Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: ? Orion Giant 25x100mm = Oberwerk 25x100 IF ? new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5639675 - 01/23/13 10:29 PM

I believe the supposed/potential "comet of the century" tail is supposed to be a long one. I have a variety of binos to cover the various wide views at different powers, and most likely they will be wide enough to cover the big one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim T

Reged: 12/15/10

Loc: MO
Re: ? Orion Giant 25x100mm = Oberwerk 25x100 IF ? [Re: faackanders2]
      #5639753 - 01/23/13 11:15 PM

Jarrod,

If either of these "great comets" sport a long tail (let's say, 30 degrees), you will not see the whole shebang in a bino's field of view. The higher the magnification, generally the smaller the FOV. Sometimes the best tool for the job is your naked eyes (and a very dark sky site).

I thoroughly enjoy chasing comets. From a dark sky site, the 10x50's are hard to beat. I own some 25x100's but have yet to build my planned parallelogram (I have bought the parts, it's just finding the time to build...).

My gracious wife bought me my 10x50's back in 1986 when Halley's comet came thru. With the lousy maps and small FOV I had, I could not find it in suburban light pollution near Pittsburgh in my 4.25" f/10 Edmund reflector. With the binos, it was found easily. Binos will help you observe these comets sooner (and later) when they are not so (hopefully) bright and graced with long tails.

I observed Hyakutake from my suburban home in Houston in 1996. I truly regret not taking the effort to drive an hour out of town to some conservation area to view its' tail in much larger fashion.

That was before the internet. Now you can KNOW if the tail is long before you commit to taking the drive. Plan for it now.

I might also recommend getting familiar with your camera and tripod. See if you can take a few pics now (soon) of Orion or the Big Dipper (etc.). Figure out how to do that, and you'll be a step ahead if either of these comets becomes naked-eye "with tail".

There are some great comet finding maps on the web these days. For starters, I recommend Skyhounds' comet chasing page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics