Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
KarlL
sage
*****

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: Northern Illinois
Astrotelescopes AT102F11
      #5639327 - 01/23/13 06:01 PM

Any impressions of the Astrotelescopes AT102F11? CA? Build quality? Image quality?

Regards,

Karl


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: KarlL]
      #5640462 - 01/24/13 11:20 AM

If I remember correctly Dennis DiCicco did a great review of it about a year ago in Sky & Telescope.
One nice thing about a slow scope (F11) is that low cost eyepieces will work well in it.
Rex


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pete-LH
sage
*****

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: KarlL]
      #5641104 - 01/24/13 05:24 PM

Check out

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=refractor...

There have been quite a few discussions on this OTA, mostly very positive. This is one of the first. I also think there was a review in S&T Magazine.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #5641388 - 01/24/13 08:12 PM

I love mine. I've had it for over a year now; got it after they resolved the focuser issue. It's excellent optically and mechanically. I should add however that I am old school and strictly a visual observer. The reviews in S&T and on the web (chuck hawks) ore straight on. I've looked through 4 inch Unitrons, and as they say, it is very compatible. Mine is definitely a keeper.

Edited by terraclarke (01/25/13 02:05 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5641863 - 01/25/13 01:58 AM

Sorry i don't mean to hijack the thread but Terra have you ever did a side by side with your Sears 6344 and the astrotelescope? I own the same Sears as you and I feel the optics are pretty fantastic!! Was just curious as to how they compare. Again, i don't mean to hijack the thread , so if you want to PM me, that would be great. Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5642206 - 01/25/13 09:43 AM

Hi Bob,

I've never had them out at the same time, but I should do that. My Sears 6344, like yours is amazing- really Unitron like in quality, both optically, and in many ways, mechanically. I plan on setting it up along with my 3 inch Unitron that will soon be equatorially mounted and become a 142. I imagine it would be a close race. I have had both the Sears and the 102 F/11 set up on the same day but different times to do solar, using a Lunt 1.25 inch wedge and a Baader continuum filter and they were pretty much identical on sunspot detail and granulation; of course there the limit is placed on daytime seeing (conventional turbulence) so you can't take either up to the magnification limit of theoretical resolution. The same when I set them up for H-alpha. They are both excellent and I wouldn't trade either. I'll let you know when I do a couple of side by sides on Jupiter when the weather warms up a bit.

Terra


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5642260 - 01/25/13 10:12 AM

I have this scope and I really like it. One thing to consider is its size. It is very big for a 4" scope and it needs a very stable mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #5642685 - 01/25/13 02:18 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

I find the CG-4 to be quite capable with this scope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5642927 - 01/25/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob,

I've never had them out at the same time, but I should do that. My Sears 6344, like yours is amazing- really Unitron like in quality, both optically, and in many ways, mechanically. I plan on setting it up along with my 3 inch Unitron that will soon be equatorially mounted and become a 142. I imagine it would be a close race. I have had both the Sears and the 102 F/11 set up on the same day but different times to do solar, using a Lunt 1.25 inch wedge and a Baader continuum filter and they were pretty much identical on sunspot detail and granulation; of course there the limit is placed on daytime seeing (conventional turbulence) so you can't take either up to the magnification limit of theoretical resolution. The same when I set them up for H-alpha. They are both excellent and I wouldn't trade either. I'll let you know when I do a couple of side by sides on Jupiter when the weather warms up a bit.

Terra




thanks Terra!! bob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: KarlL]
      #5643146 - 01/25/13 06:50 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Good build quality and very good image quality. If you are puzzling over a finder The mounting bracket for a schmidt cass bolts on the top of the rings.
Quote:

Any impressions of the Astrotelescopes AT102F11? CA? Build quality? Image quality?

Regards,

Karl




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Mike W]
      #5643154 - 01/25/13 06:51 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Here's a couple more photos
Quote:

Good build quality and very good image quality. If you are puzzling over a finder The mounting bracket for a schmidt cass bolts on the top of the rings.
Quote:

Any impressions of the Astrotelescopes AT102F11? CA? Build quality? Image quality?

Regards,

Karl







Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Mike W]
      #5643156 - 01/25/13 06:52 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

It's a keeper but so is my TV102. I just have a thing for longer f/l refractors.
Quote:

Good build quality and very good image quality. If you are puzzling over a finder The mounting bracket for a schmidt cass bolts on the top of the rings.
Quote:

Any impressions of the Astrotelescopes AT102F11? CA? Build quality? Image quality?

Regards,

Karl










Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Mike W]
      #5643443 - 01/25/13 09:58 PM

If you look at the photograph of mine in the post above, you will notice that the large finder is attached to a special mounting ring sitting just above the focuser housing and below the balance weight. However you will also notice that a reflex finder is attached by a standard finder shoe to the focuser housing. If you examine the focuser housing carefully you will notice that there are two recessed Allen head screws (M4) nor right and one left of center on the upper part of the housing. These are removable and do nothing but provide a threaded hole for attaching a finder. This is a well kept secret and you will find nothing about it in the literature or the reviews. However, they are there and are quite serviceable.

Terra


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5643948 - 01/26/13 08:29 AM

Good find! Although I find it much easier on the back and knees having the focuser moved forward. I have the old style focoser(crayford) and i'm not sure those holes are there, have to look. Also I see you have a 90deg. finder and I prefer a strait throuth. I guess it would come down to which finder you prefer.
Quote:

If you look at the photograph of mine in the post above, you will notice that the large finder is attached to a special mounting ring sitting just above the focuser housing and below the balance weight. However you will also notice that a reflex finder is attached by a standard finder shoe to the focuser housing. If you examine the focuser housing carefully you will notice that there are two recessed Allen head screws (M4) nor right and one left of center on the upper part of the housing. These are removable and do nothing but provide a threaded hole for attaching a finder. This is a well kept secret and you will find nothing about it in the literature or the reviews. However, they are there and are quite serviceable.

Terra




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don Taylor
professor emeritus


Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5643949 - 01/26/13 08:30 AM

Yes, there are unused threaded holes in the new rack & piñon focuser as well. I chose to use a strut to mount the finder shoe as the finder bracket I already had was not contoured for the small diameter of the focuser. Could have used a different finder and bracket with the existing holes.



Edited by Don Taylor (01/26/13 09:03 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5643965 - 01/26/13 08:42 AM

My Crayford focuser doesn't have those holes, which in my case doesn't matter. I'd still mount it were it is but for a 90deg. finder that's great!
Quote:

If you look at the photograph of mine in the post above, you will notice that the large finder is attached to a special mounting ring sitting just above the focuser housing and below the balance weight. However you will also notice that a reflex finder is attached by a standard finder shoe to the focuser housing. If you examine the focuser housing carefully you will notice that there are two recessed Allen head screws (M4) nor right and one left of center on the upper part of the housing. These are removable and do nothing but provide a threaded hole for attaching a finder. This is a well kept secret and you will find nothing about it in the literature or the reviews. However, they are there and are quite serviceable.

Terra




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Mike W]
      #5644163 - 01/26/13 10:56 AM

Hi Mike, I too prefer straight through and change finders amongst various scopes. That's why I put the reflex site on, only use it when the right angle finder is on the scope rather than the straight through. In fact this is the only right angle that I have amongst a half dozen straight thru. One thing I do like though is the correct rather than inverted or right-left backwards images when comparing what I am seeing in the finder to what I am seeing on a map.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5644814 - 01/26/13 05:54 PM

Thats why I bought the ES finder, its correct image is less confusing (I'm confused enough!) I have a reflex finder on my TV102 that I like even better. I broke down and bought another Gibraltar mount but this time with Sky Tour. Getting lazy I guess! Some nights I'll put the AT102 on my G-8 and find stuff with the TV & sky tour, look thru the reflex to see where it is and then find it in the AT102 and let the mount follow it. Also I can mount the two refractors side by side on the g-8 and not have to switch eyepieces for high or low mag.
Quote:

Hi Mike, I too prefer straight through and change finders amongst various scopes. That's why I put the reflex site on, only use it when the right angle finder is on the scope rather than the straight through. In fact this is the only right angle that I have amongst a half dozen straight thru. One thing I do like though is the correct rather than inverted or right-left backwards images when comparing what I am seeing in the finder to what I am seeing on a map.




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lcaldero
sage
*****

Reged: 04/07/11

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: Mike W]
      #5645126 - 01/26/13 09:04 PM

I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but wow Terra you have solved problems I am still grappling with with for my Sv102a - f8.7', lovely ft focuser but no integral finder mount. I have tried a lot of SV's doo- dads to attach a finder to rings or clamshells, but I like my correct image straight through finder closer to the ep, and fiddling with the balance, argh. Can you tells us a little more about the counter-weight on OTA?

To the OP, this post should be a great help in your decision, attention to balance and mounting your finder are important details! Let us know what you decide!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike W
sage


Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Astrotelescopes AT102F11 new [Re: lcaldero]
      #5645171 - 01/26/13 09:39 PM

Not to answer for Terra but the counterweight is probably to slide the scope forward making the focuser easier to miss the tripod(Zenith observing) I would like to know where she got the counterweight?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
22 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 3062

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics