Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: kray1]
      #5614821 - 01/10/13 01:45 AM

"...and less light to tame the views of Jupiter and Saturn."

First, such an instrument is not at all ideal, nor intended, for planetary observation. To *want* less aperture so as to deliver a dimmer image is tantamount to sacrilege. Filters will do this, and they will not come close to harming the image as much as the optics themselves likely will at the required magnification. And if the optics could stand up to it, increasing the magnification to the point of a 1.5mm or smaller exit pupil will suffice to make the image surface brightness low enough for 'comfort.'

If you want to observe the planets, there are far better instruments available at rather lower cost.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5615274 - 01/10/13 11:10 AM

Kevin B recommends a max magnification of 47x with these binos. Glenn's comments above are right on target IMO.

kray1

Reged: 06/22/10

Loc: NC
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5617215 - 01/11/13 12:44 PM

I suppose that I really should be using a telescope however,my experinces with monocular, upside down and reversed images leaves me totally unsatisfied. As a casual observer, i need something quick and easy to take outside and view. Also, the expense of a binoviewer setup for infrequent use seems a waste.

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: kray1]
      #5617261 - 01/11/13 01:12 PM

Alas, one of the most important lessons I've learned both from experience and from discussions here on Cloudy Nights is that when it comes to amateur astronomy, everything is a compromise. I, too, once hoped that a binocular telescope (like my Oberwerk 45° BT100) would be an all purpose instrument. It isn't, even with interchangeable eps giving me a view up to 85X with the eps I have. The fact is, as has already been noted in this thread, that binoculars aren't quite the thing for planetary viewing, both because you cannot reach the high magnifications that planets require and because getting a tightly merged image at high binocular power is very difficult.

Binoculars aren't useless for planetary viewing, by any means, but you need a telescope to get the best out of planets.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: Joad]
      #5617291 - 01/11/13 01:32 PM

I will admit that I am quite happy about how well the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn can look in my 30x80. Back in high school my first binocular was a 30x70 and I much enjoyed the Moon and planets then as well. I'm satisfied "settling" with that when I don't have the desire to get my telescope out and set-up... which lately is most of the time.

But I think much of it also is expectations. I don't expect any binocular to do that well on the planets, so my perception with the 30x binoculars is positive. If I had a BT, I'm sure that I would be expecting much more along those lines. Which is why I'm not convinced yet that I should even consider getting one. Another big issue with me is weight, though this 70mm should be quite manageable. But anything bigger takes me well over 10 lbs. and so becomes more difficult to move around with.

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: Joad]
      #5617535 - 01/11/13 04:16 PM

I think a good pair of binoculars could be an all purpose instrument if you are clear on what binoculars are for.
True wide fields (of more than 1 degree) and high magnifications (above 150x) are not possible, so why ask planetary detail to a binocular?... it would be like asking a big, long focal length telescope to frame the whole constellation of Orion...
I often observe the planets with my binoculars, but never searching for true planetary detail, just to get amazed by the views of the planet passing trough or nearby some DSO's, or aligned with other planets or the Moon, etc..
Also, even with the biggest binoculars, the idea is the simplest form of direct observation... at high powers I don't think I could enjoy observing without tracking

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5617563 - 01/11/13 04:31 PM

IMO, you can never get true quality high magnifications through any optic that uses prisms.

My experience with my Binobox using quality dielectric mirrors instead of prisms shows that quite clearly.

If I could own but one optic. the TV NP127 refractor would be a good choice.

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5617618 - 01/11/13 05:18 PM

Build a Bino-Box like Bill and you will get 90% views like telescope (high magnification!!). I agreed with Joad and others and through my experience that every instrument has particular purpose.

I just recently acquired 25x100D and I do not expect to see features in Mars or see festoons in Jupiter but it shows best views of MilkyWay and some DSOs especially at a dark site.

KeithC

Reged: 08/23/06

Loc: Atlanta GA
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: OBERWERK]
      #5634047 - 01/20/13 10:26 PM

Kevin,

How does the image quality of your new BT 70 with 16x eyepieces compare with the 15x70 Ultra? Are they similar?

OBERWERK
Vendor

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: OH
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: KeithC]
      #5634835 - 01/21/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Kevin,

How does the image quality of your new BT 70 with 16x eyepieces compare with the 15x70 Ultra? Are they similar?

So close, I have to call it a tie. Impressive for the BT-70-45 considering the extra prisms.

KeithC

Reged: 08/23/06

Loc: Atlanta GA
Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: OBERWERK]
      #5634912 - 01/21/13 12:53 PM

Thanks Kevin!

curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

Re: "new" 70mm 45s new [Re: KeithC]
      #5636950 - 01/22/13 01:48 PM

This BT-70 can be used with a pair of 8-24mm zoom eyepieces?

Fomalhaut
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/16/08

Loc: Switzerland
Re: "new" 70mm 45s [Re: OBERWERK]
      #5638236 - 01/23/13 04:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin,

So close, I have to call it a tie. Impressive for the BT-70-45 considering the extra prisms.

Would be interesting to hear that said by an independent user.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3488

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics