Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #6064737 - 09/05/13 03:59 PM

I'm wondering what are you supposed to do if in the middle of your observing session and you decide to change OTA's. You will probably have to unplug the SS but then you get an error message. So, You will need to have a SS bracket on the other OTA also because you will need to attach SS to it and realign. Which would be no problem because its fast. Unless someone can think of an alternate way to swap OTA's.

Does Celestron or anyone sell extra mounting brackets.

Neilson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: palmer570]
      #6064776 - 09/05/13 04:27 PM

No, the comment was a general one, not directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Carrera991]
      #6064777 - 09/05/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Try Woodland Hills Camera. I walked in there at lunch time yesterday and they just received a shipment. They still have them online per their website.

Yep. Thank you for your post. Ordered at noon, shipping notice by 2:00 PM. I cancelled my order at Adorama as they are backordered.

JeffBosworth

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6064803 - 09/05/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering what are you supposed to do if in the middle of your observing session and you decide to change OTA's. You will probably have to unplug the SS but then you get an error message. So, You will need to have a SS bracket on the other OTA also because you will need to attach SS to it and realign. Which would be no problem because its fast. Unless someone can think of an alternate way to swap OTA's.

Does Celestron or anyone sell extra mounting brackets.

Neilson

I'm using the small bracket into a regular finder dovetail shoe. So I can move the whole thing, bracket and all, over to another OTA with a dovetail shoe (all my scopes have them). But since I have all three OTAs on the mount at the same time (the CGE Pro handles the load no problem), there's no need to move the SS.

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

#6064811 - 09/05/13 04:41 PM

I agree Ain.

Quote:

StarSense is an add-on for existing mounts. While Celestron may or may not have assured folks of backward compatibilty for manual operation, it is a given that any purchaser of the StarSense should already own a HC or HC+. If there is an issue with manual alignment here, as a customer I am more than happy that Celestron put that on the back-burner and put their developer resources on issues more closely related to the amazing new funtionaility that StarSense is offering for owners of most existing Celestron mounts.

Is your glass half empty or half full?

C8er

#6064831 - 09/05/13 05:00 PM

Replies to several people here and a brief progress report on my southern hemisphere problems.

Michael thanks for the update on the lockup resolution. Hopefully your other problems are mount related ones you can fix and not starsense problems.

For the person who asked whether you can align with the cmaera unplugged. I have tried that and I'm pretty sure the unit wonn't even initialise without sensing the camera being plugged in. So you couldn't even do a soilar system or quick align I don't think. I am not being critical of celestron in that. It doesn't boither me one bit and I will carry around my old HC as backup anyway.

It may well be they add some or all of the old alignment methods in later firmware releases. Given we all have an old HC we can use I would far rather they concentrated on getting the new features up and running first.

On my possibly southern hemisphere related problems with the new unit on both an SE mount and CG-5 (wrong and below horizon gotos on SE mount sfter a supposedly successful autoalign, and firmware not able to sense/solve any stars at all on CG-5 [sensing and solving works on SE mount])I have now been recently contacted by celestron and am talking to them offline from forums. I will report progress here as and when it happens. They seem keen to help so far.

I think those with problems should defninitely join the team celestron setup as I did as wlel as posting more publicly here. I think you will likely get a faster response there from celestron than from posts in public forums like this, although Michael's problem was picked up by them from their monitoring of this forum.

I also see that the celestron website support section now has a live help chat button! Is that new? So far it says offline each time I look at it but maybe that will be up and running soon.

Cheers,
Chris

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6064834 - 09/05/13 05:03 PM

I don't know for a fact but I am guessing adding manual alignment is not on their back burner. I seriously doubt it will be put on the SS HC at all. I doubt they feel the need for it. It would have been nice if it did come on when the SS camera was unplugged, but it does not.

Neilson

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
      #6064836 - 09/05/13 05:04 PM

Another post in different forum has me a little worried...

Is there any lenses at the front, in between the two metal nose pieces? My first lens is about 2 inches down inside the nose and maybe a inch in diameter.

C8er

#6064858 - 09/05/13 05:16 PM

Hi Neilson. I think you would, as I have been doing between my different OTAS on my SE and CG-5 mounts, just move the whole bracket with camera in it (with the unit you get both a large SCT type mounting bracket and a smaller synta finder scope type bracket, both solid feeling metal brackets.

Removing the camera from one bracket to move it to another bracket involves an allen key to be loosened a little and unscrewing and separating the camera dew shield from the body of the camera (with two fiddly and loseable celestron orange metal rings that you could easily drop and lose in the dark that have to be shifted and put back on too). So I would say rather than that you would just move the whole bracket and then you'd probably need to recalibrate the camera to the different OTA I would think each time you move it (a very quick process). There is though a myseterious "Save and Load up to ten different alignments function" which may let you move OTAs without re calibrating perhaps. The purpose of that save and load alignment isn't explained in the manual at all so we all need to know more on what that is for and how it works.

Cheers,
Chris

NeilShapiro

Reged: 07/16/11

#6064864 - 09/05/13 05:20 PM

C8er -- did you try resetting the slew default? I called Celestron and had a very confusing conversation with them. First they had me check if time and location were ok as well as source of time (RTC) even though I knew they were. Checking revealed what I already knew -- yep, all OK. I suggested this slew problem to them as mine also defaults to 70 degrees. They said I could try REDUCING the slew to 50 degrees. But as this involves stars at the zenith (my databases last night also failed to show Vega, M57, etc.) I thought I should reset to around 80? They said they would get back to me but I am kinda wondering what the situation is. Did you try resetting the slew default from 70? Did you try increasing or decreasing that number????? Thanks!

C8er

#6064865 - 09/05/13 05:20 PM

Same here Palmer. The front piece is just a dew shield. You are not meant to have a lens there. Just the little lens back down in the tube. As far as I know your setup sounds to be as it should be.

Chris.
Quote:

Another post in different forum has me a little worried...

Is there any lenses at the front, in between the two metal nose pieces? My first lens is about 2 inches down inside the nose and maybe a inch in diameter.

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: NeilShapiro]
      #6064877 - 09/05/13 05:23 PM

Hi Neil,

Yes I have set the slew limits to several different variations to try and get around my problems. I think some of the stars missing from my named stars list after the autoalign were at first due to that, but while I might now have a better list of stars by changing the slew limits my SE mount gotos to those above horizon stars are still all trying to point below horion.

Thanks for that thought though.

Cheers,
Chris

Quote:

C8er -- did you try resetting the slew default? I called Celestron and had a very confusing conversation with them. First they had me check if time and location were ok as well as source of time (RTC) even though I knew they were. Checking revealed what I already knew -- yep, all OK. I suggested this slew problem to them as mine also defaults to 70 degrees. They said I could try REDUCING the slew to 50 degrees. But as this involves stars at the zenith (my databases last night also failed to show Vega, M57, etc.) I thought I should reset to around 80? They said they would get back to me but I am kinda wondering what the situation is. Did you try resetting the slew default from 70? Did you try increasing or decreasing that number????? Thanks!

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6064897 - 09/05/13 05:32 PM

Why would you release an upgraded HC with all the nifty StarSense gadgetry and not have all the existing HC functionality (GOTO calibrate, 2+4 alignment, etc...) ? Normally, when you upgrade a device and make it backward compatible you add onto the existing suite of functions, not truncate a few here and there... I know, early adopter angst and self justification for ponying up $300+ for the latest gizmo... I still say $99 bucks a year from now...

Al

P.S. It would be funny to see an alignment shootout, StarSense vs. an experienced HC aficionado... Who can align faster? Ohhh ahhh... whats the savings if any? I'd put my $ on the person over the beastie machine!

JeffBosworth

#6064906 - 09/05/13 05:38 PM

Remember that the camera is 20mm. An inch is 25.4mm. My SS does not have any lens other than that small one you're seeing down in the barrel. So I think you're OK.

neilson
professor emeritus

#6064914 - 09/05/13 05:42 PM

Thanks Jeff and Chris for your replies. My celestron Refractors have the slot for the smaller bracket and my 9.25 EdgeHD will use the larger bracket but I also have an Explore Scientific 152mm refractor and a Meade SN10" OTA. I would like to attach the larger size brackets on them if they are available. I just found a selection of Orion/Synta finder shoes at scope n stuff that should work with the SS smaller mounting bracket. I can use them on all my other OTA's.

Neilson

C8er

#6064926 - 09/05/13 05:50 PM

Hu Neilson,

I already had Synta type finder bases attached to all my OTAs, SCTs, WO refractor, reflectors, etc, so I can just leave my starsense camera in the synta type bracket and move the whole thing from OTA to OTA. The smaller synta base type bracket seems solid enough and I suspect the large SCT bracket will remain in the box for me.

I'm really curious about what this saved/load ten alignments is for and how it works. Even though my unit has problems in its operation so far my bigger disappointmnent so far is the lack of detailed/missing content in the manual, which seems more like a quick start manual than a comprehensive manual.

Quote:

Thanks Jeff and Chris for your replies. My celestron Refractors have the slot for the smaller bracket and my 9.25 EdgeHD will use the larger bracket but I also have an Explore Scientific 152mm refractor and a Meade SN10" OTA. I would like to attach the larger size brackets on them if they are available. I just found a selection of Orion/Synta finder shoes at scope n stuff that should work with the SS smaller mounting bracket. I can use them on all my other OTA's.

Neilson

neilson
professor emeritus

#6064966 - 09/05/13 06:12 PM

C8er,
I agree, The manual could have been better written.

I think your ideal would be the easiest way to deal with the bracket situation. I too am going to leave that big bracket in the box and put the smaller Synta type shoe on my SCT also so they all match.

Neilson

neilson
professor emeritus

#6065015 - 09/05/13 06:48 PM

I guess if someone wanted, they could fabricate a bracket and attach it to the dovetail Saddle. Then mount the Starsense on it. They would have to make sure it wouldn't hit the mount when slewing. Then you could change OTA's and leave the SS attached to the mount. The bracket could have a Synta finder shoe so you could remove the camera easily. You could align the mount without the OTA if you wanted.
Maybe the next mounts will have the camera built in.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6065127 - 09/05/13 08:13 PM

Well it had better out point my 2+4 alignment or be really fast at aligning, especially if I have to hang around and baby sit it, or it will be going back, even if the price dropped to $100. As of yet my only gripe is the lack of "no camera" mode of alignment. Not a deal breaker but... I can live without the CN16.

Celestron has stated that they have big plans for this device. I may just wait until some of those come to fruition if it is no better than my 2+4 alignment.

I sure hope that the curse that has descended on us since the device arrived is worth it!

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: rmollise]
      #6065170 - 09/05/13 08:38 PM

Quote:

I ALWAYS carry a second hand controller

Rod,

I just received my StarSense this evening and I'm off to the AHSP tomorrow morning. I'm not foolish enough to leave my old handset behind. I hope it works first time, but, if not, I'll have the old handset on very quickly to avoid losing dark sky time.

Regards,

Charlie B

See you there.

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59165

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics