't seem to be able to reach it with the cursor. Everything else seems to be in order.

Hi Ed,

The "S" beside the time just indicates you are using a "Saved Site" for your time/location source. If your mount has a Real Time Clock and you have that in use you will have "R" instead of "S" there, and if your mount has built in GPS or you have a Celestron GPS accessory plugged in and the GPS is set to be used in the SSA Hand Control you will have a "G" there instead of an "S". So that letter is just letting you know what the source is for your date/time/location.

It took me a while to figure that out on my 2 SSA units that I use on three different mounts, but that's all the letter is there for. It can be useful to know if you have set the HC to use your GPS, or RTC, if your particular mount model mount has either of those features built in or attached.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Chris M

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6558589 - 06/02/14 08:03 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your response. I have been thinking along the same lines as you described. I believe I will use the AVX more and get well acquainted with it before I decide on the StarSense Camera. Bob Morefield
P.S. I am putting the Sky Watcher Pro 100 ED Apo on the AVX. The only observations I have had with it have been excellent! I have had multiple scopes through my observing years. Again thank you for your comments.

Hi Robert,

I find my SSA wonderful and very helpful on my AVX mount, on the latest SSA beta firmware, which works properly well now apart from ASPA and the poor gotos to planets, but I'd still suggest getting to know the mount first without the SSA.

Regards,
Chris M

Ed Fortier
sage

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #6558863 - 06/02/14 11:13 AM

Has anyone had a problem updating their Starsense using an iMac? I'm pretty sure I have made all the proper connections, and the hand controller reads BOOT LOADER. But when I click on "seek devices" on the CFM, I'm told the manager has found serial ports on the PC but no devices attached to them. Well, everything is attached and I can't see where I'm going wrong. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #6558989 - 06/02/14 12:13 PM

Quote:

Has anyone had a problem updating their Starsense using an iMac? I'm pretty sure I have made all the proper connections, and the hand controller reads BOOT LOADER. But when I click on "seek devices" on the CFM, I'm told the manager has found serial ports on the PC but no devices attached to them. Well, everything is attached and I can't see where I'm going wrong. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Did you reboot after installing the USB to RS-232 adapter software? You have to reboot, even if the software install doesn't tell you to.

Also, depending on what version of OSX you're running, it may abort the camera update. I'm having issues with the latest firmware and OSX 10.9.3 on my MacBook Air. "Downgrading" to the Jan 10th firmware allowed it to update the camera, then re-running the current firmware brought everything to the newest release.

Ed Fortier
sage

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Sorny]
      #6559059 - 06/02/14 12:47 PM

I'm operating on the very edge of my computer skills here, but I think that is likely the problem. I plugged in an old USB to Rs232 cable last used on my HP desktop. Software to go with it? No memory of that! I'll get a new one soon and report on how things work out. Thanks for your help!

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #6559105 - 06/02/14 01:07 PM

Quote:

I'm operating on the very edge of my computer skills here, but I think that is likely the problem. I plugged in an old USB to Rs232 cable last used on my HP desktop. Software to go with it? No memory of that! I'll get a new one soon and report on how things work out. Thanks for your help!

I'd recommend the Keyspan adapter. Works like a champ. Model USA-19HS. Goes for about $30.

Good luck.

Edited by Sorny (06/02/14 01:10 PM)

Ed Fortier
sage

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Sorny]
      #6559261 - 06/02/14 02:43 PM

Thanks for the link, I just ordered the adapter.

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59161

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics