Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5632250 - 01/19/13 09:32 PM

Quote:

Lol Terra, I just placed an order for 150R and i just got on here to read your comment><. I hope I made a great choice. Also one of the review I have read said to minimize CA, use w 56 green filter. Is tjat a same filter as #56 green filter? Any recommendation on how I can minimized CA? Other than buying another scope?

What about picking up a Baader Semi Apo filter?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SeptemberEquinox
sage

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5632328 - 01/19/13 10:16 PM

I've read couple of reviews on the omni xlt 150r with semi apo, they said semi apo doesn't do much where as Sirius mv1(not sure where to get that) minimize about 60% of it. But he mentioned w 56 green filter killed the fringing/halo completely but of course planets turn green. I am wondering what do most of you veterans use or have tried on fast achromatic refractor to view bright objects.

Is w 56 green filter samething as #56 green filter?

Edited by SeptemberEquinox (01/20/13 12:55 AM)

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5632662 - 01/20/13 05:48 AM

Congrats on the new scope! First, and foremost, enjoy using it for what it excels at. PLEASE remember that this is a specialized scope. Many observers get frustrated and become dissatisfied when they try to use a specialized instrument for all around use. If some sort of filter works for you, great. If not, you can always get a second scope specialized for the opposite type of observing later. Like I said above, a 7" Mak would be a perfect match.

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor new [Re: watcher]
      #5637918 - 01/22/13 10:41 PM

thank you watcher

guess what y'all, it's been shining in San Diego for about 10 days straight. As soon as I received my telescope, ha! Cloud appeared.

Edited by SeptemberEquinox (01/23/13 02:34 AM)

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
      #5638437 - 01/23/13 08:54 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I concur with the 2 scope suggestion. I have 6" f/6.5 achromat and it is a very nice rich field and DSO observing instrument on a good mount. Paired to this is also a f/9 4" ED doublet that is just perfect for planetary and lunar, as well as terrestrial daytime.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5638439 - 01/23/13 08:57 AM

"I am wondering what do most of you veterans use or have tried on fast achromatic refractor to view bright objects."

....break out a longer focal length refractor, APOs are just too $$$$$$$$ for me........

Truthfully, with a fast acro, CA is something you're just gonna learn to live with.

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5638532 - 01/23/13 09:53 AM

I had a short session last night, viewing Jupiter, moon, m42, and Pleiades in a partly cloudy night. I do not think CA is bad at all, I pushed my magnification to about 250 on Jupiter and I could see the details on Jupiter. The fringing didn't bother me at all. As soon as I receive #56 green filter, I will see if there are improvements on seeing more details. Orion nebula and Pleiades didn't look that great, because of the cloud(I hope that's why it didn't appear as great as AR127). So far I loved it, even when it was only 20 mins.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5638616 - 01/23/13 10:37 AM

Just keep looking....that's what its about.....glad you had clear skies. Love the Omni line.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
42 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4016

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics