Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)
NeilShapiro

Reged: 07/16/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: core]
      #6063492 - 09/04/13 10:29 PM

Hi Peter
I had it out tonight and was upset that M57 did not appear in any database. In fact when in the Messier catalog I tried to manually enter M57 and the data for M63 would instead show!! I was going a bit nuts until reading your note here re: slew limits. I have a AVX mount with an 8" Edge. I can't see how the tube would hit a leg but I am new to GEM mounts. Think I could set the limit to 90 and be OK? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6063493 - 09/04/13 10:31 PM

Ahh thats a shame Stew. I have been using skysfari app on my android phone with bluetooth connection to hand controller to feed gps and dt/tim to my hand controllers on my mounts but so far that doesn't work on the new starsense hc either, so I am also back to manual entry of dt/time [no real time clock on my mounts] latitude and longitude into the hand controller, which I havent had to do for quite a while.

I hope you will report that the GPS unit is locking the HC to Celestron or whoever you bought your unit from so they can work on a formware fix, or perhaps tell you a way around it.

Cheers,
Chris

C8er

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6063504 - 09/04/13 10:37 PM

I should add that the skysfari app on my phone is working with the new starsense HC in every way I can see so far except not being able to pass location/dt/time info to the new HC. The skysafari app is able to send successful gotos and seems to be syncing itself correctly to the position of the mount that I tried it on with the new HC. I think that was on my CG-5

aberrs

Reged: 08/23/11

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #6063599 - 09/04/13 11:54 PM

I thought I saw, while fussing the other night, a manual align option, but I could be wrong.... though I am not quite sure why one would want to do a manual align, once one has this newfangled device attached to the scope. Not sure what else it is good for?

Also, I noted when doing my setup that I THINK the manual was missing a click on the 'align' button when setting the center of the starSense to the center of your viewfield. Anyone else get befuddled by this?

Edited by aberrs (09/05/13 12:02 AM)

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: aberrs]
      #6063655 - 09/05/13 12:45 AM

Seems my freeze up problems are resolved thanks to Celestron. I've been working with them the last few days on a solution. I can say after extensive testing tonight I didn't have any problems.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6063662 - 09/05/13 12:54 AM

That is great news

Carrera991

Reged: 10/27/12

What a cluster new [Re: Stew57]
      #6063717 - 09/05/13 02:05 AM

Can't get mine to work. Using the Celestron GPS or entering the values manually the scope either points to middle earth or off in the trees. I am using a CGE Pro. Also get some scary slews. Hopefully the mount was not damaged. Taking it back tomorrow. Very disappointed. Incredible waste of time.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Stew57]
      #6063721 - 09/05/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

That is great news

Well hang on, I may have spoken too soon. Having a different issue now that I need to verify is Starsense and not my mount. TBC

C8er

#6063754 - 09/05/13 03:19 AM

Michael, as someone who also has seen some similar lockups can you share the resolution with us? Was the cure a new firmware version or what? There may be plenty of peopel with these lockups and iot would be great to hear what the answer was for you.

Cheers,
Chris

what was the resolution?
Quote:

Seems my freeze up problems are resolved thanks to Celestron. I've been working with them the last few days on a solution. I can say after extensive testing tonight I didn't have any problems.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: C8er]
      #6063805 - 09/05/13 05:47 AM

The problems that Chris (C8er) is having are because he is in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. In New Zealand. They do not apply in the Northern Hemisphere. If they had people would have noticed.

It's quite possible this is the reason for his problems, it's difficult to get all the sign changes right moving from N to S.

Yes, Celestron had a beta tester in the Southern hemisphere, in South Africa, but he didn't send much feedback. Shame they didn't have Chris (C8er).

BTW Chris, how did you get one? I thought they were only available in the USA.

Chris

JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6063932 - 09/05/13 08:43 AM

Last night's first light with SS was disappointing, to say the least. The sky was dark and clear with lots of stars - perfect for the first run. I pre-entered time/date and Lat/Lon during the day, anticipating that the GPS wasn't going to offer that info anymore. On startup of the SS I pressed the align button and chose auto align. I was pleased to see that it prompted for moving the mount to the switches. Inadvertently, I still had the SkySync GPS accessory plugged into my CGE Pro. When SS began its alignment it promptly slewed low towards the south. It was pointing just over my observatory wall. It captured an image and then slewed BELOW the southern horizon! It sat there for a long time. A seriously long time. So I hit the back button a couple of times and the alignment aborted.

I unplugged the GPS and cycled mount power, thinking the GPS was freezing SS. This time, it got a good alignment after about 3 images. So I directed it to slew to Andromeda. The scope slewed to the northern horizon! BTW, I'm at about 39N Lat and 84W Lon.

I cycled again. This time the scope slewed to the floor! To my dismay, I discovered the SS cable was wrapped around one of the mount's axes and was trapped. I had to cycle again, and manually slew the scope to free the cable. Luckily, it wasn't damaged.

I tried several more times and the scope insisted on pointing down. I aborted align and reset the HC to defaults. Of course, I'd now lost time/date and Lat/Lon data. Lat/Lon numbers were back in the house on my desk (no I don't have them memorized). I gave up.

I noted that though the new 4 line display gives lots more info the display itself is the same size as the original HC so everything is smaller. And the back lighting seems very low, even when pushing it up to 99. I had a hard time reading the prompts and numbers displayed. Next time, I'll take my reading glasses out with me!

I did note that I can scroll to the time/date source and choose GPS but I also noted that when the GPS was still plugged in that SS didn't choose it. The manual states that SS will pick the best source. I don't think the CGE Pro has an RTC but that was initially selected.

Also, I later realized that the Lat/Lon input didn't seem to have a field for direction, i.e. N/S Lat, E/W Lon. Am I missing this? Does the SS assume northern hemisphere and western Lon? That seems improbable.

So, anyone else having these issues? Anyone have solutions if so? Or do I have a dud unit? Appreciate any input. I'm bummed...

Jeff

JeffBosworth

#6063935 - 09/05/13 08:45 AM

Can you advise what the solution is? Thanks...

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6063942 - 09/05/13 08:49 AM

More problems.
SS not working with GPS device plugged into the CGE PRO?
Backlight too dim to read the hand contol?
Alignments all over the place?

Anyone have a SS that operates perfectly?

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: HowardK]
      #6063960 - 09/05/13 09:02 AM

Yes I have read several happy people with it, but most on here are posting because they have problems and are seeking help or input with the device/scope/ or mount... Just a perspective,
Kasey

JeffBosworth

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6063978 - 09/05/13 09:13 AM

Correct. I want this to work and I'm seeking advice from those who have not had significant issues. I'm not bashing the device, just trying to make it do what it's supposed to. I don't know if it's the device or user error. By describing my experience maybe someone will see that I'm screwing up somehow. - Jeff

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#6064076 - 09/05/13 10:13 AM

Hi,
I am very disappointed to hear they removed all the normal methods of alignment like 1 star, 2 star, and 3 star. If in the future your Starsense has any problems like several are having here you don't have the option to just give up on the Starsense and do it manually. I know my 2+4 alignment works every time no matter what with dead on accuracy and I think we should have the option to use it in the event we have problems with the Starsense. Or just want to. It's as though they were in a rush to ship this out and left out some things in the Firmware.

Neilson

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6064142 - 09/05/13 10:49 AM

Yes I was surprised especially when Celestron said the SS HC had all the functionality of the regular HC. I agree with those saying the display is too small. I would rather have the larger scrolling text. I guess the youngsters would rather have the extra lines.

With the SS it looks like you are married to the camera. I guess when traveling out to a dark site one would be wise to bring the regular controller as a backup.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6064170 - 09/05/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I am very disappointed to hear they removed all the normal methods of alignment like 1 star, 2 star, and 3 star. If in the future your Starsense has any problems like several are having here you don't have the option to just give up on the Starsense and do it manually.

How hard would it be to plug in your original HC?

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: Stew57]
      #6064190 - 09/05/13 10:59 AM

First @JeffBosworth, why not just select the closet city or at least try that route first if getting the actual coordinates is being difficult. The DB for locations was pretty complete. A little more detail also, the routine usually consists first of a slew to the west, then a slew to towards zenith. The only thing I could thing of is that your index location was off.

Second, if you want to do a manual align (and yes, I do remember seeing an option or something similarly worded for it for some reason), just plug the old controller back in. Is it that hard? @HowardK, just wow! Talk about the uniformed fanning the flames.

Edited by oo_void (09/05/13 11:04 AM)

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: rmollise]
      #6064240 - 09/05/13 11:25 AM

One reason I was buying this is because I have the old style hand controller. That is part of the reason I am willing to pay this price. I have no desire to carry around that old controller in case the Starsense stops working. I intended to put it in storage never to be seen again, unless I sell my mount. And Celestron did claim this controller will have all the functionality of the regular controller. If something happens to the Starsense after the warranty is up I would like to think that at least I still can use the new controller.

Neilson

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51479

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics