Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
gerfmon

Reged: 07/19/12

Loc: Longmont, CO
Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed
      #5639135 - 01/23/13 03:49 PM

Hi all, have a question about the Jaegers Objectives from Surplus Shed. Does anyone know how bad the edge chips are on the "seconds"? Bad enough to effect image quality? Or should this tight wad spend the extra bucks for a "perfect" objective?

I just finished a home built 80mm f/15 scope using a Towa lens. Love the scope, love the views. But now I'm thinking 4 inch f/15. I'm hooked on the tight, beautiful star views from a long focal length scope.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed new [Re: gerfmon]
      #5639221 - 01/23/13 04:41 PM

I would have the CR rep e-mail you a photo so you can see what if any chips there are.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed new [Re: GeneT]
      #5639264 - 01/23/13 05:14 PM

I got the 83 mm F/15 and the 103 mm F/15 during the last sale. They are firsts though, not seconds, and they are beautiful glass. I am currently working on the 83mm (its going into a 75mm Unitron tube with a Unitron focuser to become an 78mm F/16 "Jaegertron." Started to design the lens cell for machining out of aluminum today in fact. The 103 mm will wait for summer, but my goal is to build it on the plan of a brass and black Victorian/Steampunk scope somewhat similar to the F15 Skylight Telescopes.

My advice would be to buy firsts rather than seconds but wait for one of their sales. I got both achromats for $155 including shipping by doing that.

gerfmon

Reged: 07/19/12

Loc: Longmont, CO
Re: Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5639569 - 01/23/13 09:17 PM

Think I'll probably go ahead and spring for one of the perfect objectives..and pray I don't clamshell it getting it into the objective cell. I'd like to wait for a sale to come along, but the Jaegers are "limited quantity". With my luck they'd run out, and I'd miss out just like I did with the super rated Carton objectives from a couple of years ago.

Thanks

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5639622 - 01/23/13 09:56 PM

I have a 102mm F15 and really like the scope. Made a collimatable cell used a 4.5" aluminum tube with a used GSO focuser. Spent less than $300 for the whole thing. Made a cell for a 83mm Jaegers lens and that is in process. Problem is, I have soooo many 80mm refractors and lenses, may just have to sell that one.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5639670 - 01/23/13 10:27 PM

the super rated Carton objectives from a couple ofdid yeWith my luck they'd run out, and I'd miss out just like I with ars ago.If that ain't the truth. Strike while the iron's hot!! Mike

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5642394 - 01/25/13 11:36 AM

I bought a 103mm f/15 "second" from SS a few weeks ago. I honestly had a hard time finding blemishes on the lenses, though I think there were two tiny ones. I suppose for those looking hard enough, yes, there would be what is considered a couple of tiny flaws in both lens elements. I felt like they were non-issues, at least from a visual inspection standpoint from my perspective. I have yet to test the lens, but appearance-wise, it certainly appears darn close to perfect to me, despite being a "second." That said, I believe their site does state that the best ones will go out first, so sooner is going to net you a better set of optics, I'd think.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Jaegers Objectives From Surplus Shed new [Re: magic612]
      #5642526 - 01/25/13 12:53 PM

Most of the SS Jaegers lenses I have are good I did get one dud 83mm F15 but Fred changed it out for me without a problem. My 4" F15 is good but not perfect. It's super smooth with no astigmatism, but it is a bit under corrected for SA. Hard to quantify, but probably around 1/6 wave or so. The lens produces superb images in any case. Have a 6" F10 still wrapped up. Got that during a big sale. Bought some 6061 to make a cell, just need some time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 921

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics