Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Rob55

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Fort Polk, LA USA
Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: Mike4242]
      #5629547 - 01/18/13 09:28 AM

Mike

Appreciate your post. It gives me a much better plan for developing my EP collection.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rob55

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: soliari]
      #5629564 - 01/18/13 09:45 AM

Earlier poster uses 4.4mm on a good night.

Rob55

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5629581 - 01/18/13 09:57 AM

Spy satellites?! never even considered it. But what are the chances three meteors would be moving in the same direction at the same time close enough to be seen through the eyepiece. And, yes, this was the very first time and target for my scope. I an an absolute complete novice. The sighting was pure unplanned accident.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: Rob55]
      #5629765 - 01/18/13 11:32 AM

When beginning, a lot of the things I saw was pure unplanned accident...........

...and sometimes it still is......

Rob55

#5629822 - 01/18/13 11:59 AM

The 1.25" 13 mm arrived in the mail yesterday, and not a moment too soon. Social obligations prevented my setting up the scope last night, but viewing conditions were beautiful. Luckily the trash can filled three times and I took my time taking it out. The moon was awesome. Orion fully visable. I was praying conditions would be good in the morning as Saturn should be lurking in the sky.

180545FEB13 35 F hazy and dawn's light is rimming the East. The big dipper is fully visable. Sighted Dubhe and Merak for the first time with the 25mm and switched to the 13mm. It wasn't too impressive a difference. The lens did increase the size of the stars slightly and I noticed no significant dimming of the ep. Stars go right to the edge of the FOV without any significant change when they drop off. The lens has a few darker spots on it. Makes me wonder about cleaning. I'll have to research that. It did give me opportunity to fine tune the finder scope and observe the impact turning the knobs had at higher magnification. Anyhow fished it out of D Bay for $15 and free shipping, and it is zero calories, sodium and fat free.
I didn't think the 13mm was going to make the dipper that interesting and I set up to see Saturn.

When I turned South there were only two bright objects in the Graying sky: Spica? and Jupiter? I'm still stumbling around here. Some other stars are visable, but fading fast. Well, Left, East is bigger and brighter; Let's see. The transition from looking over the tube to the finder was easy. In the 8x finder it looks like a star.I have my doubts. Then to the 25mm. I see rings, well ring, and there was definite separation between the ring and the planet. I cannot believe how happy this makes me. Then I switch to the 13mm, Wow! That made a difference, twice the size. Barely visable lines of separation fade in and out in the rings defining the outer third. No noticable color. Two companion stars are visable to the left through the finder, West? I tracked Saturn for about 45 minutes while occasionally scanning the SSE horizion looking for Venus or Mercury to no avail. Well maybe next month. When I quit Saturn and stars were still easily visable through the scope but Saturn was barely visable to the naked eye.
This could become addicting. Predicting clear skies tonight. Happy MLK weekend.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5629867 - 01/18/13 12:22 PM

"This could become addicting."

Nah, it's just habit forming.......

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5630012 - 01/18/13 02:08 PM

Very cool to read this report.Now I can't wait to use my 102 and the two new ep's. Looking forward to seeing Saturn too.

Rob55

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5630863 - 01/19/13 12:12 AM

First look at the moon tonight. Used the lens cover to stop the scope. It really helped contrast. My wife looked through for the first time. She loved it. After the moon we went to Jupiter. Seeing was good and I put in the 13mm ep then told my wife to have a look. She bent to the ep and not being one given to hyperbolic statement she said. "holy s*it!" I think she liked it.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5633087 - 01/20/13 12:15 PM

Very cool Rob. My wife said the same when I first bought my dob and showed her the moon and then Jupiter. I had my first ( real) light last night with the 102 and loved it. I'm waiting for my paradigm ep's to arrive, hopefully on Tuesday,and see how those work out. I posted my first light in the beginner forum.

Rob55

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5635779 - 01/21/13 09:43 PM

I will check out the first light. Let me know how you like the EP.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
      #5637281 - 01/22/13 04:25 PM

So glad to read these posts and hear of people seeing Saturn through a refractor! The 102 is a really great scope. It often surprised me and seemed much bigger - refractors are hard to beat. I still use mine a lot, and by the way it works great with a solar filter, which is what I use it most often for these days. Good luck and keep us posted. GW

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light [Re: Glen A W]
      #5638458 - 01/23/13 09:08 AM

Rob the supplied ep works out good fr me since I used mostly the 25mm plossl with my dob. The Celestron 25mm has a wider fov which I found nice for the clusters. My two paradigm ed's arrived today but it will be too cold tonight for viewing. But who knows, I may just haul the scope out for a quickie.

bigj4708

Reged: 06/08/13

#5933843 - 06/21/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the new scope! My Omni 102 sees a lot of use for lunar and planetary viewing and I enjoy the scope a lot -- it gives very sharp an contrasty views. Jovian moon transit and the GRS are easy targets for the Omni 102. Last spring when Mars was at opposition my Omni 102 gave better views than my XT10i on some nights. Also, IMO, the CG-4 mount is perfect for the Omni 102 and in general an underrated mount. And as csrlice mentioned, turning just one knob to track a planet at high power is much nicer than nudging a dob.

As far as eyepieces go, I've had good results with the ES 82 eyepieces. My highest power eyepiece is a Meade 5000 HD-60 4.5mm which is about the limit of the Omni 102. The HD-60 works really well on nights of good seeing and gives nice contrasty views. On nights of average seeing my 6.7mm ES 82 is about the maximum useful magnification.

Also, a 2" diagonal is worthy upgrade to the Omni 102. I got a 2" Astro-Tech dielectric for mine. It's $119 at Astronomics, which is a very good deal for this diagonal. Looks like they're currently out of stock though.

Astro-Tech 2" Dielectric

Is it a worthy upgrade because it allows you to use 2 inch eyepieces? or do you actually see more with it?

bigj4708

Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: bigj4708]
      #5933850 - 06/21/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats on the new scope! My Omni 102 sees a lot of use for lunar and planetary viewing and I enjoy the scope a lot -- it gives very sharp an contrasty views. Jovian moon transit and the GRS are easy targets for the Omni 102. Last spring when Mars was at opposition my Omni 102 gave better views than my XT10i on some nights. Also, IMO, the CG-4 mount is perfect for the Omni 102 and in general an underrated mount. And as csrlice mentioned, turning just one knob to track a planet at high power is much nicer than nudging a dob.

As far as eyepieces go, I've had good results with the ES 82 eyepieces. My highest power eyepiece is a Meade 5000 HD-60 4.5mm which is about the limit of the Omni 102. The HD-60 works really well on nights of good seeing and gives nice contrasty views. On nights of average seeing my 6.7mm ES 82 is about the maximum useful magnification.

Also, a 2" diagonal is worthy upgrade to the Omni 102. I got a 2" Astro-Tech dielectric for mine. It's $119 at Astronomics, which is a very good deal for this diagonal. Looks like they're currently out of stock though.

Astro-Tech 2" Dielectric

Is it a worthy upgrade because it allows you to use 2 inch eyepieces? or do you actually see more with it?

This is one of my favorite threads because I'm getting my omni XLT 102 in just over a week and I have two eyepieces the ES 8.8 82º and the 20 68º just waiting to plop in. I am looking at a meade 2 inch diagonal so I can get a fat 82º piece for it.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #5933985 - 06/22/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

Yep, it will let you use 2" eyepieces. The 2" eyepieces are for low power wide fields of view. You can get a much larger field of view with a 2" eyepiece than a 1.25" eyepiece at certain focal lengths. They are great for large open star clusters like M7 in Scorpious or M45, the Plieades, in Taurus. They're also good for just panning around the Milky Way and finding stuff.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5934579 - 06/22/13 12:54 PM

An Omni 102XLT, a 2" diagonal, and a 24mm ES82, dark skies (and an OIII filter if you have one)....and you're set for the night. You can bring the other stuff...but it might not get much use.....Just picked up an ES100* 14mm....gonna try that out on the moon tonight. It'll make a great companion eyepiece to the ES82* 24mm.

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #5935297 - 06/22/13 08:31 PM

I can get 200x with my Celestron 102-GT f/10, but it is a little soft. Not bad though.

bigj4708

#5936956 - 06/23/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

An Omni 102XLT, a 2" diagonal, and a 24mm ES82, dark skies (and an OIII filter if you have one)....and you're set for the night. You can bring the other stuff...but it might not get much use.....Just picked up an ES100* 14mm....gonna try that out on the moon tonight. It'll make a great companion eyepiece to the ES82* 24mm.

Awesome! Let us know what the 100º EP is like for that scope. I'm super interested in what your impressions are.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #5937059 - 06/23/13 08:24 PM

I just realized I answered a very old question in my last post. I looked too quickly and thought bigj4708 was asking about the 2" diagonal. Doh!

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Celestron OMNI XLT 102 First Light new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5941511 - 06/26/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

I can get 200x with my Celestron 102-GT f/10, but it is a little soft. Not bad though.

Mine gets soft around 400x, but that's on the lunar terminator. For a low-cost four incher, that is awesome. GW

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4959

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics