Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
SchrödingersCat
sage

Reged: 11/02/08

Small lot anodizing new
      #5629520 - 01/18/13 09:09 AM

Can anyone recommend an anodizing company that will do very small lots? I have three pcs of aluminum angle 2” by 3”.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Small lot anodizing new [Re: SchrödingersCat]
      #5632465 - 01/19/13 11:54 PM

You might contact Moonlight. He does his own anodizing and I know that he has done custom Delrin parts for people.

don clement
Vendor (Clement Focuser)

Reged: 02/02/11

Loc: Running Springs, California
      #5632608 - 01/20/13 03:51 AM

All the anodizers I have delt with in So. Cal area will do a small lot but have a minimum lot charge of around $65 for type II anodizing, higher charge for hard anodizing and perhaps colors.I wouldn't know as I only do black.

Don Clement

John Carruthers
Skiprat

Reged: 02/02/07

Loc: Kent, UK
      #5632653 - 01/20/13 05:18 AM

If you have a battery charger and sulphuric acid you can do it yourself. You'll need acid, caustic soda, organic dye (Dylon fabric dye or printer ink) good gloves, a dc power source and various acid proof containers. (and an understanding partner).
http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml

step by step;
http://astro.neutral.org/anodise5.shtml

Edited by John Carruthers (01/20/13 05:19 AM)

SchrödingersCat
sage

Reged: 11/02/08

Re: Small lot anodizing new [Re: John Carruthers]
      #5632826 - 01/20/13 09:44 AM

Thanks all,
I will opt for the out sourcing of the task (I simply don't want to deal with the environmental hazard).
The parts are part of a mirror cell. Black is preferred.
I will contact Moonlite, but in the event that they decline, please keep the suggestions coming.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5632858 - 01/20/13 09:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks all,
I will opt for the out sourcing of the task (I simply don't want to deal with the environmental hazard).
The parts are part of a mirror cell. Black is preferred.
I will contact Moonlite, but in the event that they decline, please keep the suggestions coming.

About all I can suggest is finding a small machine shop that has anodizing done and seeing if you can get your parts included in a batch.

Jon

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5633183 - 01/20/13 01:09 PM

Should be pretty easy to find an anodizing or machine shop that will do it, especially if you live in or near a fairly large town.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Small lot anodizing new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5633224 - 01/20/13 01:28 PM

Where are you located? There's a guy near me who does anodizing of small things. Contact me (PM) and I'll get his information later this week if interested.
Thanks

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Small lot anodizing new [Re: tag1260]
      #5638172 - 01/23/13 01:38 AM

Have you considered leaving it shiny natural, after polishing with the 3M abrasive loaded nylon scrubber pads? And/or Alodine, Chroma-Coat, Iridite, etc. chromate conversion coating bath ? Yes, I know that Erin Brockovitch might not approve.

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Small lot anodizing new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5638408 - 01/23/13 08:36 AM

http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

DIY kit and instructions from the manufacturer of Moonlite products...

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Small lot anodizing [Re: neotesla]
      #5638968 - 01/23/13 01:47 PM

I wrote a small submission in 1974(?)for the Allan Mackintosh ATMT II book from Willmann-Bell.

The Moonlite material, above, is very detailed. As one can see, as was my experience, anodizing can be a space-consuming tail wagging the dog, particularly if dyeing and sealing are included.

Beware: Dyes fade in sunlight. I made some auto bumper parts which eventually faded. There are architechtural aluminum coloring processes which do not fade, but they are for industrial scale applications.

Metal Finishing magazine, and its annual or biannual handbooks , have a wealth of relevant information and applicable advertising.

H2SO4, aluminum wire to shove into the part for electrical contact, a 12v battery charger, lead or aluminum (ff. Newman at Moonlite, above)cathode, and (optionally) some caustic drain cleaner Drano or Red Devil, a 5-gallon bucket or two, and some de-smutter ( try to buy some from a professional shop}, would make a basic kit. It is now difficult to get de-smutter or other supplies from the manufacturers, in any but unrealisticly large amounts.

Water for the optional caustic Drano/ Red Devil solution light etch, for uniform appearance, can be heated in a microwave oven, before adding the crystals, if convenient. The water should not be boiling, but the reaction is very slow at room temperature.

Anodizing is very helpful for threaded aluminum parts.
But for many other applications, the no-current chromate conversion coatings using hexavalent chromium ( now semi-banned, but you can still get it for aircraft maintenance around airports) give attractive yellow to bronze iridescent finishes.

Trivalent chromium based baths, environmentally benign(?), are now coming in. It is greenish. I am told that one should get a good PH meter , because bath control is more important than with hexavalent chromium, which has been the standard since WW II. Hexchrome has been often simply described as Alodine, as in " make me a Xerox" (copy). Hexchrome does not occur naturally. Trichrome does, as in green leafy vegetables, in minute amounts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1189

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics