Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dr.who]
      #5900792 - 06/03/13 11:16 PM

My hope is that they view it as a "game changer" & recognize the huge sale potential & want to make sure they don't get returns & bad reviews out of the chute. Of course that is what quality control is all about. Celestron changed the game when they came out with the Nexstar single fork go to & they've sold a lot of them, still do. If this thing works as advertised it will be of interest to many more amateurs, IMHO, as well as frustrated suburban viewers like me. If you have ever had a wide field image plate solved on Astrobin, it is pretty amazing. Seems plate solving should be able to solve (no pun ...) the alignment frustration. I'm hopeful!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: munchmeister]
      #5925581 - 06/17/13 01:47 PM

Hi,
I had sent an email to Celestron asking if they were still going to release the starsense in July and what date. I also asked if they were getting in enough to fill all the backorders and have some to sell since I didn't put one on backorder. I was told they were still waiting for them to come in then they will be doing a thorough inspection before they send them out to their dealers. Then he said that if I would have preordered one back in January there would be a good chance that I would have gotten one next month.
They are usually slow doing things from my experience so I'm guessing this inspection will take a while. He also made it sound as though they were only getting enough to fill the ones ordered back around January. I hope that's not true, but maybe they want to make sure the first batch comes out good before they make more. I was expecting to get one back when they claimed they were coming out in March, I'm still hoping for one in July.

neilson

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #5925627 - 06/17/13 02:08 PM

Hi Neilson. Thanks for the update. I didn't pre-order one, so will keep my fingers crossed I can catch one if there are any left over after the exisiting orders are filled.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5925671 - 06/17/13 02:28 PM

Hi,
If these were something large and complicated like mounts I would expect them to take a while to fill the orders. But these are small and simple so hopefully there will be quit a few sent out. Although there's no telling how many people already ordered one.

neilson

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5950603 - 07/02/13 12:01 AM

Now Celestron's site has no date of shipment... Just preorder... You can order via their site though. Should be soon.

This looks promising..

Aux Port Splitter

Connect the StarSense Accessory to your Celestron mount with this auxiliary port splitter. Parallel adapter splits a single modular 6-pin auxiliary or hand controller port into two. Ideal for connecting the StarSense Accessory to telescopes with only one hand controller port, allowing the StarSense hand controller and camera to connect to the mount.

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5954752 - 07/04/13 01:15 PM

Well the release date has been pushed back to September on at least one website: Telescope.com .

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: palmer570]
      #5954801 - 07/04/13 01:49 PM

It says September 2013 on Hands on Optics site also.
Bummer

neilson

neilson
professor emeritus

#5964117 - 07/10/13 01:59 PM

I called Celestron Tech support. I was told the release date has been moved up from July. He didn't know the new date. So it is true there will be another delay. I wonder what the hold up is.

Neilson

Bogglman

Reged: 03/28/13

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
      #5966295 - 07/11/13 08:09 PM

It's speculation at this point. Manufacturing, QA, or bugs. StarSense has a big load on it's shoulders indeed.

Scotty H

Reged: 11/15/10

Loc: Surrey,UK
      #5967513 - 07/12/13 02:25 PM

Hmmmm

It still says expected mid August from the guys I've pre-ordered from Starsense

It would certainly make a change if we get it before our brothers and sisters from across the pond

Scott

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Scotty H]
      #5969483 - 07/13/13 07:14 PM

I am down here in the parking lot of OPT for their annual SCAE talking to the Celestron rep. He said there is a very limited amount available this month.

TimP

Reged: 02/24/09

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5981505 - 07/20/13 02:11 PM

Has anyone received the Star Sense unit yet ?

Scotty H

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: TimP]
      #5991366 - 07/26/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Has anyone received the Star Sense unit yet ?

Not yet i'm afraid. Just got an email back from Celestron saying shipping starts at the end of the month and for all those people who want to take a peek at the manual, that wont be up on the site until a couple of weeks after first shipments...... Oh well

Scott

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5991401 - 07/26/13 02:26 PM

Given the amount of discussion the LX80/ LX800 fiascos started, I'm guessing it at least crossed someone's mind at Celestron to make double sure that won't be them, next.

I've been slowly rebuilding a Nexstar 8 GPS's forks into a trapeze setup capable of an over-under arrangement of two telescopes going on it, and I've been thinking this would be a turbo-cool mobile rig if StarSense enabled.

-Rich

Scotty H

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5993086 - 07/27/13 02:02 PM

Sounds like an interesting project. Have you got ant pics you would like to share Rich?

Scott

aorion314

Reged: 11/15/08

#5997648 - 07/30/13 01:04 AM

aorion314 here, spoke with astronomics today, per celestron, more delays 2 weeks at least, as soon to be consumer of the Celestron product I am starting to worry this product may not be up to par or multiple problems of some variety or continuing non resolving issue. Sure would be nice and transparent if Celestron would do press release to update future consumers.

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: aorion314]
      #5998539 - 07/30/13 02:19 PM

I am excited to get mine as well, but i am glad they are making sure all the bugs are out of it before shipping. Sounds like they are making sure it will be all its supposed to be when the first customers get it.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: faltered]
      #5999323 - 07/30/13 11:59 PM

lol

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: aorion314]
      #6029795 - 08/16/13 07:37 PM

Anybody have any updates on this? I'd love to get one, but I don't like ordering products that may never materialize--once burnt, twice shy.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stelios]
      #6029800 - 08/16/13 07:43 PM

Same here. Telescopes.com is showing "ships Sept. 10th". If the pre-order folks haven't yet begin receiving theirs, I suspect this date isn't accurate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58856

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics