Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Jeff Kieft

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Colorado
New visual back - useful? new
      #5638038 - 01/22/13 11:43 PM

Hi all, new poster (but long-time Cloudy Nights classified's shopper and reader).

I recently added a 12" LX200 GPS to my stable (I got a great deal on it used, its my first SCT) and I am considering buying some additional eyepieces. One is likely to be a longer focal length (>35mm), wider-field eyepiece (68 degrees? 72 degrees?), probably 2" (all mine are 1.25" now). To maximize the performance of the new eyepiece, I am considering replacing the visual back with a 2" version as the back that came with the scope had only a 1.5" aperture (but the microfocuser and diagonal are 2"). From what I can tell the one product out there that does this is the "Eye Opener" for around $70-$75. This isn't cheap for a pretty simple threaded ring...but I'm willing to pay if it really makes a difference.

Has anyone had any direct experience with these? Did it make a noticable difference? Worth the purchase? Recommended?

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: Jeff Kieft]
      #5638062 - 01/22/13 11:58 PM

I don't know about the Eye Opener...never used one, but I can suggest that you to take a look at the Baader ClickLock Visual Backs for 3.25" SCT threads like you have on your 12" Meade SCT. I know it's a little more expensive than the Eye Opener, but I've found the ClickLock visual back to be fantastic. I don't believe the Eye Opener can match the functionality of the ClickLock design.

Patrick

Jeff Kieft

Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5638078 - 01/23/13 12:05 AM

That looks like a cool item, but I don't think the electronic microfocuser would thread onto it...

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: Jeff Kieft]
      #5638107 - 01/23/13 12:31 AM

Quote:

That looks like a cool item, but I don't think the electronic microfocuser would thread onto it...

What microfocuser are you referring to?

Patrick

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5638175 - 01/23/13 01:41 AM

The zero image shift microfocuser... Not much use accept for planetary.. It was Meade's answer to mirror flop/shifting.. another reason for their demise.. A gimmicky item that was too long, and not enough focus travel.. And used some lame proprietary dovetail connector to connect to their microfocuser..

LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5638343 - 01/23/13 07:44 AM

I used a Peterson Eye-Opener with my LX 200 10" classic along with a JMI Motofocus for years with nice results. You can run the JMI off the Meade keypad. I'm not sure that I could see vignetting without it, but using a refractor-style 2 " diagonal eliminated the problem of dealing with the SCT threads which were constantly getting stuck. It just made sense to open up the back, since the field stop of some 2" eyepieces is greater than the SCT thread diameter.

Astrophysics also makes a 2" adapter, and that is the one I'm using on my current scope, a 14" HD. Not expensive, and very nicely made.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: New visual back - useful? [Re: Jeff Kieft]
      #5638498 - 01/23/13 09:26 AM

Another option is the Astro-Physics SCT to 2" back. I believe that these are made for both Meade and Celestron scopes.

Jeff Kieft

Re: New visual back - useful? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5641622 - 01/24/13 10:10 PM

Actually, there is no dovetail...it has plenty of travel if one rough focuses first and sets up the scope properly before use...and gives very good focus on all objects...again, if one sets it up and uses it correctly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics