Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Aperture.. who cares
      #5639706 - 01/23/13 10:43 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

So I went silly and got myself a TS 50mm ED, and that for Visual mainly lol
This one is from TeleskopService but it comes from different brands (Stellarvue has it too)

Problem for me is to squeeze as much sky as I can out of casual opportunities, having no garden and no windows to speak of,
I decided to go crazy with portability figuring any sky is better than no sky.

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon Iím fine (at least thatís what I tell myself)
Iím sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

Portable it is. Hold your horses, I can fit the scope itself, a star diagonal, a 45į diagonal (ah the luxury), a 2.5x Barlow,
2 fixed eyepieces of choice, a red dot finder and a 8-24 zoom all in a Camera box no bigger than 12Ē by 9Ē
For mount I use a real cheap alu/plastic photo tripod and Iím good to go.
I do have a sturdier one but its heavy so I prefer the weight of the cheap one.

First light: A little curse for a little scope, tonight I got a fluffy sky with a rare hole in the cover here and there,
but enough to get a quick peak at the moon (Sharp as a whistle). The scope looks promising, so I'm happy.

Iím sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. itís soo cute

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5639721 - 01/23/13 10:48 PM

LOVE it.

-- Chris

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5639726 - 01/23/13 10:51 PM

That is a cute little scope. hey, as long as you can observe with it, it doesn't matter. I kind of like it. Great for a quick grab a peak at the moon thingie.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5639798 - 01/23/13 11:47 PM

An adorable baby you got there! I'm with you 100% in the 'nifty fifty ultralight' club. My ABS plastic Galileoscope 50mm F/10 Achromat is actually one of of my favorite and most frequently used scopes, funny enough! It is just so convenient to keep it handy and to whisk it outside, especially for those times when I might just need a quick peek to satisfy me in between various errands and tasks (and for hunting down solar spots during the day with a Baader white light filter too, just something for you to think about in case you are not doing so already! ). Adding an Orion slow motion adaptor between the scope and the tripod (Baader sells almost the same one under the name witty I believe) has helped a lot. It is amazing what even a 50mm can show you. Aperture schmaperture!

Gert K A
sage

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5639831 - 01/24/13 12:13 AM

Thanks guys

Ahh man I did look at the Witty and had it in my shopping cart but skipped it last minute due to the cause that it looked fiddly.
So that actually works, good to hear of it.
Darn now I just got to go shopping soon again, the drudge lol

A sun filter of sorts will come, in time though. I know next to nothing of solar observing especially the gear it entails
and need time to figure whatís best to get also it all looks kind of pricey so I donít want to mess that up.
But one should have some sort of means to view our local star I guess.

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5639832 - 01/24/13 12:13 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

Yup, I love small scopes too. Portability rules.

My smallest scope in my arsenal of scopes (all 150mm or less) is also a 50mm Galileoscope, but it gives sharp views of the Moon and planets when used in conjuction with budget Celestron Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces.

Here is my scope at a bus stop in Helsinki (Finland), mounted on a lightweight Slik camera tripod. Easy to pack inside a backpack as carry-on luggage on trips to Europe.

pogobbler
sage

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5639889 - 01/24/13 01:04 AM

Whenever I'm using a small scope and thinking the view would be better in a bigger one, I remind myself that Galileo would probably have killed kittens to look through any of my scopes.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

#5639900 - 01/24/13 01:17 AM

Hmmm, a top quality Baader white light solar filter for under 40 or so Euros shipped, that would give you crisp views of the surface of Sol right as we head into her peak activity cycle, and a whole subforum to get you going http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/solar (I am such a little devil on the shoulder, eh )
Let's just say you owe it to your new baby of the family there. He needs his occasional doses of vitamin D!

http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/solar-observing-filters/telescopes/bino...
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/en/manufacturers_id/92...
http://agenaastro.com/optical-accessories/filters/solar-filters.html?dir=asc&...

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51įN 4įE
      #5640007 - 01/24/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon Iím fine (at least thatís what I tell myself)
Iím sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

With a 10x50 binocular you'd get a significantly brighter and more contrasty image. That's what using two eyes does for you.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5640033 - 01/24/13 05:34 AM

Gert, that is a really nice setup and I'm sure you are going to enjoy it a lot. It also makes a wonderful compliment to your larger Newt.

Ed D

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5640046 - 01/24/13 05:49 AM

Quote:

Iím sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. itís soo cute

It is a cutie..

I will be interested to see how it works out for you. My experience with scopes around 60mm is that they provide enjoyable views but my eye misses the aperture of an 80mm.

Jon

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

#5640106 - 01/24/13 07:11 AM

Gert,
On crisp, clear winter nights when those with the large apertures cringe at the effect of the nightís turbulent atmosphere and its scintillation on their images, your brave little soldier will experience hardly a hiccup.

Be proud and confident that your 50 mm champion will deliver gorgeous star images and a velvety dark background that could be the envy of those tied to the behemoths even under adverse conditions. While they are calculating whether it will be worth the setup time, cool-down time and twinkle of the night, you have the advantage of agility. You can decide on a whim to take advantage of any clear sky. Remember the maxim: "If you aren't out there looking, you probably won't see anything".
------
C

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Cames]
      #5640196 - 01/24/13 08:46 AM

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5640244 - 01/24/13 09:21 AM

Quote:

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5640287 - 01/24/13 09:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

I have my AT72ED mounted to a Slik 700DX pro tripod on a Universal Astronomics Dwarf Star Mount. I really like the Dwarf Star it works perfectly.

Ken

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5640466 - 01/24/13 11:22 AM

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention

tnakazon
sage

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5640524 - 01/24/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

CJK
professor emeritus

#5640860 - 01/24/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

Finland is probably a little less exotic to Gert than to the rest of us, as he's just got to hop over Sweden to get there.

-- Chris

Jerry-rigged
sage

Reged: 01/30/12

Loc: Coastal Texas.
      #5640863 - 01/24/13 02:49 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Looks like Fun! I built up a 50mm scope out of an old bino lens, fl maybe 200mm I was supprised what I could see thru it in my orange/red zone skys. Someday I plan on mounting it to my dob as a finder, but in the mean time it is a fun ultra-light scope. Here it is on a light photo tripod with a 12mm X-cel for about 16x power.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jerry-rigged]
      #5640941 - 01/24/13 03:39 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Cute! Way back when we used to build little scopes out of surplus photocopier lenses, so-called copy-scopes. I used this one for many years to track satellites.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jerry-rigged]
      #5640959 - 01/24/13 03:51 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

And here I thought my 65mm was small Nice little scope there. Congrats!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5641014 - 01/24/13 04:34 PM

Size doesn't matter!

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
      #5641368 - 01/24/13 08:02 PM

Let's face it, we just like ALL scopes of any size, color, weight, power, price, etc, etc, etc.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: jgraham]
      #5641376 - 01/24/13 08:07 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Ok, here's my rig.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: rflinn68]
      #5641415 - 01/24/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

I take it other things go on that big mount ?

Neat to see this I was looking at the at 65's last night

Edited by lamplight (01/24/13 08:31 PM)

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: lamplight]
      #5641443 - 01/24/13 08:45 PM

And then if you want to get even more X-treme in the diminutive realms, you have penscopes! http://www.monocular.info/penscope.htm
My first 'toy' telescope was a little plastic one like this from Edmund Scientific, I see they still sell it! Pocket Microscope & Telescope Kit:
http://www.scientificsonline.com/pocket-microscope-telescope-kit.html

10-15mm diameter objective lenses... for those times when you REALLY want to give the old aperture fever a big juicy raspberry!

Gert K A
sage

#5641476 - 01/24/13 08:59 PM

Hey Helsinki is pretty far I can get to Berlin and Oslo easier Stockholm is half the distance to Helsinki
a plane trip will take me around 1Ĺ hour though and besides Iím ashamed to admit I have yet never been there.
I had to look at the picture twice though to realise that it was not taken in Copenhagen,
so itís true it is not exotic to me at all lol

That Galileoscope look great, it looks like it can be broken in half is that right? If so very portable indeed.

And Leo that is just evil lol thx for the links I got a question:
If you get the full aperture filter what do you then use a Calcium filter for?
I also see those cool ceramic diagonals and get a serious case of the "equip bug" but man itís all pricey and by that not much up for experimentation.

@Cames thatís poetry and I love it

The tripod with a canvas bag is very cheap, in the $20 ballpark from new.
As I said itís a tester because my other tripod that is very sturdy indeed is also heavy.
In fact the cheap tripod and the scope weigh in a little less than half of the heavy tripod by itself.
I can and will surely swap between them whenever itís convenient.

Yay building a scope out of old binoís actually I found this interesting link once and love the concept:
Effects_miniature_optics_occultations

smallscopefanLeo
sage

#5641530 - 01/24/13 09:24 PM

Hi Gert, well I don't want to be condemned by anyone for going off on a solar filter tangent here .. but it IS your thread after all and you asked!

I am FAR from an authority on this matter, and all I know so far from firsthand experience is white light solar filter visual observing. I have the Baader as well as Seymour Solar mylar type filters for my scopes ranging in 50mm, 80mm and 100mm apertures. All of them are stopped down, but I would be curious to try full aperture as well at some point. I know next to zilch about Hydrogen Alpha and Calcium wavelength observing, so perhaps someone else can chime in about that, but would love to delve into those areas some day when funds allow for it! For now I would suggest to try it with baby steps like me lol, and tread in the shallow end of the pool here with affordable white light solar filters. Just be careful, Sol will put yer eye out in a jiff if you let her! Aim carefully, either with the shadow method or with a simple sun finder, commercial or homemade. Good luck and have fun with your new refractor!

tnakazon
sage

#5641570 - 01/24/13 09:45 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Yes, the GalileoScope can be broken in half, lengthwise.

I hope to get to Copenhagen soon, perhaps this year or next...

Besides the Hesburger (a local fast food chain), Helsinki has SFC or Southern Fried Chicken, a British franchise. I've seen it in Dublin as well. Berlin & Warsaw have KFC.

Which fried chicken franchise does Copenhagen have?

Besides small telescopes, I like fried chicken.

CJK
professor emeritus

#5641574 - 01/24/13 09:46 PM

You guys are killing me. Now I want either a burger or fried chicken.

-- Chris

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: CJK]
      #5641583 - 01/24/13 09:50 PM

Chicken..

Gert K A
sage

#5641609 - 01/24/13 10:02 PM

Beats me lol I do know we got the Mís. Chicken hmm I really donít know!!?
But we do have a variety of nice small restaurants and burger joints so Iím sure you will find something to your liking.

I never go fast though, except in refractors

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#5641981 - 01/25/13 06:28 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Not quite as small but still portable!

CJK
professor emeritus

#5642079 - 01/25/13 08:20 AM

Oh, so YOU were the guy who bought the last red AT72ED!!

-- Chris

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: CJK]
      #5642086 - 01/25/13 08:25 AM

It was blue, till it got embarassed. I mean, who needs TWO ladders to look into a refractor??????

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5642124 - 01/25/13 08:50 AM

My six year old girl insisted on Red! Yeah a quick snapshot in the garage just noticed the ladders! One is ten feet.

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
      #5642148 - 01/25/13 09:10 AM

Well I have a small scope, but not the small scope. For now, my little Celestron 80mm sits sidesaddle on a Bogen 3001, hanging from a piece of wood - which makes it a vibration monster. I happen to know that I'm getting one of those nice little Dwarfstar mounts for our wedding anniversary, and my long range plan is to hopefully replace the Celestron with the AT72ED. My next purchase, mos def, will be a pair of binoculars. I have a lot to learn about the night sky, and big wide views using easily portable equipment is the way to go for me. I'll pursue higher magnifications and bigger light gathering sometime later.

Brian

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: brianc99]
      #5642185 - 01/25/13 09:34 AM

You can't go wrong with the Dwarf Star. A great mount. Larry is a great guy to work with too. Be sure to get the eyepiece tray it is a nice add-on

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5642218 - 01/25/13 09:47 AM

Wait till you've seen Jack Eastman's 0.5" Celestron Reflector on an alt/az mount. Yep, .5", it was made from one of Clestron's first reflector mirrors. Actually has the Celstron nameplate on it.....

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: lamplight]
      #5642228 - 01/25/13 09:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I take it other things go on that big mount ?

Neat to see this I was looking at the at 65's last night

Its mounted on a CG5. You should see it on my CGEM DX!

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Cames]
      #5642240 - 01/25/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

On crisp, clear winter nights when those with the large apertures cringe at the effect of the nightís turbulent atmosphere and its scintillation on their images, your brave little soldier will experience hardly a hiccup.

This is a myth as far as I can tell. During times of mediocre seeing large scopes still have a better view. I own and enjoy having a C90, but it can't match my 12.5 dob under any conditions.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Atl]
      #5642363 - 01/25/13 11:17 AM

Well the small scope does gather less light so the fainter details won't be visible at all and therefore won't waver in and out of focus!

A long tube 50mm could be made with no visible CA except most scope manufacturs shorten the 50mm tube and sell f12 models.

A 50mm ground for use in a common 900mm long tube would be f18 .Wonder if there have been any?

I know there were f20 80mm sold in the pre-internet age.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: BigC]
      #5642398 - 01/25/13 11:39 AM

I saw an old used Russian made 70mm, think it was 1000mm f/l, at S&S Optica a while back. Nice looking scope, great optics. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, started with an "I" (I think). It was Russian made.

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Atl]
      #5642429 - 01/25/13 11:57 AM

ATL,

Magnification may have something to do with the effect.

When I look up on those nights, I see a sharp twinkling star.

When I look at the same with my 10x50 binoculars, the star image still looks good.

Same look with my dob, star looks like glowing ball of frizz that will not come into sharp focus. I'm not exactly enjoying what I'm seeing because I'm spoiled by the the view I get when seeing is great. That's all I'm saying is what looks good to me.
-------
C

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: BigC]
      #5642498 - 01/25/13 12:35 PM

Quote:

A long tube 50mm could be made with no visible CA except most scope manufacturs shorten the 50mm tube and sell f12 models.

Chromatic aberration increases with aperture, decreases with focal ratio. A 50mm F/12 achromat will be essentially color free, comparable to a 100mm F24 in terms of CA. A rule of thumb is that if the focal ratio is at least 5 times the aperture as measured in inches, the chromatic aberration will minimal and not distract from the image. This ratio is sometimes called the Chromatic Ratio. A 50mm F/12 has a Chromatic Ratio of 6.

As far as the seeing goes. A 50mm is quite small so it is unlikely that a 50mm would ever outperform a 12.5 inch. There are situations when the seeing is so bad that a 4 inch might outperform a 12.5 inch but in such situations, neither one is providing reasonable views. Of course this assumes the larger scope is thermally stable... Still.

I do care about aperture... I also care about portability.

Jon

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5643248 - 01/25/13 07:51 PM

My 102mm F5 achromat is horrible on Jupiter at high power. I cut the aperture down to 50mm and turned it into an F10. This pretty well eliminated all of the violet and turned a washed out image into a pleasing image. A dim..but very pleasing image.

Eric

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Eric63]
      #5643389 - 01/25/13 09:24 PM

One thing that I've noticed about my 16" is that the view always shows excellent resolution. When the seeing is bad it is just bouncing all over the place.

Gert K A
sage

#5643684 - 01/26/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

You can't go wrong with the Dwarf Star. A great mount. Larry is a great guy to work with too. Be sure to get the eyepiece tray it is a nice add-on

@ kenrenard
The Dwarf Star is a manual alt/az mount, only clutches no gears.. right?
Itís a real sweetie it fits well for a tiny setup and to my surprise very reasonably priced too.

@ Jon
You just know your stuff, I know you do and I do read all you advice with the outmost care
it is appreciated thx

Just to get back to this light cheapo mount I got, It is a huge compromise to use and is really only useful at the very lowest powers 25x at best,
I tested it out yesterday and I knew it was gonna require care,
it got a settle down time way in the +5sec, it shows me stars like this Light show and nice as that is
I will surely get to use the heavier mount the most.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#5644058 - 01/26/13 09:55 AM

Gert,
Yes the dwarf star is alt az weights about a pound and works very well. Larry makes an eyepiece tray and a handle for it. You can also use it as a simple binocular mount with the UA l bracket.

Ken

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
      #5644363 - 01/26/13 12:54 PM

I bought a used one from another CN member, and the spousal unit says I can have it for our anniversary. After trying to make do with an old video head and the scope mounted "side-saddle," I relented and decided to get something purpose-built. To say that it's "built" is an understatement. It may only weigh one pound, but I've got a feeling that someone will be able to make use of that mount long after my observing days are over.

Brian

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: brianc99]
      #5644436 - 01/26/13 01:47 PM

I bought mine directly from Larry at his shop. He really hand makes every part. Huge piles of steel dust everywhere. I don't think you could find a better piece of equipment.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3246

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics