Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6055786 - 08/31/13 10:29 AM

Hi,
I agree the cost to make this is minimal. The software writers and engineers are permanently employed by Celestron. They work on everything Celestron has. This is existing technologies tied together in a package. I in no way want to take away from these engineers for designing this because I am glad they did it. And I feel they did a great job. I do feel the cost to make this is minimal and that it is overpriced. But I am paying the price and hundreds are on waiting lists so there are plenty of customers willing to pay it. Ever since telescopes started being made in China the prices should have dropped way down. But they did not. Because there are plenty of people here in America with high incomes that want a nice telescope and are willing to pay these prices. That's unfortunate for the other half that cannot afford it. They are stuck with department store type non goto telescopes. That's just the way things are. I am one of the second half but my telescopes are important to me so I keep driving my 1990 Dodge van and pay rent and do without pizza (most of the time) and spend my money on telescope equipment. Because of the internet and the growing number of people with a nice income or credit card the prices will not go down. So if your waiting for the price to drop to $100 or $150. you will have a long wait. Even used telescope equipment is expensive. There is no competition. Haven't you noticed that every store has the same price on most items. There's nothing you can do about it so just accept it and pay the prices because there not going down.

Neilson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6055852 - 08/31/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

I think your comment that SS could come bundled with higher end packages like the C11/C14 CPC/CGEM DX/CGe Pro as probably the most probable end market for SS. And by the way when that happens a year after there will be many of these things floating around in the used market as not everyone who buys a high end setup will need an auto aligner especially if they have a permanent setup...

Based on that comment and your price estimates, it is possible that you aren't familiar with the SS system. It's not just a camera. The standard handbox sells for $150 so they are unlikely to be able to add the camera, mounting hardware, software, and enhanced handbox at the same price.

If someone buys an integrated model (and yes, they will be common; perhaps nearly universal as this is not the first but rather the third such system to be offered) and sells off the SS package, their mount will no longer be fully functional. They won't have a handbox.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6055860 - 08/31/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I agree the cost to make this is minimal.

If you think it is overpriced, don't think it's of value, and don't want it don't buy it. If other people share your opinion, the product will fail. That is the way the market works.

My opinion? It is not overpriced. It is fairly priced. The question will be its utility and reliability and the jury is still out on that, understandably so since it is brand new.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6055892 - 08/31/13 11:33 AM

There is a lot of room to expand the capabilities of this product. What I found really interesting is that the camera actually runs on Linux. Simply a matter of time before they add features. Next I would assume is high precision pointing. I also hear people occasionally ask if it will ever double as a guide camera. I don't see how this can be done such a short focal length but if you are using hyperstar I can see where it would work.

Pick it up in your hand and hold it. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6056039 - 08/31/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of room to expand the capabilities of this product. What I found really interesting is that the camera actually runs on Linux. Simply a matter of time before they add features. Next I would assume is high precision pointing. I also hear people occasionally ask if it will ever double as a guide camera. I don't see how this can be done such a short focal length but if you are using hyperstar I can see where it would work.

Pick it up in your hand and hold it. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

I believe the possibility of future capabilities may be the key to the Starsense's success. I mean, if all it does is a go-to alignment, that's cool...but more could make it a real hit.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6056056 - 08/31/13 01:20 PM

It's exciting.
Anything that improves pointing and/or makes alignment time shorter and less manually intensive and is priced below 400usd and can be upgraded as time goes by is much appreciated by me.

I can't understand why anyone would bother talking down such a product...and remember it's not only the camera ...it's the Hand Control as well.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6056093 - 08/31/13 01:33 PM

IMO, Starsense will be either a great success or dismal failure--depending on how buggy it is. If it's a success, $329 would be quite reasonable (although at some point it'll be integrated for a smaller differential as an option). If it's not, then even $100 would be money spent on self-frustration.

I've been reading here with baited breath, and I still have no answer to this question. We've had comprehensive reports--of a buggy unit. Or is it a buggy product? And if so, will the bugs be fixed anytime soon? Also, how good are the GoTo's after StarSense alignment? In a 40mm EP? In a 20mm EP? In a 10mm EP? Worse? Better? And are they consistent?

I *really* want this product to work. I would set up more often if it wasn't for the neck-wringing exercise of initial alignment which is tough on this arthritic 65yo--and which needs to be redone after the occasional errant slew. Amortized over the viewing sessions of a few years I see the cost as being totally negligible, certainly much more valuable than yet another widefield EP.

But only if it works with a high degree (perfection not expected) of both accuracy and reliability.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: fetoma]
      #6056160 - 08/31/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

There is one for sale on Astromart. Not mine, but just a heads up.
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=830402

Wow, he's really taking a beating on price. NOT!

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6056245 - 08/31/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Wow, he's really taking a beating on price. NOT!

Yeah. Wotta maroon. "Christmas" ...some Christmas spirit he has. May he be boiled in his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6056250 - 08/31/13 02:51 PM

I bet he gets that price. Even though I think its price is high I would almost buy that one on Astromart because I really would like one now and I've got a long way to go on the back order list. Fortunately I'm not a member of Astromart so I wont jump on it.

Neilson

rmollise
Postmaster

#6056253 - 08/31/13 02:54 PM

I wouldn't. His price is ridiculous, there will be plenty available before long, and a little wait will mean any potential problems get ironed out. Thank god for early adopters...I just don't wanna be one.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6056670 - 08/31/13 08:34 PM

+1

To Rod (again)

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
      #6056800 - 08/31/13 10:15 PM

I agree, but I just checked the link and it's sold. P. T. Barnum had it right.

Charlie B

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Charlie B]
      #6056824 - 08/31/13 10:33 PM

Not so fast now:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=830481

TimP

Reged: 02/24/09

#6056844 - 08/31/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Not so fast now:

Man! I only paid 309. for mine. I should have bought a couple.

Tim

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=830481

neilson
professor emeritus

#6056872 - 08/31/13 11:21 PM

It a second one at an even higher price. He's making out pretty good. Hopefully Celestron doesn't get any ideals.

Neilson

Tiny
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/02/08

#6056890 - 08/31/13 11:33 PM

Quote:

I still think this product will be a flop at this price point... Just like the skyQ link product which is going for 50% off list on classified listings already... The component parts for SS are maybe worth $50 at wholesale, if that... The software development costs were minimal given the already sunk costs in the HC firmware and the public domain star fields for plate solving down to maybe just mag7-8 tops... Hence, again I think this should be a list $99 product.

Al

Fantastic! So we'll be seeing Al's version for $99 when? Surely you must have one in the works if its so simple.

Two things. The first is most people don't trundle their laptop out every time they want to use their telescope. Infact very few do. This also assumes that person has a guide scope and is probably only interested in imaging. The Skysense accessory is far from being marketed only at imagers.

Second, if this was an accessory for a Tak or Losmandy mount it would be twice the price and few would probably complain.

I personally do not see ~$300 as an absorbitant sum of money for a piece of kit that will auto-align your telescope to a high degree of accuracy during moderate cloud cover or with severely limited sky viewable and then take you on a tour. As stated the hand controller itself retails for over $100.

Quote:

I bet he gets that price. Even though I think its price is high I would almost buy that one on Astromart because I really would like one now and I've got a long way to go on the back order list. Fortunately I'm not a member of Astromart so I wont jump on it.

Neilson

No idea who you ordered from but I literally ordered mine last Friday and had it by Tuesday from Skies unlimited. Units seem to be readily available.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Tiny]
      #6057327 - 09/01/13 09:52 AM

Tiny,
Looks like you got lucky because they are listed as "stock status: on back order" on Skies Unlimited site.

I ordered from Astronomics after OPT told me they had over 100 backordered and only got 10 in. Astronomics has quit a few on Backorder also.

neilson

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: HowardK]
      #6057498 - 09/01/13 11:37 AM

A 80mm widefield with a small camera coupled to Astrotortilla will get you dead-on every time you slew. I think you could throw that together for just about 400 bucks.

You'd need a laptop at your mount though.

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: neilson]
      #6057582 - 09/01/13 12:21 PM

So, after a week, I finally had a chance to get my StarSense out under the skies. Quick verdict, this thing is pretty damn cool.

First a comment about how everyone jumps on the, "It's buggy" band wagon. It's something that really drives me crazy about this site, especially given the influence of these forums. I heard a lot of unwarranted skepticism last night from people who read this thread but had never seen the device in action.

Now the details; The skies were pretty miserable last night with lots of patchy clouds. Polaris, along with all of your typical alignment stars, would appear for a few moments but by the time those doing traditional alignment slewed to the location, they'd be blocked. I started trying to align with SkySense right at dusk but due to clouds I assume, I wasn't able to get good, rapid solves until it was dark enough for Polaris to become visible. At that point, the alignment process was consistently successful. It was as simple as press the button, walk away to help someone mount their C11, and come back to scope ready for action.

Calibration between the scope an camera took a few attempts to get right, but I attribute that to being horribly off on my Polar Alignment. This process requires a power recycle after being performed, but not that bad at all since it now just press the button and you're aligned again.

Now I'm sure you all have also heard about the need to create calibration points. My thoughts on this one are mixed. I'd much prefer if the device automatically created the pointing model for you but I can see the logic in how it's implemented for those with obstructed views (hint to Celestron: how about making creation of an automated model an option). Creating calibration point is so easy I thought I had mis-read the instructions; Just slew the scope *anywhere* and create a calibration point. No specific target required.

So going back, my polar alignment was horribly off giving me a few bad slews. Fixing the bad slews was as simple as just creating a calibration point then re-selecting the object I was attempting to view. By the end of the night, I was all over the sky with everything centering as if I had done a manual alignment in an 11mm eyepiece on my ES127. Another hint to Celestron, I'd love to do a manual plate solve / sync outside of calibration process. It may be there, but I haven't found it yet.

And now, the thing no one has talked about yet, the new hand controller. 4 line mode gives you a lot more information but sacrifices a little bit in readability. I would have loved to have the object name in the traditional, larger font with the additional data being shown in the four-line font. Prompt text has also gotten a little more wordy requiring scrolling even 4-line mode. Accessing objects in the database is very different than with my traditional CGEM hand controller. There were a few cases of "muscle memory" and pushing the wrong button, but overall, it's a huge improvement. For example, Deep Space objects are now also broken out into new Cluster, Nebula and Galaxy categories with Stars now having a new Binary / Multiple category. With all these improvement though, I couldn't seem to find an entry for Albireo (what's up with that Celestron ).

Bottom line, I'm quite happy with my new toy. I was set up next to two other Celestron users and am not exaggerating when I say there was a pretty consistent stream of expletives coming from that direction as they were trying to align through the clouds while I was already up and observing the Lagoon before it hit the horizon. There are a few things I like to see added like automated creation of the pointing model and manual plate solves, but it definitely works as advertised.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51585

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics