Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
TimP

Reged: 02/24/09

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6051486 - 08/28/13 08:55 PM

Celestron suggests that you may need to by the Aux Port Splitter with the StarSense and the GPS plugged in at the same time. I wonder if there are generic splitters that will work?

Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: TimP]
      #6051938 - 08/29/13 05:00 AM

I've been beta testing Starsense since late May and have never seen the issue that Micheal reports. I think the same applies to the other beta testers and the testing that Celestron has done. I don't think I ever saw a fail to slew to the align position.

No one would have released it if this problem was generic, no matter what the pressure to ship was.

My guess is that it's specific to Michael's mount, or a sub-set of mounts. The HC software hasn't crashed - we know this because the undo button works - but it thinks the slew hasn't finished. I would be looking at how the HC determines that a slew has finished.

The thing the developers need to do is look at why this is happening and fix it properly. They need to avoid being rushed into what I call a sticking plaster solution, such as assuming the move has finished if the position hasn't changed even if the motor controller says it hasn't. It may take a bit longer to do a good solution but it will pay dividends in terms of reliability in the long term.

Chris

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: TimP]
      #6051961 - 08/29/13 05:57 AM

Quote:

Celestron suggests that you may need to by the Aux Port Splitter with the StarSense and the GPS plugged in at the same time. I wonder if there are generic splitters that will work?

Tim

Tim

CGE PRO has 2 auxillary ports.....

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6051993 - 08/29/13 06:49 AM

Very good post Chris,
I like you believe this is a glitch and the whole SS product should not be dished because of it, and I have no dog in this fight. I neither own one or have ordered one.... Key word and hardest to abide by??? PATIENCE
Kasey

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6052392 - 08/29/13 11:50 AM

Hi
There's always a chance that a bad one slips by. I bet if he returned it another one would work just fine. I don't think this is a problem with Starsense. I think it's just one defective unit. Remember that it's made in China and there's a trade off for low cost electronic devices. Fortunately it can be swapped out.

Neilson

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6052859 - 08/29/13 03:57 PM

Not RS232 related. Celestron "Thinks" they know what is happening. I'll update.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (08/29/13 07:49 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6052880 - 08/29/13 04:07 PM

I'd say you have a defective unit given what we've heard/learned so far. Have you contacted your dealer? If not, I would certainly suggest that.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6053043 - 08/29/13 05:48 PM

You got great patience Michael.

Seems as if there has to be something wrong with your SS.
Cannot be user error.

Keep us posted...am interested in Celestron's response

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
      #6053095 - 08/29/13 06:16 PM

I want to give Celestron the benefit of the doubt that they are going to contact me regarding this issue and try to work it out. I don't mind doing more troubleshooting. I may try a different cable and I may do a complete factory reset. Clouds finally rolled in so it'll have to wait.

But yes, I'll contact my dealer for an exchange soon.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6053225 - 08/29/13 07:23 PM

Factory reset.....hmmmm..u never know...that can chase away strange bugs...

Keep us posted
Clear Skies

TimP

Reged: 02/24/09

#6053549 - 08/29/13 11:28 PM

I have a CGEM DX so I only have one aux port.

Tim

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6053583 - 08/29/13 11:53 PM

I'm for trying the factory reset too.

OK Celestron go ahead and send the next batch from China.

Neilson

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6054916 - 08/30/13 06:46 PM

I still think this product will be a flop at this price point... Just like the skyQ link product which is going for 50% off list on classified listings already... The component parts for SS are maybe worth $50 at wholesale, if that... The software development costs were minimal given the already sunk costs in the HC firmware and the public domain star fields for plate solving down to maybe just mag7-8 tops... Hence, again I think this should be a list $99 product.

Al

Lee.S

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6055218 - 08/30/13 10:20 PM

I have Star Sense on preorder also .I'm sure that the prize is worth the anticipation.Like birthday presents.....L.S.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6055494 - 08/31/13 03:44 AM

Quote:

I still think this product will be a flop at this price point... Just like the skyQ link product which is going for 50% off list on classified listings already... The component parts for SS are maybe worth $50 at wholesale, if that... The software development costs were minimal given the already sunk costs in the HC firmware and the public domain star fields for plate solving down to maybe just mag7-8 tops... Hence, again I think this should be a list $99 product.

I think you are grossly underestimating the complexity of doing this. The development costs will not be minimal. There's a lot of code to write and debug, both in the camera and in the new HC.

Most people underestimate the complexity of developing software and overestimate their competence to judge. This is why so many software products are late. Managers don't believe what the developers tell them - and even the developers are usually too optimistic.

I'm sure that once this is established the price will come down. And mounts may come with SS instead of a finder and a normal HC. That might get sold for $150 more than with the standard HC.

It isn't compulsory to get it. If it's more than you are prepared to pay then don't get it. If everyone feels like this it will fail. But at present we have people throwing their toys out of the pram because they can't get one.

Chris

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6055593 - 08/31/13 06:49 AM

Al
Far off the mark.
Amazing piece of kit and not expensive at all

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6055620 - 08/31/13 07:54 AM

Howard & Chris, heck maybe I am wrong and it will be a blowout... I doubt it but we shall see... In any event I betcha that a year from now this product will be selling for $150 or less and that on the used market it will be goin for less than $100. I will not be surprised to see other products like skySafari offering similar capability for much less... The technology behind this not revolutionary, rather it exists already an much of it in the public domain, it just requires tieing together the various components... Now some companies do a great job of incorporatin off the shelf components and charging a premium price for the integration... For such a small market as ours however, this type of product has a very limited audience...

I think your comment that SS could come bundled with higher end packages like the C11/C14 CPC/CGEM DX/CGe Pro as probably the most probable end market for SS. And by the way when that happens a year after there will be many of these things floating around in the used market as not everyone who buys a high end setup will need an auto aligner especially if they have a permanent setup...

Heck we will see... Remind you guys a year from now on my prediction !!

Al

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6055662 - 08/31/13 08:54 AM

Quote:

Al

And the component parts in your big screen TV are maybe worth 50 bucks. That has nada to do with it. The product's success will depend on the market, whose response will depend on its utility and reliability. The SkyQ link is nice, but most folks didn't like the accompanying app that much, and controlling the telescope with a cell phone really isn't a huge improvement for most folks. This may be or it may not be. Time will tell.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: rmollise]
      #6055716 - 08/31/13 09:37 AM

The Starsense is using the very sensitive Aptina MT9M034 CMOS sensor - same as that in the QHY5L-II. The QHY costs $320 so I don't think the StarSense is overpriced.

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: korborh]
      #6055776 - 08/31/13 10:21 AM

There is one for sale on Astromart. Not mine, but just a heads up.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=830402

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59026

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics