Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Celestron CGE-PRO Questions
      #5639165 - 01/23/13 04:09 PM

I'm considering purchasing a CGE-PRO mount to hold my C14 and my Celestron Omni 150 F/5 and would like to hear from owners of this mount who would be able to tell me if both of these can be supported by the mount. My G11 seems just slightly undersized for this set up, but it has worked, requring a full 84 Pounds of counter weights to successfully balance this payload.
My G11 has no issues supporting my C14 and my Orion 120ST, together both are very comfortable and solid for my visual set up. The 6" refractor however, weights about 8 pounds more and seems to be too much for my current mount.
My C14 along with the 6" F/5 Celestron together weight about 75 pounds total, including tube rings, 2" diagonals and 2" eyepieces.
For owners of the CGE-PRO mount, if you ever had a G11, do you feel the CGE-PRO had more load capacity than the G11?
Though I don't have GoTo on my G11, id like to use this feature on the CGE-PRO, even if I had to back off on my 6" refractor and just use my 120ST as my piggy back scope or my TSA-102 or TSA-120.
For those that have owned this mount, whats your impression of the payload capacity of this mount and overall, how do you feel about the accuracy and electronics built into this mount?

I wont be selling my G11, I just want a second mount capable of supporting my C14 and a piggy back scope, so I can use my G11 for my 180mm APM Refractor at the same time, sometimes.

For imagine, I wouldnt use such a large piggy back scope, more than likely Id just use my TV-85 as my piggy back scope or an FS-60, so the load capacity for imaging would be considerably less.

I don't honestly trust the 90 pound payload capacity of the mount listed, though my G11 is very accurate, being rated at 62 pounds, which is supports easily for visual work.

Thanks for any information on this.

.... Ralph

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Celestron CGE-PRO Questions new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5639203 - 01/23/13 04:30 PM

I've put about 70+ on mine with about 74lbs of counter weight in a side by side setup. Mine's no where near stock anymore though.. I wouldn't recommend the piggy backing of such a large scope... Mine didn't seem to like it plus, i think it would be really really tall! Your better of going with a side by side setup. I don't use a c14 or have a g11 to compare..

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Celestron CGE-PRO Questions new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5639222 - 01/23/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

I've put about 70+ on mine with about 74lbs of counter weight in a side by side setup. Mine's no where near stock anymore though.. I wouldn't recommend the piggy backing of such a large scope... Mine didn't seem to like it plus, i think it would be really really tall! Your better of going with a side by side setup. I don't use a c14 or have a g11 to compare..

People have also said the side by side balance easier on a mount by keeping the weight toward the center of gravity. What scopes were you using to get to 70+ pounds and how did that react?
Were you doing visual or astrophotography with that load?

...Thanks for the response..

....Ralph

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Celestron CGE-PRO Questions new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5639246 - 01/23/13 05:05 PM

astrophoto.

Just the HD11 and onyx 80.. full camera load.. I had the SBS bar more centered for a clearance issue at the time so I had to add weight to the top of the onyx 80 to achieve balance.. There is also about 6 lbs in front of each scope. Needless to say, I don't have it setup like this anymore..

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 606

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics