Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: ChristinaLeGrand]
      #5628256 - 01/17/13 03:04 PM

Can't speak for The Big Island, but I've spent a bit of time on Maui and have known a couple of people who lived in Maui. One was in his 60's and has been in the telescope building business for many years. He was living in Kahului and was working at one of the observatories on Haleakala. He spent several years there and was quite glad to get back to the Mainland. Not because of island fever but because Haoles aren't treated very well.

The locals love ya when you're a tourist but when you move there, it's a different story. From what I understand, it's even worse if you have kids in school.

I've heard similar stories from a couple of folks who moved to Maui. Big Island or Oahu might be different, but it's worth considering and investigating.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5638875 - 01/23/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

Can't speak for The Big Island, but I've spent a bit of time on Maui and have known a couple of people who lived in Maui. One was in his 60's and has been in the telescope building business for many years. He was living in Kahului and was working at one of the observatories on Haleakala. He spent several years there and was quite glad to get back to the Mainland. Not because of island fever but because Haoles aren't treated very well.

The locals love ya when you're a tourist but when you move there, it's a different story. From what I understand, it's even worse if you have kids in school.

I've heard similar stories from a couple of folks who moved to Maui. Big Island or Oahu might be different, but it's worth considering and investigating.

It can be a bit of an issue being a haole (white person) moving to Hawaii from the Mainland. I lived on Kauai in the first half of the 1980s and every now and then, I'd run across a local who wasn't that crazy about us Mainlanders.

(By the way, one of the worst things you can say in Hawaii is "Back in the States..." Hawaii is a state!)

Living in Hawaii can get very expensive. Don't forget everything has to be shipped over from overseas, everything from toys to trucks to telephone poles, and it will reflect in the budget. I can't speak for the Big Island, but I think Kauai still has the most expensive electricity rates in the entire country, or at least it did when my folks and I lived there.

I ended up moving back to California because of "island fever"--Kauai is a much smaller island than the Big Island and it drove me bats after seven years! (Although I always loved the weather, as a warm-climate boy who wants to hibernate when it's below 70 degrees. A typical weather forecast you'll hear on TV newscasts in Honolulu: "Mostly sunny with a few windward and mauka [toward the mountains] showers, highs in the low 80s, lows in the upper 60s. Trade winds five to fifteen miles per hour." That's it! No five minute spiel on what's happening with the weather in other parts of the country, with maps showing the highs and lows, cold fronts and warm fronts.)

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5638923 - 01/23/13 01:15 PM

Lots of good advice here. We made our first visit back in 1992 to the Big Island, Oahu, and Maui. We were there for nine days, six of them were constant rain, the other three made the trip worthwhile.

Later, we moved out to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands for a few years, and were always passing through or vacationing in Hawaii. We decided for a while to look into retiring there, even checked out land prices on the Big Island which were surprisingly not too pricey on the southeast. We read a couple of books of advice on considering the retirement concept. The two observations that stuck with us are that you are a long way from anywhere you are accustomed to, including family members. And, as you reach and pass retirement age, medical care access can be a concern. If you get hurt or sick, major care can be a long way away, especially if you are not on Oahu.

Good Luck!

ChristinaLeGrand

Reged: 01/15/13

Loc: Plano, Texas
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5638936 - 01/23/13 01:24 PM

Thanks for the thoughts and info! All of it is appreciated!

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5638941 - 01/23/13 01:28 PM

Thank you for your thoughts and the info! Yes, land prices on the Big Island are reasonable. We will be there in July to check everything out in person. Lucky or unlucky - we do not have much in the way of family; the family members I do have will be happy to come and visit! Thanks again for the info!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: MikeRatcliff]
      #5638961 - 01/23/13 01:40 PM

Quote:

There is a long-time member of Cloudy Nights named "Erik" (that's his CN name) who moved to Hawaii a few years ago.

Indeed, Erik will be a great help with your questions. We followed his build of his observatory there, and he has lots of fantastic ideas on how to live "outside the grid".

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5638998 - 01/23/13 02:21 PM

Thank you, Carol! Yes, we have made contact with Erik and have accounts on his Forum. Lots of GREAT information there! Thanks again for the post! Best Regards, Christina

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5639031 - 01/23/13 02:40 PM

mikewirths
Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

Reged: 06/16/08

Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico
      #5639065 - 01/23/13 03:09 PM

Hi Christina,

Looks like we have a very similar "stable" of telescopes!
I'm sure Hawaii would be a grand place for astronomy but just to throw out another consideration for you, have you guys thought about Baja California? Cost of living here is much lower than socal and the people are very friendly.
Since munch of the peninsula is desert and there are many small mtn ranges the possibilities are many. Most of the peninsula is in a black zone light pollution wise.

all the best

Mike

ChristinaLeGrand

Re: Considering Move to Big Island of Hawaii [Re: mikewirths]
      #5639571 - 01/23/13 09:18 PM

Hello Mike!

Wow - you're right - we do have the same scopes! An 18" and a 30" Starmaster; amazing! Sounds like you have a wonderful location there - warm temperatures and black skies! We'll keep it in mind!

Thanks again!
Christina

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1519

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics