Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6047266 - 08/26/13 04:07 PM

Quote:

Whichway...

What mount r u using?

AVX

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6047335 - 08/26/13 05:00 PM

Ok so here is how my night went.

Part 1 is the same as posted above. Shows a lock up straight away and then another lock up at about (3:42) of the video. http://youtu.be/Nt6ICodv86c

Part 2 is more about the set up I have for this test. Showing the PC computer screen and the bulls eyes so I can tell how close to center things get (3:55). Had no trouble at all doing the auto alignment. This was maybe 5 minutes after the end of Part 1 video. Also here I added the rest of the calibration points which I believe is a total of 10. Feel encouraged to skip everything after (4:30) http://youtu.be/AhxMeQ-Z4ck

Part 3 After completing the 10 point calibration in Part 2 I start off by pulling up The SkyX Pro and selecting Arcturus to slew. The star did NOT appear in the FOV of the camera. Strange because as you can see Arcturus is pretty darned close to where I left off with the last calib point. Is there an issue when using software to slew the mount? I get it centered and attempt to get my guide camera, which I am using to view in very wide field, centered. I also verify that I have the SSA aligned with the OTA and I go ahead and re-do it to make sure. (only have to do this once). http://youtu.be/nNJm_oVHgfM

Part 4 At one minute in to the video you'll see it locking up again. This is a different lock up than was shown in part 1. This time it locks at first position AND second position. (1:00) I hit "back" to abort at (2:00). I pressed enter to try it again and it locked up at the same coordinates as the first attempt. 45`00'17"/135`00'17" I then cycled the power for another attempt. This time it passed the first calib but froze up on the second (5:00). On a hunch I unplugged the Celestron serial cable from the bottom of the HC and started over. (7:00) This time it went through without any hassle. http://youtu.be/V-_53FV6nSk

Part 5 (last part) Now that I have the auto alignment done again I slewed to Altair and show on the PC screen the pointing accuracy. At (1:15) I start adding the calibration stars again. I put the video into 4x speed while I do the calib stars to save time. Skip to (3:20) I didn't say so in the video but watching it back I notice that the pointing was actually BETTER before I added the 10 calibration stars. At (4:30) is when I decide to check the pole align routine and due to a mistake on my part I ended up shooting myself in the foot here. I selected Altair, the scope slewed from Arcturus(west) all the way past the meridian and pointed UP to Altair. When I centered it and pressed Enter, it slewed ALL THE WAY back around, passed the meridian again, before asking for physical corrections. I should have stopped here and selected a new star but instead I kept on and was disapointed in the result. After viewing the drift being bad I gave up for the night. Clouds and storms are going to prevent me from trying again for a few more nights. http://youtu.be/IWMm7_2CJBs

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6047350 - 08/26/13 05:10 PM

What mount are u using please?

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6047352 - 08/26/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

What mount are u using please?

Ok...AVX

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6047360 - 08/26/13 05:16 PM

Good effort whichway.

It's not working for you.
Have you posted on TeamCelestron's site?

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6047452 - 08/26/13 06:03 PM

Too many freeze ups
And adding the 10 calib stars gave a worse centering for the goto compared with jst the 4 alignment stars!
Looks like plugging a cable into the bottom of the HC also affects it poorly.
I'm sure it will be sorted out by the techs ...maybe bugs in the software..disappointing though considering the delay in release.

Great potential....i am ordering mine right away.

Keep posting the youtube vids....very well done...appreciated.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#6047470 - 08/26/13 06:15 PM

Yah I posted it to Teamcelestron. I don't know if my unit is just faulty or if the mount is or both? Only time will tell.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6047521 - 08/26/13 06:47 PM

Nice one

Give it another try out when u can

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6047617 - 08/26/13 08:05 PM

Hi,
Would it be worth trying the reset mount to factory settings under Utility. You would have to re input the time and all that and/or you might try redoing the initial calibration process that aligns the Starsense to the mount.
Using the Factory Settings feature will probably require you to redo the initial calibration process on the Starsense also.
I have found that the Factory setting feature has cured problems in my mounts computer several times. It can't hurt.

Neilson

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6047689 - 08/26/13 08:51 PM

They have been out for 2 days now? if there is this bad a glitch in the whole SS system/batch, I am sure there would be more people complaining?? It would be nice to hear some others experiences tho especially with the glitches of the AVX & new celestron handsets
Kasey

VegaSpec
Vendor - Celestron

Reged: 07/08/06

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
      #6047698 - 08/26/13 08:57 PM

Hello all -

I'm in contact with Whichwayisnorth now about the lock up issue he has encountered.

Speaking to the lock up during alignment, this is not something we have encountered during development (also as Chris has mentioned). The AVX we've been testing here aligns without interruptions. One possibility (not yet confirmed) is that sending commands over the RS-232 interface during the alignment could cause an interruption. I'll post an update when we determine the cause.

Thanks!

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: VegaSpec]
      #6047729 - 08/26/13 09:12 PM

The StarSense accessory is a neat idea, but I think it is mis-priced for what it does. The price of the unit in comparison with lower priced mounts $<1,000 is too high while for the upper-end mounts, CGEM-CGE PRO/CPC the users are mostly advanced and can generally do the alignment themselves without too much trouble. 3rd party advanced software like MaximDL can do plate solves while free websites like nova.astrometry.com can similarly provide pinpoint accuracy. Hence, the value proposition here is minimal for the asking price. Granted there is potential for precise slews and for remote operation/setup... but again users demanding this type of precision can usually afford more and probably already have it.

I typically hibernate my scopes when I leave them outside for extended periods of time. Meanwhile when I set up from scratch, it takes only 3-5 minutes, so again why do i need this accessory...

Personally, I think its worth $99 at best. Just my 2c, but absent other features, and or other value-added (autoguiding) or whatnot, its not that relevant a gizmo to have...

Al

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6047736 - 08/26/13 09:20 PM

Al,

Especially when pointing can be corrected via plate solves. The biggest advantage is visual observers who think the 2+4 takes too long.

Neat neat device though. I love reading about it.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Raginar]
      #6047878 - 08/26/13 10:43 PM

I think hardware wise it is worth the money. I don't know if anyone saw my youtube video earlier in this thread where I unboxed it. I could tell right away that it was a high quality camera. I would assume that in a future update it will do precise pointing. That is where the real advantage comes in.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6047894 - 08/26/13 10:51 PM

Quote:

I would assume that in a future update it will do precise pointing. That is where the real advantage comes in.

I agree that this would be an obvious application and that it will be done. I have been plate solving with Maxim/DL for years so I didn't think it would mean much to me on the LX850 - but having it "just happen" is surprisingly convenient.

I don't think it be long before such a feature becomes common, even though it may seem superfluous to some today. I remember when folks thought GPS was a silly thing to incorporate but it's normal now.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6048174 - 08/27/13 03:42 AM

The big difference seems to be that Michael is doing the align with serial control connected. I didn't get a chance to try this.

Michael, what serial control were you using? Did I hear it was TheSky? If so were you using TheSky's control or ASCOM?

The pointing accuracy I've seen is about the same as I get with a careful 2+n alignment. I've not seen the need to add many additional calibrate positions.

Chris

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6050032 - 08/28/13 03:32 AM

After tonights tests which were extensive I have determined that it is not related in any way to RS232 as I continued to have lock ups without any cables connected to the mount. Tomorrow I will do a few more tests just to satisfy my curiosity on a few things and if I can't manage to resolve it on my own then it will be up to Celestron. Regardless of the cause both items are still under warranty so I would expect that the faulty unit would be replaced. My second round of testing has been video documented and submitted to Celestron directly as they did call me today and go over everything I'm doing and requested a few tests to confirm things. I was actually really hoping it was the serial control connected. Would have been easy for me to ignore it or just align first then connect. Sad feelings.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6050062 - 08/28/13 05:00 AM

Oh dear....

Looking ahead to you getting it working...great to see celestron are helping out.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6050417 - 08/28/13 10:41 AM

Whichwayisnorth, firstly, thanks for the excellent reporting and accompanying video of first light with the StarSense. I have had mine on order since April 14 (have not yet received it). Clearly, there seems to be an issue with it, whether it be a bad sample or a bad lot (or bad firmware). I hope others chime in soon with their first experiences with it. It's this level of review that will help force the manufacturers to be more careful on releasing product that is not ready for prime time. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to show us the issues you are having with the StarSense.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: PatHolland]
      #6050533 - 08/28/13 11:46 AM

+1

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51587

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics