Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: oo_void]
      #6057595 - 09/01/13 12:32 PM

You can substitute Star Sense or any product for mount in my outlook on product threads,,, just my take
"I know there are sometimes flaws in a production line and a lemon or two get dealt, but you figure all the mounts they sell and how many complain, whats the percentage? I know some people would *BLEEP* if you hung them with a new rope, and others complain because that seems to be the natural state of things, and some others may have gotten the lemon,, and there are those that are dealing in increments and using a medium quality mount (but a very good one) and may be disappointed that it comes in a little short??? That is my take on it so far but I do think that both mounts are a really a solid amature astronomer mount and can be used in serious backyard, driveway video/photography",
Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6057703 - 09/01/13 01:39 PM

Hi,
Great review. I just have one comment. How does having a bad polar alignment cause bad slews on an aligned mount. Once the mount is aligned, the goto's should be dead on. Even if the polar alignment is off. I'm pretty sure.
Hopefully you will get clearer skies and can verify how accurate the goto's are.

Neilson

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6057724 - 09/01/13 01:54 PM

Great review oo_void, with a lot of good points. The sort of performance you got has been what I see.

Regarding Albeiro. My guess is that it's above 70 deg altitude for you. The default limits are 0 to 70 deg. I've already pointed that this doesn't make sense for a GEM. It's easy to change the limits.

It would be useful if you join TeamCelestron and post what you saw to the StarSense section, that's the most effective way of getting this back to the developers.

I've found that I've had little need to add multiple calibration positions but as you say, if you slew to an object and it's not there add a calibration position and try again.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Raginar]
      #6057817 - 09/01/13 02:52 PM

Quote:

A 80mm widefield with a small camera coupled to Astrotortilla will get you dead-on every time you slew. I think you could throw that together for just about 400 bucks.

You'd need a laptop at your mount though.

Not only that. It wouldn't do the basic alignment of a Celestron mount. Only the StarSense, SkyQ, or NexRemote can do that.

scopenitout

Reged: 08/24/13

Loc: Mt. Belzoni
      #6057826 - 09/01/13 02:55 PM

Finally, an actual review. Thank you oo void.

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: scopenitout]
      #6057886 - 09/01/13 03:23 PM

We had a "crunch" happen with one our members last night, so I could see the need for the 70 degree limit, out of the box. I also forgot to mention that acquisition and solve times were quite good, on par or even better than what I get in Maxim DL and PinPoint.

Another thing I noticed, Sky Tour seems to have been drastically improved. I only started it and hit the first target, but couldn't continue due to hit and miss with all the clouds. There's also a new "Identify" feature for those times you just want to slew around and find something interesting.

Edited by oo_void (09/01/13 03:29 PM)

Tiny
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/02/08

#6058069 - 09/01/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Tiny,
Looks like you got lucky because they are listed as "stock status: on back order" on Skies Unlimited site.

I ordered from Astronomics after OPT told me they had over 100 backordered and only got 10 in. Astronomics has quit a few on Backorder also.

neilson

Oh bummer. Guess I did get lucky at that. Not too lucky though considering soggy New England weather has kept it in the box.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6058313 - 09/01/13 09:15 PM

Oo void...can u explain how a bad polar alignment would have got in the way of calibrating the scope with the camera?

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
      #6058370 - 09/01/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Great review. I just have one comment. How does having a bad polar alignment cause bad slews on an aligned mount. Once the mount is aligned, the goto's should be dead on. Even if the polar alignment is off. I'm pretty sure.
Hopefully you will get clearer skies and can verify how accurate the goto's are.

Neilson

I think that's what made the go-to off for them, polar align wasn't "good enough"?

I haven't had the chance to test my starsense with either SE or AVX mounts yet. However I believe this product is going to be able to do a lot more than it can right now.

The front "dew shield", I call it that because there is no lenses in it, is two separate parts. The nose is about 3/4" and rest of "dew shield" is about a inch, 1 3/4" total. I don't see why they would make the nose thread off unless there are future plans to add lenses/ota for guiding.

You could auto align, then add the ota and set it to guiding.

Or possibly use it for imaging. It has the same chip as the qhy5 as noted earlier. So a 2" or 1 1/4" nose piece isn't out of the picture just yet.

There is a lot of speculation from non-owners/users as to price and functionality. And as stated before you get a controller for both a alt-azm and cgem, that alone will cost you $300 if bought seperatly and without all the functionality. Included is two mounting brackets and a camera that has a lot of potential.

Time will tell how good it will be, and maybe I'm wrong on the imaging and guiding. Maybe I just spent $310 on junk, I don't know yet. If it doesn't work for me I'll definitely post about it, but I believe it will be worth every penny I spent.

Edit: I was told from Highpoint that they had over 100 backorders and only got ten in also. Happy I ordered mine in January and didn't cancel because of pushed release dates. So if you didn't order yet I would assume skiesunlimited would be the place to order from, seeing as Tiny just ordered and got one, and maybe you can get one from the next batch.

Edited by palmer570 (09/01/13 10:09 PM)

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: palmer570]
      #6058562 - 09/02/13 12:43 AM

In response to the polar alignment comments ... My alignment last night consisted of no more than a compass and a guess. It was so bad that I had some object drifting out of FoV within 120s depending on sky region. Polaris wasn't consistently visible due to cloud cover and I was too lazy to do an ASPA.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6058688 - 09/02/13 04:19 AM

I still do not understand what polar alignment has to do with aligning the camera with the ota.
Nor what it has to do with accurate goto's.
And please explain what seeing Polaris has to do with ASPA?

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6058803 - 09/02/13 08:15 AM

If the polar alignment is off then the mount will behave as though it is at a different Latitude/Longitude. Hence why the object where drifting out of the FOV. The mount only uses the RA when tracking a object and the arch it creates wasn't matching the movements of the sky.

If you were able to do the alignment process in ten seconds then ten go-to's in the next ten seconds they would probably be dead on. However as time goes on the difference of the mounts model of the sky and actual sky gets farther off.

This can make aligning the OTA and camera difficult if not impossible. Because if you go back to same star to re-align the cam/ota it will be farther out of FOV then it was ten minutes ago. So the offset the camera previously adjusted for is now greater.

OO void stated he couldn't see Polaris to do a traditional Polar align. Also was too lazy to use ASPA. With the rolling clouds ASPA may have proved difficult.

The basis for GEM's is correct polar alignment. The farther its off the worse they perform.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: palmer570]
      #6058924 - 09/02/13 09:49 AM

Quote:

The basis for GEM's is correct polar alignment. The farther its off the worse they perform.

For tracking? Yeah. For go-to? Not so much. Not the Celestrons, anyway. A fellow club member accidentally polar aligned on Kochab one night and his go-tos were great, though his tracking was lousy, of course.

jw54

Reged: 11/22/05

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
      #6059002 - 09/02/13 10:49 AM

I've tried my StarSense on a SE6 and NS11 and don't have too much to add to oo_void's excellent comments. Although Celestron says it doesn't work on a NSGPS it worked on my wedge mounted 11 with the HC attached to AUX port one and the camera plugged into port two.

The only problem besides trying to plug in the controller on my SE6 with my fat fingers was the machine screws for the original red dot finder weren't long enough to attach the StarSense mount.

The second night on my NS11 went much quicker once I figured out I where the wedge setting was located. I wish Celestron had gone into a little more detail in their manual describing the various HC menu options. Although I had read the manual a few times before first use it took me a while to get the camera calibrated to the center of the scope. But once I had that done it easily put objects on my Mallincam's chip.

John

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: rmollise]
      #6059051 - 09/02/13 11:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For tracking? Yeah. ...

fwiw ... my first goto system in the mid 90's was a vixen skysensor2000, followed by the PC version. It features the option of either aligned or unaligned equatorial mode. Goto's AND tracking is very good with no need for any sort of polar alignment (not considering field rotation for long-duration e/exposure). iirc there was a test report in S&T that had it pointed 25° away from Polaris with no tracking problems at all. Extremely useful in situations when Polaris is hard to sight, or you want to just plop your gear down and start aligning.

Imagine my surprise when a decade+ later, using Meade/Celestron GEM's, they do not have a non-aligned EQ mode!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: core]
      #6059093 - 09/02/13 11:47 AM

I have a test request. Can someone use a camera setup during alignment with a bullseye or grid. Knowing your field of view and grid pattern, could you quantify the pointing accuracy of the ss vs the manual method. Looking for objective numbers.

Thanks a bunch!

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6059392 - 09/02/13 02:20 PM

Polar alignment good or bad hardly affects goto's ...why would it?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6059453 - 09/02/13 02:54 PM

Not adressing PA at all but actuall pointinh accuracy. The goto pointing on my CGEM runs from +-2 arc minutes to +-5 arc minutes depending upon how carefully I do a 2+4. I am wanting to know how the SS compares.

Thanks

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Stew57]
      #6059465 - 09/02/13 03:01 PM

Buried in my videos is the info you need. Going to be doing more testing tonight maybe and for sure tomorrow.

With Celestron 8" EDgeHD and a Canon T1i I am at 37.71 x 25.14 archmin with pixel res of .48.

I'll re-do the bulls eye test for ya and have it asap.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6059779 - 09/02/13 06:23 PM

We had some fun with the StarSense this evening. I tried it on my Astro Society's CPC1100 in a dome. I've not tried it with a fork mount before, or in a dome.

It all worked as usual, able to detect enough stars to align even in the twilight. The SS seems to be able to tell that it's on a wedge. I did fine a wedge option and set that, maybe that helped.

I started with a manual align so I had time to get the dome pointed in the correct direction but discovered that I could drive the dome fast enough to keep up with an auto align. The dome synchronisation didn't work until after it was aligned, then it was fine.

Almost everything was in the EP - although we cheated a bit there because one of our members had brought a 13mm Ethos. We started referring to our Hyperion EPs as narrow field

The Swan Nebula was on the edge of the field so I added a calibration position where the scope was pointing, did another goto and there it was, in the centre.

I didn't do any analysis, we just used it and it worked.

Chris

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58946

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics